Groundhog's Day Starter Pack

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Can't remember the name, but, there's a samurai game, on PS2 or XBox, where you can give up any sword that you get and have it "delivered" to you at the start of a new game+. So, in that spirit, if you were trapped in a Groundhog's Day loop, and you could gift yourself one item to have at the start of the next day, what would it be and why?

I'd probably go with money as I could use it for any number of shenanigans on my endlessly repeating day (and sometimes you just don't feel like robbing a bank). 😃

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Am I assuming if I don't forward myself some cash then I will have literally no money whatsoever? If that was the case then I guess it would have to be cash - presumably I'd also be naked too so I'd need to buy clothes etc. But if I had just a reasonable amount of stuff (clothes on my back and a couple of grand in a bank account perhaps) then I wouldn't be so interested in being rich, you don't have to have much money to be rich for a day.

So if that was the case it would have to be something that is nigh on essential but time consuming to buy - probably a car. I wouldn't want to spend half of every one of my repeating days going through the process of buying, insuring etc etc a car.

Or maybe just more cash and I get a taxi...

This is a good question.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Assume you start with whatever you already own, the "gift" is just something you acquire in your 24 hour repeating cycle and want to share with yourself on your next repeating day: think of it as a bonus tacked onto your starting stuff. Like, if you DID rob a bank, you could gift yourself, for the sake of discussion, let's say $100,000. If you spent that money on a new car, you could gift yourself the car instead, etc. When you woke up, the money or car would be there, but, your day would otherwise be reset to however it usually starts (i.e., the bank would be unrobbed again, a duplicate of the car would be back at the dealership, etc.)--you're just giving yourself some kind of starting advantage on your next repeating 24 hour cycle.