Gun Lord - Another new game by NG:DEV Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
The update won't work on a home system. It won't even work on a mvs board as long as the uni bios is set to home mode.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
The update won't work on a home system. It won't even work on a mvs board as long as the uni bios is set to home mode.

Damn, well that sucks. Guess I'll have to fire up the old MVS to do the update, I hope it still works.

Any idea if the game will run on the home system once the software is updated?

Is was supposed to be compatible with the Super MVS Converter II, just like Pink Bullets and Fast Striker.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Damn. I never even thought about updating the game on an AES with a converter. Good point. The test switch was an important part of the update process when I did Fast Striker. It was fussy, and the first PC I used didn't work. They provided full compatibility with the converter this time, but what about updates? This sucks.

We'll I was looking forward to updating this game to version 1.1, but with me having an analogue interactive, is this even possible? The instructions say about switching to DIP1. I'm just kinda bummed. I wish they had fixed the game before they released it. I mean I played it only one time and found the glitches. So am I just stuck with version 1.0? I mean it's a really good game, but $600.00 for an inferior version that I can't update
You're gonna have to open it up and get at the dip switches. They're inside.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I couldn't update the Fast Striker cart using my laptop connected to the cart in my cab. There were only 2 usb ports and neither of them were recognized. So this time I went for the AES version to skip over all that process.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
We'll I was looking forward to updating this game to version 1.1, but with me having an analogue interactive, is this even possible? The instructions say about switching to DIP1. I'm just kinda bummed. I wish they had fixed the game before they released it. I mean I played it only one time and found the glitches. So am I just stuck with version 1.0? I mean it's a really good game, but $600.00 for an inferior version that I can't update

Hold down start/select 2nd option. Debug dip settings change from 0 to 1

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
To start the update on an AES or CMVS without DIP1 access do the following:

Set BIOS to AES mode.
Startup game and hold in SELECT + A + B + C + D on player 1 until the update screen appears.

Alternative you can force the update too, by just booting it with the cable in and starting the update (may require good timing)

I will add this to the PDF.

Last edited:

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
That's strange as i was told it wouldn't work just yesterday but in this case i'm glad that i was wrong. Sorry, guys. Maybe it wasn't possible with the previous releases but it is now?

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
To start the update on an AES or CMVS without DIP1 access do the following:

Set BIOS to AES mode.
Startup game and hold in SELECT + A + B + C + D on player 1 until the update screen appears.

Alternative you can force the update too, by just booting it with the cable in and starting the update (may require good timing)

I will add this to the PDF.

OK, so as far as I can tell I was able to run the update successfully on my AES. I do not have a Universe BIOS, only the old Neo Geo debug BIOS.

While the cart was connected via the Super MVS Converter II I followed the instructions to launch ngdtupdater.exe, after the device driver was installed and the changes were made to the command prompt window. I had a choice of using comm port 3 or 5; 3 did not work (kept waiting for connection) but 5 did and immediatly started to erase the flash memory and then program it with the update.

It said it completed successfully and then had a message to power off. I complied but unfortunately my cart still boots to a blue ROM Check Sum screen with only partial characters being displayed (the top half). If I hit the reset switch on the AES I get to the "PLEASE WAiT" message with alternating pink and black horizontal lines.

Nothing happens after that.

This is exaclty what was happening before the update.

Last edited:

alphatrion

n00b
gunlord 1.1 update sucessfull

Thanks NGDEVTEAM for the info on how to do the update on my Analogue Interactive CMVS. The game is playing normally as far as I can tell. The changes made with the 1.1 update really polished and refined it. The minor changes really make a difference. I think this ranks up there as one of the best Neo Geo games made.

Now if I can only find out that level cheat code...:lolz:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Glad to hear they thought ahead about being able to do the update on a console. That's awesome.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
So has anybody gotten the game to play on an AES with the Converter? Just trying to figure out if anybody else is having the same problem.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I think this ranks up there as one of the best Neo Geo games made.
I think NGDev is great, but it's a bit revisionist to be saying that at this point in time. The console's time is over. Not to mention NGDev's games are slightly too German and homebrew-ish and not quite Neo Geo-ish enough. Sure it's a great game, but not a great Neo Geo game. Anyone understand what I'm getting at?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Did you actually play the game? The rolling eyes make it look as if you really didn't like it.

I haven't played it, and I'm not saying it's a bad game, but saying one of the best Neo Geo games is a homebrew? Just seems a bit sensationalist.
also, dude's got two posts. it's suspicious.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I haven't played it, and I'm not saying it's a bad game, but saying one of the best Neo Geo games is a homebrew?

Calling this homebrew is a bit of a slap in the face.

While it might not have been dev'd by some major company with hundreds of coders, I think it deserves a bit better status than homebrew.

l2yan00

Quiz Detective
got my copy in friday... updated it and all seems well. i played through a few stages but will dive into it more this week

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I don't consider the games to be homebrew at all. NGDEV has become a respected indie developer and as such the games are unofficial independent releases.

Out of the neo library, I consider there to be a top ~15 titles that are A/A+, a second block of about ~15 that are B+, a third block of about ~25 that are B, and another ~15 that are B- with everything else falling in below that. Having played the 1.1 patch extensively, I would place Gunlord (v1.1) at around the midpoint of the B+ block which ranks it at about the ~25th best neo title. Considering the size of the library and the quality of those top games, I think that's pretty damn good, especially for their first platformer.

neoXmen

n00b
I don't consider the games to be homebrew at all. NGDEV has become a respected indie developer and as such the games are unofficial independent releases.

Out of the neo library, I consider there to be a top ~15 titles that are A/A+, a second block of about ~15 that are B+, a third block of about ~25 that are B, and another ~15 that are B- with everything else falling in below that. Having played the 1.1 patch extensively, I would place Gunlord (v1.1) at around the midpoint of the B+ block which ranks it at about the ~25th best neo title. Considering the size of the library and the quality of those top games, I think that's pretty damn good, especially for their first platformer.

Agreed, Homebrew and Indie developer are two different things. NG:Dev is not "Homebrew" IMO. Producing quality games with the limited staff they have is an amazing accomplishment. I think top 20 is fair maybe higher. If you exclude fighters this game might be top 15 or better.

Last edited:

Ghegs

n00b
Updated my game today - it's definitely better now. Bossfights feel like bossfights and the shmup stage is so much more fun. Overall, the game feels more complete now, nobody should worry about missing out if they never play 1.0. This is Gun Lord proper.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
That's what I meant to say. "Indie developer" sounds about right.

Sounds about right.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Could someone with a Super MVS Converter II please test this game with it? I need to know if it actually works with the converter or not, or if there is an issue with my cart. Also please let me know what BIOS you have (stock, debug, Universe etc.).

I would really appreciate this!

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
Bought the game on 4/10/12 and received it today. Just updated it. While doing that the window displayed "Error warning Bank 13 corrupted". The update kept going and there was a final check up saying it was ok. I started the game and plays as it should. My question is if I will encounter some type of error later on, if so, can I redo the upgrade?
Great game by the way, something fresh to the Neo!

I've just tested Fast Striker and Gunlord on my japanese AES with the super converter 2. Stuck at the please wait screen with lots of green lines all over the screen. All my other MVS games works just fine. I'm using the stock bios.

If you really want to play MVS games in a proper way, I would suggest buying a CMVS. Both games works great on mine with unibios 3.

Hope this helps.

alphatrion

n00b
Bought the game on 4/10/12 and received it today. Just updated it. While doing that the window displayed "Error warning Bank 13 corrupted". The update kept going and there was a final check up saying it was ok. I started the game and plays as it should. My question is if I will encounter some type of error later on, if so, can I redo the upgrade?
Great game by the way, something fresh to the Neo!

I updated mine and got the same error. I was kind of worried it messed up, but it must be normal. I actually got that warning about 2 or 3 times. It said it updated sucessfully and the game plays normally so I guess it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.