GP2X Wiz: Less than a month away?

Flavor

Saver,
Did you guys see that Giana's Return beta was released on the Wiz recently? I helped out with the Wiz version. It's a commercial-quality game if you ask me. I did a tiny writeup on it called Giana Sisters Download at the same blog I did my GP2X Wiz review. Post here if you try it and have any issues. I don't make game design decisions, but I talk to the guys that do.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So I'm thinking on picking one of these up. Is this handheld system as good as people say it is? I want it pretty much for running emulators. I was looking at the dingoo, but that looks crappy compared to the GP2x wiz. I have two psp's but never figured out how to hack them nor do I want too. What concerns me the most is how Neo Geo and Cps2 roms run on this. Do they run fine?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So I'm thinking on picking one of these up. Is this handheld system as good as people say it is? I want it pretty much for running emulators. I was looking at the dingoo, but that looks crappy compared to the GP2x wiz. I have two psp's but never figured out how to hack them nor do I want too. What concerns me the most is how Neo Geo and Cps2 roms run on this. Do they run fine?

I love mine. The screen is insanely clear [way better than emu's on the ghosty-McGhost PSP] As far as how they run? The answer is "very well". Very little frameskip on higher end CPS2 titles. No Neo at the moment, only Neo CD. Which is fine for me right now, but I am anxious for someone to recompile the Neo on it since it supposedly ran so great on the GP2X F200. So far, mine has been used primarily for Doom(s), Wolf3D, Quake 1 and 2 and Rise of the Triad. Sega Genesis [and Sega CD] and PC Engine run amazing on it, SNES as well.

Plenty to keep one busy for now, with only more to come...but its not nearly as widely supported as the GP2X yet, so...maybe look over the file archives and make sure there is enough there for you personally.

I love the shit out of mine.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I love mine. The screen is insanely clear [way better than emu's on the ghosty-McGhost PSP] As far as how they run? The answer is "very well". Very little frameskip on higher end CPS2 titles. No Neo at the moment, only Neo CD. Which is fine for me right now, but I am anxious for someone to recompile the Neo on it since it supposedly ran so great on the GP2X F200. So far, mine has been used primarily for Doom(s), Wolf3D, Quake 1 and 2 and Rise of the Triad. Sega Genesis [and Sega CD] and PC Engine run amazing on it, SNES as well.

Plenty to keep one busy for now, with only more to come...but its not nearly as widely supported as the GP2X yet, so...maybe look over the file archives and make sure there is enough there for you personally.

I love the shit out of mine.

Good Stuff!! I think I'm going to pick mine up next month. I'm pretty sure they'll release a Neo Emu eventually.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I just got it in yesterday and I have to say that I'm not that happy about the emu's they have for it. I'm having problems running the cps-2, and I followed the cache instructions. The Gba Emu does not recognize the same bios that I was using on my pc so that doesn't work either. The Pico Drive does not run any sega cd roms that I tried (Final Fight, Road Avenger, and Slipheed). It gets up to the splash screen, then freezes and yes I do have the sega cd bio's. The nes emulator does not run Mike Tyson's Punchout correctly. I'm like what the fuck.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
hmmm, i haven't tried the NES emu, but everything else you listed works great for me. Sega CD needs to be ISO/MP3's....I also haven't tried GBA yet. But CPS2 and Neo Cd, Sega CD/Genesis all work great. I've noticed things are a little tricky sometimes with paths and folder locations....but you should be safe if everything is dropped into that "game" folder.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I just got it in yesterday and I have to say that I'm not that happy about the emu's they have for it. I'm having problems running the cps-2, and I followed the cache instructions. The Gba Emu does not recognize the same bios that I was using on my pc so that doesn't work either. The Pico Drive does not run any sega cd roms that I tried (Final Fight, Road Avenger, and Slipheed). It gets up to the splash screen, then freezes and yes I do have the sega cd bio's. The nes emulator does not run Mike Tyson's Punchout correctly. I'm like what the fuck.

Did you pick up a Wiz or an F100/200?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
hmmm, i haven't tried the NES emu, but everything else you listed works great for me. Sega CD needs to be ISO/MP3's....I also haven't tried GBA yet. But CPS2 and Neo Cd, Sega CD/Genesis all work great. I've noticed things are a little tricky sometimes with paths and folder locations....but you should be safe if everything is dropped into that "game" folder.

I'm going to sit down with it a little more tonight and see if I could get figure out what the problem is.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Can someone check and see if there castlevania dracula x is screwed up on there pocket snes for the wiz. When I play the first stage, the flames are in front of the screen instead of being in the background. WTF!!

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Can someone check and see if there castlevania dracula x is screwed up on there pocket snes for the wiz. When I play the first stage, the flames are in front of the screen instead of being in the background. WTF!!

you have to turn on layer transparencies or something like that....but it will slow the fuck out of those screens.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
you have to turn on layer transparencies or something like that....but it will slow the fuck out of those screens.

I tried removing one of the background options in the hack menu but then like you said, there is major slow downs. Dam, that's like my favorite snes game 2. I hope they end up fixing that.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
For PocketSNES I'm using firmware 1.0.0, so your mileage may vary:

Sound rate: 22050 Mono

Frameskip: Auto

Region: Auto

Show FPS: OFF

Transparencies: ON

Cpu Speed: 780 (the highest my wiz is stable at)

MMU Hack: ON

Saving SRAM: Automatic

All "advanced hacks" are OFF.

With those settings Dracula X runs fine for me.

As for Punch Out, with "Accurate renderer" set to ON, there aren't any graphic glitches.

Not all romsets are working in the CPS2 emulator. You have to run Street Fighter Zero 3 instead of Alpha 3, etc.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Overclocking isn't yet possible in the NES emulator by the way, though games are almost fullspeed without it. I still have to set frameskip to 0 for Soda Popinski and above.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
For PocketSNES I'm using firmware 1.0.0, so your mileage may vary:

Sound rate: 22050 Mono

Frameskip: Auto

Region: Auto

Show FPS: OFF

Transparencies: ON

Cpu Speed: 780 (the highest my wiz is stable at)

MMU Hack: ON

Saving SRAM: Automatic

All "advanced hacks" are OFF.

With those settings Dracula X runs fine for me.

As for Punch Out, with "Accurate renderer" set to ON, there aren't any graphic glitches.

Not all romsets are working in the CPS2 emulator. You have to run Street Fighter Zero 3 instead of Alpha 3, etc.

I'm going to give these settings a try. Thanks. Dracula X is my favorite Snes game.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Just make sure you save the settings before returning to the game.

Flavor

Saver,
If you want to set the clock rate for a Wiz application, you can try this cpufreq application. You would need to create a script that runs cpufreq with the desired clock rate and then runs your desired app (like the NES emu).

If you want, you can check out this example of how they used cpufreq in a script to run Quake2.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
i haven't tried the MVS emu yet. Anxious to. What's everyone think?

I'm REALLY anxious for more dosbox stuff...and Duke 3D and Heretic/Hexen.

Also Atari Lynx would kick ass

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
anyone had any luck with DosBox? Its supposed to run Duke 3D perfectly, I'm just clueless on how to make profiles/.GPE files.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
MVS is decent, a couple of the metal slugs work pretty good, some of the other games are not supported yet, but thats to be expected. Personally i just want fullspeed and flawless nes and snes and i'm happy. I need my punch out fix ;)

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
I have used DosBox extensively in Linux and for certain things you need to just do a lot of fiddling to get things running. I think the documentation that comes with the GP2X versions has all the details. The basic stuff you have to lay out in the config files are mostly things like SoundBlaster settings, control mappings, and emulation setting like FPS, CPU cycles, memory, etc. More fine tuning is generally required there because the GP2X is a more limited system in pretty much all respects compared to a PC. It makes alot of sense once you learn the file syntax, which should be layed out in the documentation.