Gran Turismo 7

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Played a couple hours of it tonight- the actual racing gameplay is really, really good. However, every single thing surrounding it is terrible to the point that it makes me question if it's worth bothering, i.e. unskippable (and lengthy) cutscenes, bizarrely stupid progression via a map that you have to use to visit a fucking cafe in the woods to have dumb conversations with static screens to open new events, just generally unintuitive/unintelligent design decisions.

Like I said, the meat and bones gameplay is really good, but my thoughts, after a few hours into career mode, is that Turn 10 has just completely blown past Polyphony overall and GT is a a bad relic of racing games by comparison. I don't really remember the last time I played a game that made me think man that plays so well but also wastes my time in equal measure.

edit: game's fine I suppose. It's Gran Turismo, with roughly zero concessions to the fact that 15 years have passed since the first one. I definitely do not like the retarded cutscenes, conversations, and progression system, but the gameplay is good enough to make up for it. 7/10 that should have been better.

edit again, cuz fuck the police coming straight from the underground, young ni[my bad sorry]! - Actual racing gameplay, now that I've gotten some ways into it... is really good. I think I'd say superior to FORZA, though everything else around it is not good. But I guess the gameplay is the important part, so yeah, GT7 is really good if you don't mind hitting skip a lot and checking your phone when the game won't let you.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I preordered the special edition last year so I'm waiting for the steelcase to arrive, let's see how it plays. Though I find it fascinating that people have the urge to compare it to forza motorsport when it clearly has its own identity.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
15 years? 25 or so? Dunno
I'm tempted but not for £70 on the store fuck me

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Call me when I can buy a PS5 at retail like I can a 6 pack of beer. GT's been dead to me since 6 so I can wait a while longer I suppose.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
GT Sport was such a huge disappointment :E

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
All GT games with a name instead of a number in the title were disappointing.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Played a couple hours of it tonight- the actual racing gameplay is really, really good. However, every single thing surrounding it is terrible to the point that it makes me question if it's worth bothering, i.e. unskippable (and lengthy) cutscenes, bizarrely stupid progression via a map that you have to use to visit a fucking cafe in the woods to have dumb conversations with static screens to open new events, just generally unintuitive/unintelligent design decisions.

Like I said, the meat and bones gameplay is really good, but my thoughts, after a few hours into career mode, is that Turn 10 has just completely blown past Polyphony overall and GT is a a bad relic of racing games by comparison. I don't really remember the last time I played a game that made me think man that plays so well but also wastes my time in equal measure.

edit: game's fine I suppose. It's Gran Turismo, with roughly zero concessions to the fact that 15 years have passed since the first one. I definitely do not like the retarded cutscenes, conversations, and progression system, but the gameplay is good enough to make up for it. 7/10 that should have been better.

edit again, cuz fuck the police coming straight from the underground, young ni[my bad sorry]! - Actual racing gameplay, now that I've gotten some ways into it... is really good. I think I'd say superior to FORZA, though everything else around it is not good. But I guess the gameplay is the important part, so yeah, GT7 is really good if you don't mind hitting skip a lot and checking your phone when the game won't let you.

I agree with all of this. The lame as fuck design decisions and making the career mode like some sort of creepy dating sim with rich old men in a cafe is weird to say the least. Forza has it beat in that regard.

But, the actual racing sim is really really good. A huge improvement over GT Sport. Reminds me of the hay days of GT3 on PS2.

I play it on 60 fps mode on PS5 and it is gorgeous. Some of the GT class races are rock hard, just as they should be.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
It's just gran turismo
What were you expecting
It's great but if you wanted anything else you've bought the wrong game

Reactions: jro

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
What were you expecting

Some awareness of what their rivals have done in the last 20 years perhaps, but they probably snub their nose at western game design philosophies. Stuck up fagits.

Fuck this game btw, I just spent 25 minutes trying to get gold in a dirt challenge so I looked online as I suspected I must be missing something obvious. Turns out the game is bugged with the latest patch and dirt challenges are now fucked as the game uses the wrong tyres. ‘Wait for patch’.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Aside from the microtransaction thing that will probably rear its ugly head real soon, GT7 is great.

It's pretty obvious this is a greedy game considering how much cars cost, tuning parts cost and the frequency in which the game gives you money (hint hint, the competitive "Sport" mode allows for tuning instead of using the GT Sport model of not letting the player do that for online multiplayer balance). You can't even sell cars, at least in GT4 you could grind the Costa di Amalfi rally to sell the prize car over and over and over again. THAT is a valid and scary complaint about the game.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Quick rant, game is unplayable (you can’t even start GT mode) at the moment because of a problem found in the latest patch combined with the online DRM requirement baked into the game. Cunts.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Feels like it was released too soon with all the bugs, but yes it’s a solid game underneath the flaws

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I fucking refuse to even buy or play this game due to have to always be online DRM.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I honestly don't know why that bothers people

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I honestly don't know why that bothers people
It honestly comes down to a few issues but the biggest one to me is Sony having people spend 70 dollars on a game that when the service eventually shuts down for it, you're pretty much holding a paperweight of a game if you bought it physical or digital.

This is just a very anti-consumer way of doing business.

When the servers for the game went down earlier, you couldn't access almost any part of the game because it was requiring you to have an online connection. GT7 is overall a single player solo game. Being unable to play it because you have to be online is just gross.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Who buys modern physical games for the collection? Meh

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
See now you ask that question as if that's a rare thing but companies like Limited Run and Strictly Limited proves that there's a hard market for people who want to own physical media.

Now keep in mind while this generation of systems have both digital & physical options, Most games these days usually don't have the full games on the discs since day one patches are more common than not. The desire to own physical games however is still very much alive in this day and age. It's not as prevalent as it was years ago since a lot of people don't mind buying digital these days.

Generally tho solid state media overall will pretty much be here for awhile longer along with the folks who prefer them over digital store front goods.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I haven't owned any optical disc media for maybe 4yrs
Good riddance

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I just get whatever format is cheapest, usually it's the digital one since PSN has sales all the time.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
You're not wrong on that but Nintendo is an example of companies who are notorious for never lowering their prices on digital goods.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Standard gameplay is good, but I'm with jro - I could do without all the other crap. I really don't want to be patronized by so-called "GT experts", I just want to get on and play the game.

I really wish they'd do a pure graphical only update of GT2... that to me is still the best game in the series for pure gameplay. Awesome selection of cars, all elements were easy to access, great soundtrack... yeah... perhaps short of maybe a few tracks (by today's standards)... but otherwise best in the series for me.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Oh and those lottery ticket things are total bullshit as well. Every single one I've won has stiffed me with the weakest prize so far, and apparently there's no way to influence the outcome. Pffftt...