Got my first cab today!

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Those look like the bullet holes from Lethal Enforcers. That was a Knoami Game not Data East though.

It might have been converted to a Konami game before a neo... but that curved front bezel area means that it originally from the factory was most likely a Data East game.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
It might have been converted to a Konami game before a neo... but that curved front bezel area means that it originally from the factory was most likely a Data East game.

Again, those bullet holes were from the guy I got it from. He put them on because he thought they looked cool. I'm not a fan, so off they go tomorrow.

I got a chance to mess around with it tonight...found some more stuff wrong with it but also fixed some stuff. Since all of our friends/family are out of town for the weekend, I ended up getting the cab in our apartment by myself. It wasn't so bad until I got to the short section of stairs...since the cab is lightish I was able to put it on a sled and drag it up w/o any damage. :)

Luckily whoever decided the cab would be MDII-only had the sense to tape the stickers onto the monitor bezel instead of sticking them. I was able to get all of them off intact. The MDII mini marquee is slightly warped and yellowed but otherwise good.

The flicker that was present when I tested the cab hasn't shown up again...I played around with the monitor knobs to see what they did and got the picture good enough for tonight. I'll tune it more tomorrow.

It looks like the cab was dropped on the control panel at one point...the wood is all broken and loose in spots. If I feel motivated enough I might have someone help me make a replacement. The buttons are all quick-connects so I could move them around if I wanted, which I might end up doing. One nice thing is that the board has DB15 ports, so if I get pissed off enough at the control panel I'll just plug in my AES sticks.

The sound is mono only but it sounds great. There was some crackling at first with MSX, but one reinsertion fixed that and I haven't heard it since.

It was also fun to dork around with the test menu since I've never had actual MVS hardware to play with.

lol I'm such a rambling noob, but this has been a goal of mine for a long time.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I love overtop

Man, you have a bad taste in games, brah.

Overtop fucking sucks - how many times can you play it?

Kan, glad you're having fun.

But take the following steps:

- Remove MVS board

- Place MVS board in a box

- Label said box to Xian Xi and have it consolized

- BURN the cab

- Throw that MVS converter in the trash

- Sell the AES

- Enjoy the best Neo experience you can have - sitting on your couch with REAL arcade hardware playing on a HD CRT.

- Or get a Candy...

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
^Fuck that, cabinets are better. TonK, you'll realize that in another two months, sell the CMVS just because, and buy a new cabinet.

Really, though, for the kinda money you spent on the cabinet, try to get a canby cabinet after you have to sell this one.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
^Fuck that, cabinets are better. TonK, you'll realize that in another two months, sell the CMVS just because, and buy a new cabinet.

Really, though, for the kinda money you spent on the cabinet, try to get a canby cabinet after you have to sell this one.

I have a cab.

Its in storage downtown at my uncles building.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I don't play overtop all that much, but when I do I definitely enjoy it, I know others here do too. BBH likes it and thats good enough for me. :make_fac:

Plus, yeah, I'd rather play arcade hardware in a cab where its supposed to be. consolizing arcade boards has always been pretty lame in my view. NeoGeo in a cab cannot be beaten.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I don't play overtop all that much, but when I do I definitely enjoy it, I know others here do too. BBH likes it and thats good enough for me. :make_fac:

Plus, yeah, I'd rather play arcade hardware in a cab where its supposed to be. consolizing arcade boards has always been pretty lame in my view. NeoGeo in a cab cannot be beaten.

kern - if BBH liked Metal Slug 3, Pulstar, GHOSTLOP?
:mad_2:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I have a cab.

Its in storage downtown at my uncles building.
If you want help moving it sometime, I can borrow a larger vehicle from someone in my family and help you move it in an afternoon; I just moved mine from my parents' place to mine a couple days ago. If I'm headed up that way sometime, i could drop by.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
This is not really related to my cab, but on our trip to see our family we got to play SVC and MS5 on a 4-slot. There's a Circus Arcade up here that keeps one with a nice selection of games and regular rotations. I wanted to play Shock Troopers 2nd Squad but we ran out of time. :( I whooped my wife's ass in SVC though, so it's all good.

After playing the 4-slot, I've decided that I'm rebuilding that control panel come hell or high water. What's on there will work until the new one is done, but GAWDAMMIT I want to play fighters the right way.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
This is not really related to my cab, but on our trip to see our family we got to play SVC and MS5 on a 4-slot. There's a Circus Arcade up here that keeps one with a nice selection of games and regular rotations. I wanted to play Shock Troopers 2nd Squad but we ran out of time. :( I whooped my wife's ass in SVC though, so it's all good.

After playing the 4-slot, I've decided that I'm rebuilding that control panel come hell or high water. What's on there will work until the new one is done, but GAWDAMMIT I want to play fighters the right way.

Kan, you lazy fuck!

Go get a holesaw and print this out!

_wsb_515x220_NeoGeo.jpg

20 minutes tops.

Worry about the holes later.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Kan, you lazy fuck!

Go get a holesaw and print this out!

_wsb_515x220_NeoGeo.jpg

20 minutes tops.

Worry about the holes later.

lol it's not a matter of being lazy, it's a matter of finding the time and the tools. I already have to replace one of the button switches and fiddle with the P2 joystick (not registering quarter-circle lefts correctly in fighting games).

I'm still deciding whether I want to invest the time and money into this cab, or just use it, abuse it, and then lose it once we move.

EDIT: Also, the whole panel would need to be replaced as the wood is pretty gross on the inside. The rest of the cab is fine, but that control panel had something happen to it...:scratch:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
lol it's not a matter of being lazy, it's a matter of finding the time and the tools. I already have to replace one of the button switches and fiddle with the P2 joystick (not registering quarter-circle lefts correctly in fighting games).

I'm still deciding whether I want to invest the time and money into this cab, or just use it, abuse it, and then lose it once we move.

EDIT: Also, the whole panel would need to be replaced as the wood is pretty gross on the inside. The rest of the cab is fine, but that control panel had something happen to it...:scratch:

I'm sure you have a drill or know someone who does.

Holesaws are cheap! ($8 or so)

Measure the width of your hole and buy the right hole saw, then just draw up a quick template and boom.

It would honestly take me 7 minures per side if that.

Very easy to do.

Will look ugly with the existing holes, but it will be done.

You CANNOT play neogeo on that.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I'm sure you have a drill or know someone who does.

Holesaws are cheap! ($8 or so)

Measure the width of your hole and buy the right hole saw, then just draw up a quick template and boom.

It would honestly take me 7 minures per side if that.

Very easy to do.

Will look ugly with the existing holes, but it will be done.

You CANNOT play neogeo on that.

lol alright I'll look at hole saws when I hit the hardware store tomorrow. I have to get new locks for the coin slot/back panel anyways.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
new button switches? new buttons .. and sticks.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure that used to be a Data East cab since it has a curved marquee. Possibly Ghost Busters.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I'm pretty sure that used to be a Data East cab since it has a curved marquee. Possibly Ghost Busters.

That's what a lot of other members have been saying. I personally love the rounded marquee...a lot of character and it looks great lit up.

Well, I did a little bit of repair work today...I put a new cam lock in the back panel and another cam lock in the coin slot. I also replaced a burnt bulb in the second player coin return, tuned up the monitor some more, fixed the inner monitor marquee, tightened up some screws on the control panel and cleaned the cartridge slot out.

Once my friend with the tools gets back to town we'll look into replacing that control panel. Should be pretty easy once the wood is shaped/button holes drilled.

OldSchoolGamer

Living teh 'Murican dream
Congrats on the cab Kan. Control Panel aside, the feeling of owning and playing on a cab is something that just cant be replicated. I like the marquee as well. It is different from what I am used to seeing.

Good luck fixing the CP but in the end, as long as its functional..that's what matters.

Hope you get a lot of playtime on that thing!

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Congratulations on getting the cab. It's not the prettiest, but I'm sure it'll serve its purpose. My first cab was a Dedicated Die Hard Arcade. Looked like a trash bucket. As a matter of fact, they were manufactured by a company that made trash buckets.

If you have the room, I'd take playing on a cab anyday over a TV/Supergun setup. Maybe it's just the nostalgia factor, but there is just something about playing on a cab. Tonk's right though, you need to quit being lazy and fix that CP. :loco:

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper

When I got my MVS-2-13 (two-slot mini-bigred) I took all the control hardware and decided to just junk it. The cab is mine and I want it to work perfectly and not have to deal with someone else's problem (which was the correct choice, considering I found dried cola gumming up the 2P joystick's microswitches).

I order directly from Happs and have been mostly happy with them.

Get new joysticks, buttons, a pair of momentary contact pushbuttons for coin-in buttons, and maybe a latching on/off button if you want to attempt the "pause button" mod (A neat hack. I did it on my machine).

Don't listen to tonk, if you want advice, I can help you. I have experience with both woodworking and electronics. ("hole saw" WTF? you'll scorch the wood. Use a 1-1/8" Forstner bit)

Last edited:

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
When I got my MVS-2-13 (two-slot mini-bigred) I took all the control hardware and decided to just junk it. The cab is mine and I want it to work perfectly and not have to deal with someone else's problem (which was the correct choice, considering I found dried cola gumming up the 2P joystick's microswitches).

Get new joysticks, buttons, a pair of momentary contact pushbuttons for coin-in buttons, and maybe a latching on/off button if you want to attempt the "pause button" mod (A neat hack. I did it on my machine).

Don't listen to tonk, if you want advice, I can help you. I have experience with both woodworking and electronics. ("hole saw" WTF? you'll scorch the wood. Use a 1-1/8" Forstner bit)

Cool, thanks for the advice! I didn't realize new joysticks were so cheap. I'll probably end up replacing all the buttons/sticks once I get my other games sold. Is there a joystick that's better/more reliable than the others? I don't need the Perfect 360 or anything, but I'd like to get a nice set of sticks.

Also, to everyone PMing me about those boots: stop. I already gave them away locally, and my PM box is getting full. I repeat: they're not for sale, stop asking.

TonK

Least Valuable Player

A hole saw will work just fine - make sure you get a good one.

NeoTheranthrope is talking from experience.

I've cut through a lot of MDF with a hole saw for speaker installations, and the wood was 5/8" thick - never had a problem.

I also did a few cabs I owned with a hole saw - never had a problem.

I'm assuming yuor control panel is wood and doesnt have a layer of 1/8" steel on the top?

Also, I build homes, so I kinda know how to use wood.

Spade bits also work great.

Just keep backing off and clearing the debris out when drilling or cutting.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
A hole saw will work just fine - make sure you get a good one.

NeoTheranthrope is talking from experience.

I've cut through a lot of MDF with a hole saw for speaker installations, and the wood was 5/8" thick - never had a problem.

I also did a few cabs I owned with a hole saw - never had a problem.

I'm assuming yuor control panel is wood and doesnt have a layer of 1/8" steel on the top?

Also, I build homes, so I kinda know how to use wood.

Spade bits also work great.

Just keep backing off and clearing the debris out when drilling or cutting.

Yeah, it's just wood with some thin plexi bolted on top.

I've been calling my friend with the tools all week, but we keep playing phone tag or he's busy. :(

I forgot that my wife has access to the wood shop at her college...I don't know what tools they have since it's mostly for sculptures/other art pieces, but it might get the job done. I'm going over to check it out tomorrow.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to get a NOS 4-slot overlay or just have her paint something SNK related...:scratch:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Yeah, it's just wood with some thin plexi bolted on top.

I've been calling my friend with the tools all week, but we keep playing phone tag or he's busy. :(

I forgot that my wife has access to the wood shop at her college...I don't know what tools they have since it's mostly for sculptures/other art pieces, but it might get the job done. I'm going over to check it out tomorrow.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to get a NOS 4-slot overlay or just have her paint something SNK related...:scratch:

Have her paint something because...

A: its free

B: its unique

C: From what I've seen, she is good at it...