Graphics corruption on MV1FZ [Solved: not the system]

pollsoda

n00b
Hi, I'm new to the MVS and just picked up a MV1FZ (MV1FZSB) board, and it boots to the checkerboard screen with no cartridge in the system. However, when I try booting a game, I get the following (see gallery below for more images):

1.JPG

Gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/WeH2e
http://sendvid.com/rg9sti5m (video)

I'm able to toggle DIP switch 1 and get to the hardware diagnostics menu. Video looks fine on the checkerboard screen and in the hardware menu, but not while booting a game.

I've cleaned the contacts on the cart as well as the system slot with electronics contact cleaner.

I only have a single game to try right now, but was curious if this looked like something obvious. I'm checking for broken traces, but haven't found any that jump out just yet. It has the NEO-MVH SLOT1FZ board as well, but I don't see any there either (as far as I can tell).

I've done the 5V only mod on this board and am powering it from a 5V 3A wall adapter directly to the 5V/GND pins on both sides of the board. (GND on A/B/1/2, 5V on C/D/3/4)

I'm familiar with/have a logic probe/multimeter, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!

edit: Full soap/water/dry bath on the board and riser slot. No difference. Pressing on some of the ICs while it's running seems to make no difference (checking for loose solder points). I have a EPROM burner and chips on the way, hopefully I can run the diag BIOS and uni on this thing and rule a few more things out. Removed the ridiculous amount of hot glue and cleaned under the battery pad, no visible corruption under the pad, and the battery is putting out 1.4V.

edit2: ran work ram test for about 15 minutes, no errors. connectivity between the cart slot pins and the riser slot solder points on the bottom of the mainboard seem good (tested them all, but I'll test them again). Been reading through some work logs related to corrupt graphics, but it seems like most of the cases involve gouged or melted traces.

edit3: Did the coin battery mod, no corrosion under the battery. Switched the power to only using Jamma pins 1 (GND) and 3 (5v). I do get left audio when I tap pin14 on the op-amp IC, and audio seems to play fine (no errors). I also tried tapping each of the ICs on the side while the system was running with a cart in it to check for loose solder points, but no errors. I can't rule out the cart at the moment; I opened it to clean it and found a dead cockroach. I also tested with the logic probe a bit, but nothing looked obviously dead - it's difficult to test this board with a cart in it.

edit4: Looks like it may be the Metal Slug cart. Got KOF99 in and it works perfectly, even with not-entirely-pristine contacts.

Last edited: