give me blood

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I was posting in the Sam Sho thread in the news section and was stressing this point but felt it needed to be singled out more, hence the thread

there needs to be blood in it (any new samurai spirits/showdown coming down the line). you can't take blood out of SNK fighting games. it's not about the brutality it's about what the use of a little spatter here and there sais. it works. it's a visual language without which KOF and SS have suffered from lacking in later iterations. I emphasise this so that it's not taken at face value. blood pronounces what the game developper is putting across in terms of how it views the fighting game experience. if these games continue down the path of sanitization and only MK invest in it (as a bad joke becoming ever more boring), then I can say without hesitation that it was better back in the 90s. I was happy to be a graphics whore back then because graphics where a form of pixel art mostly. a little rouge please.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
if these games continue down the path of sanitization and only MK invest in it (as a bad joke becoming ever more boring), then I can say without hesitation that it was better back in the 90s.

Riki-Oh styled Spirits splatter >(infinitely)> Inglourious Basterds like Kombat exploitation

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
agreed.

I don't see this as a problem, but if blood is omitted for age rating purposes, it could be disabled by default, enabled through a cheat code or even (age locked) DLC.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I used to care about blood in MVS games, now I find that I don't even notice or really care. My boyfriend often reminds me after switching carts that I didn't enable blood. I do enable it if I remember, but I could happily take it either way.

Although, green/white blood is stupid and does bother me. No blood is much better than that IMO.

Removing boob bounce is much more lame than removing blood.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Certain things look better with it I think, like the Zetsumei Ougi movies!

Don't think it's the be all end all for the game, but it can add to the atmosphere.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Certain things look better with it I think, like the Zetsumei Ougi movies!

Don't think it's the be all end all for the game, but it can add to the atmosphere.

I won't lie, I find that all disgusting. I'm perfectly happy with SSV aside from it not being rebalanced. Just me.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I won't lie, I find that all disgusting. I'm perfectly happy with SSV aside from it not being rebalanced. Just me.

That's fair. I like SSV somewhat, but it felt rushed to me.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
That's fair. I like SSV somewhat, but it felt rushed to me.

It's been a LONG time since I've played these games, I owned both SSV and SSVS on both AES & MVS. Can you remind me of the benefits of SSVS? I know it supposed to be tweaked & rebalanced, but is it a LOT better? SSV is one of my favorite games to play. I just got my cart the other day and I'm obviously loving it but wished I could afford SSVS instead.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
It's been a LONG time since I've played these games, I owned bith SSV and SSVS on both AES & MVS. Can you remind me of the benefits of SSVS? I know it supposed to be tweaked & rebalanced, but is it a LOT better? SSV is one of my favorite games to play. I just got my cart tge ither day snd I'm obviously loving it but wished I could afford SSVS instead.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, outside of the character rebalancing and the addition of zetsumei ougi. The graphics got touched up, as well as the sounds/music and the boss characters from the older games were added, but they took out Sankuro, Yumeji and Poppy. At least they left Yoshitora!

Yoshitorass5.gif

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I guess it's a matter of opinion, outside of the character rebalancing and the addition of zetsumei ougi. The graphics got touched up, as well as the sounds/music and the boss characters from the older games were added, but they took out Sankuro, Yumeji and Poppy. At least they left Yoshitora!

View attachment 36892

Yeah, losing Poppy is heartbreaking. yumeji is kinda neat too, dig his mallet. Are the character sprites updated, or just the backgrounds? Also, is the rebalancing extremely obvious? I'm trying to justify this purchase, but all I'd really care about it is the rebalancing?

And, sorry for derailing. Back to the topic at hand.
article-1321698-0BAA9B22000005DC-712_468x484.jpg

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I remember the first time seeing Art of Fighting, and was blown away by the characters taking visual damage. That was always a highlight for me for that particular series.

Samurai Shodown, and any fighting game that uses weapons should have blood. Doesn't have to be extreme, but it adds to the atmosphere.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I remember the first time seeing Art of Fighting, and was blown away by the characters taking visual damage. That was always a highlight for me for that particular series.

Samurai Shodown, and any fighting game that uses weapons should have blood. Doesn't have to be extreme, but it adds to the atmosphere.

yep. same here. street brawling done with class, great memories (the zooming).

a swish of blood here and there. remember when SF2 characters would vomit ingame? Choi and Heidern would cut.
in fact blood and orochi is very much related no? what is Iori without bloodlust?

the dark side. you don't need to overstate it, just a glimpse into the abyss. is that too much to ask for?

tumblr_mnqkp6Ajpb1rwszdgo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Lifted from the 4Gamer KOF interview translation:

- The first company that Neo_G want for after graduating from school was SNK. He failed after applying for planner position because the test told him to draw Nakoruru, and he could only do stick figures. He played Samurai Shodown all the time and wants to make a seriously bloody Samurai Shodown for grown-ups, almost like an MK but with a traditional Japanese samurai drama taste.

Awesome