Give me old PC game recs

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Solar Winds! Awesome open world space RPG with great music.

Blake Stone games
Spear of Destiny
Power Dolls
Dreamweb
Darkseed
Got Blake Stone and spear of destiny already. Was there more than one blakestone game? Haven't played solar winds yet but I understand it was done by the same guy behind epic pinball, which is really good.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Does that require a mouse to play?
I don't think it does.
I want to say it's primarily played with a KB and has limited gamepad support.
I haven't played it in a long time tho.

EDIT,
Wiki says I'm wrong.
Move with KB aim/shoot with the mouse.
Maybe there is a newer port that supports a pad that I'm thinking of.

Last edited:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Yep same one I have. Just in case you needed one. 👍

800px-Gravis_pc_gamepad_%28cropped%29.jpg

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Old Sierra games are cool like Kings Quest 1-4 should run on that same with Quest for Glory 1 and 2.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Blade Runner (point and click adventure)
Adventures of Willy Beamish
Star Wars Rebel Assault

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Blade Runner (point and click adventure)
Adventures of Willy Beamish
Star Wars Rebel Assault
Geez, Willy Beamish, in the realm of sierra and Lucas arts point and clicks, is it in the bottom, middle, or top of the pile? I've never played it but remember the hype when it was new. Computer stores regularly had it playing as a demonstration on demo PCs.

Blade runner is going to be out of scope for this PC. It's basically a slightly faster than normal 386.

Rebel assault is good, I've got the CD over here, but I'll need to get a cdrom drive installed first.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I'd say Willy Beamish is somewhere in the middle. Rise of the Dragon is worth checking out as well.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Geez, Willy Beamish, in the realm of sierra and Lucas arts point and clicks, is it in the bottom, middle, or top of the pile? I've never played it but remember the hype when it was new. Computer stores regularly had it playing as a demonstration on demo PCs.

Blade runner is going to be out of scope for this PC. It's basically a slightly faster than normal 386.

Rebel assault is good, I've got the CD over here, but I'll need to get a cdrom drive installed first.

I was about 11 or 12 when Willy Beamish came out, so it was right in my wheelhouse at the time. It rang true to life for a trouble making suburban kid like myself. Haven't revisited it, so I don't know how it would hold up. I certainly don't hear people waxing poetic about it nowadays the way they do about some other LucasArts and Sierra point and click games of that era, so maybe it's not great. But the puzzle solving involved pulling pranks in the classroom and terrorizing your little sister and such, and the goal was to get to the Nintari video game championship, so I was right at home with it back then. It definitely had a lot of charm.

Rebel Assault was the first time I remember being blown away by a game. My buddy down the road had parents who were really into high end electronics, so he always had a top of the line PC. And he had Rebel Assault when it was new. Playing it with a flight stick was an experience back then. The voice acting and the psuedo-3D flying graphics, it really felt like being in the Star Wars universe, and so far ahead of anything else that had come out prior, at least that I had seen. I suppose now, it's rather quaint, but for 1993, it was really pushing the envelope of what could be done.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Once you get a CDRom. Ripper is a good time in terms of FMV+point and click. Walken clearly reading cue cards is //chefkiss

Also, Phantasmagoria

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Needs a Pentium and Windows 95 anyway.

I'd check out the later games (read: less shitty and unfair) by Sierra instead of Willy Beamish. (LSL1 VGA, LSL6, KQ6, maybe the later Space Quest games).

Maybe Ultima 6 and 7 (if you can get it to run) or something like SimAnt or SimTower.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
If you're interested in military action sims, check out some MicroProse games of that era like Knights of the Sky, Silent Service II, F-15 Strike Eagle, F-19 Stealth Fighter, etc. Excellent stuff, really deep but still highly playable and fun, great manuals too (if you're going for og games).

The PC version of Civilization should also run OK on your rig, maybe even Civ II, but beware, it will steal all your megahurtz and keep you glued to your PC till the wee hours of the morning, soo friggin' addictive.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Leather Goddesses of Phobos
...and pretty much all the other Infocom text adventures. If you like that sorta stuff, this top of the tops excellent, can't get much better (exept maybe possibly for one or two Level 9 games).

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
...and pretty much all the other Infocom text adventures. If you like that sorta stuff, this top of the tops excellent, can't get much better (exept maybe possibly for one or two Level 9 games).

In all honesty I never played the game. I just remember seeing the box at Electronic lid Boutique and thinking it must be the greatest game ever.