Gripe about "make an offer"

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Am I the only one who hates the "make me an offer" crap that people tend to say when trying to sell something? I mean, why not just set a damn price already? They can't say they don't know how much to sell it for, since you can look at the price guide. Sure full kits are sometimes hard to find, but my gripe is mainly about the loose carts.

This is not a knock on anyone specific, just the "make an offer" crap in general. Anyone else here besides me hate it also?

<small>[ July 17, 2003, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: 300wins ]</small>

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Pretty tired of this shit.

The 'Make me an offer' trick is so that you can
say I'll give you $100, and then the seller
will get back to you with

'But this other buyer
offered $150'

:rolleyes:

mlloyd

Morden's Lackey
I agree it sucks, I prefer to be told what they want for the game!

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Yeah it can be a bit irritating, but if a seller wants to do it that way there isn't much you can do. It is their sale afterall :(

I think the main problems we have are with scammers etc.

Kaz

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
There is nothing wrong with make an offer.

You say the seller should use the price guide, why shouldn't the buyer?

There are lots of ways to sell goods - sellers can choose which suits them.

There are lots of people to buy from - buy from those that suit you.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I'm about as guilty as most of this offense.

Usually, it's because it's a good way to solicit trades and get a baseline for where to negotiate from.

If someone offers you 50 bucks for a MS1, then you know what you have on your hands.

Most times, if the offer is fair, I just let the person have it. For me, it's the most problem-free way of dealing.

I Hate That Too. Seller Say's Make Me An Offer You Come Back With An Offer And They Laugh At Your Offer. I Don't Know About You Guy But I'm Going To Offer Low Before I Offer Going Price.
I Offer'd A Guy 5 Bucks Under Low And He Came Back With Yeah Right I Can Get More Than That , No Thanks . That Really Makes Me Want To offer More. I Mean Give Me A Break. If You Think The Offer Is To Low Come Back With What You Think You Should Get.

Mike

Bead Banger
You Should Really Not Type Like That. It Is Really Annoying And It Hurts The Eyes. Plus It Is A Lot Slower, And It Starts To Hurt Your Hand After A While.

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
Steve Rhine:
I Hate That Too. Seller Say's Make Me An Offer You Come Back With An Offer And They Laugh At Your Offer. I Don't Know About You Guy But I'm Going To Offer Low Before I Offer Going Price.
I Offer'd A Guy 5 Bucks Under Low And He Came Back With Yeah Right I Can Get More Than That , No Thanks . That Really Makes Me Want To offer More. I Mean Give Me A Break. If You Think The Offer Is To Low Come Back With What You Think You Should Get.
Thats a symptom of a bad seller, not specific of a 'make me an offer' seller.

HPMAN

UI resident
People should publicly auction their stuff instead of using this "make an offer" trick.

Especially when those people are related to price guides shame

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Those damned neo price guides are only guidelines...not even the neostore follows them for the most part. This is an expensive hobby and I think if a member has good references he should be able to request an offer, you want the most for what you have and since there is no concrete way of telling quality and condition, those aspects should be left to the discretion of the buyer...phew that was a mouthful.

It's all about competition.

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
So your argument is that it's too much of a pain in the ass for *YOU* to look at the price guide and make an offer based on that?

Seriously, I do this all the time because when I sell something it's because I *HAVE* to get rid of it, so I don't know or care what it's worth. I just want to know what people will pay me to take it off my hands.

Also, in the case of my cabs, I got a great deal on them. I really don't know what other people would be willing to pay for them. Sometimes people offer things in trade, where a set price would probably discourage that...and sometimes they offer me something in trade I've never really considered before.

I don't use this as a technuiqe to drive up prices. It's just a proven fact that things are worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for them.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
It's like buying a car from a used car lot. I don't even stop unless the prices are on the cars. Sure, I may miss a great deal, but to me it's not worth the hassle of dealing with the salesmen.

There will always be someone else out there selling the same thing with a set price.

And there will always be a buyer ready to make an offer before seeing a price.

Either way, I do things my way and they do them their way...

...but it's nothing to get pissed over...imo wink

<small>[ July 17, 2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: NGT ]</small>

"It's like buying a car from a used car lot. I don't even stop unless the prices are on the cars. Sure, I may miss a great deal, but to me it's not worth the hassle of dealing with the salesmen."

Right On The Nose. That's What I Was Thinking.

" You Should Really Not Type Like That. It Is Really Annoying "

Alright Smart Ass , Not That Your Opion Madders.
I'll Fuck'n Type The Way I Fuck'n Want.

Mike

Bead Banger
Steve Rhine

Alright Smart Ass , Not That Your Opion Madders.
I'll Fuck'n Type The Way I Fuck'n Want. [/QB]
Awww Steven.... why do you have to act like that?

Don't you love me anymore?

After all we've been through?

oh_no

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Yeah its pisser, but I have yet to buy anything from a guy like that all. All the people in my sig have set prices and are willing to neogiate if your buying in packages.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Well, I know I do it because a lot of people don't care that you may be willing to haggle, they just look at the prices and skip it if they think they're too high. If I say I have a an MVS cart priced at $50, some will look and say "what crack is this guy smoking?" (depending on the cart) and completely disreguard any dealings with me. But if I say make me an offer, then more people will be likely to respond, and if someone said "I'll give you $40 shipped for it" then chances are it'll sell, even though I had hoped to get $50, because I know when I sell, I want it gone NOW. Anyway, that's the way I see it, I think set prices "turn off" the customer in most cases.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
BlackSpy:
Steve Rhine:
Thats a symptom of a bad seller, not specific of a 'make me an offer' seller.
well then all the sellers that wanted offers from me have been bad ones!

Its as if "Make an offer" translates to:

1.) "Lets see how much I can get for this game, then I will sell to the highest bidder, heh heh heh, that'll get'em!"

or

2.) "I have no flickin idea how much this game is worth, lets use idea #1 above, heh heh heh boy i'm smart!"

I prefer a seller to outright state what he/she wants for the item. Make an offer... usually its a waste of time IMO.