Ghost Pilots: Opinions wanted

thefub

Armored Scrum Object
I have liked shooters for a long time. I have always been a fan of the overhead or verticle variety. I recieved Ghost Pilots when I purchased my system over 3 months ago. I played it a few times when I first got it but was unimpressed. I just got done really sitting down and playing it.
I was very disappointed. Here is a few reasons why.

1. The plain is too big and too slow. I could not believe the controls on this game. You can barely get out of the way and there is no speed ups.

2. The bombs seem to be worthless in tough situations. All three choices are slow to release and do not save your ass. I may just be used to games where the bombs are quick and help when you are in trouble.

3. The power-up system lacks variety. I have not seen what it is like when you get more than four or five power-ups. Maybe it gets better but if you cant get that far whats the point. I am not saying I like when you max out after three but when you only have one weapon type it gets boring.

4. The music,sound effects and graphics leave much to be desired. I know it is an early release but I have heard better music in other early games.

Well I just did not like this game. This is one of the few games I have played on the Neo that I can not bare to play.

Just another worthlees FUB opinion.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
There is a Capcom series on the NES that GP reminds me of... 194x series.

Yes, it's an 8 bit game.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
it is a little slow by yesterdays standards. A classic, however pales compared to Aero Fighters 2 or 3 in my opinion.

<small>[ May 13, 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: leepantalone ]</small>

Freakit

Host for Orochi
I agree with you 100%.
why they even bothered to make that game I don't know.

I'm a shooter fan myself, and I'll be damned if I ever play that game again.

Thanks Bye Bye! drool

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
That's funny. I'm a huge shooter fan. I like it better than the Sonic Wings series spock .

Each unto their own I guess.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I actually like it. But like you said
the airplace is too damn slow.

This game is impossible to beat on one credit.
There's a discussion thread I made in the Gameplay
board about this game, probably two weeks ago if
you want to check it out...

Thank You,

Jorge

thefub

Armored Scrum Object
xtoo_short20x:
I actually like it. But like you said
the airplace is too damn slow.

This game is impossible to beat on one credit.
There's a discussion thread I made in the Gameplay
board about this game, probably two weeks ago if
you want to check it out...

Thank You,

Jorge
I'll check it out. Thanks.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I love shooters and I'm very picky about it when I make my purchase. I first played Ghost Pilots in 1996 and I thought it's a crappy outdated Neo shooter.

But I bought it last year and for odd reason I LOVE this game!!! I know it's kinda slow in gameplay and background is very plain. Hey, who cares! It's a very challenge game :)

thefub

Armored Scrum Object
What do you think of the bomb system?
I think that is a huge downfall of this game.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
thefub:
What do you think of the bomb system?
I think that is a huge downfall of this game.
Bomb system is alright.
The biggest downfall is the weapon power-up system.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
I think the game is good, except for the fact that it's really slow.

Freelancer

Banned
Normally I'm a huge shooter fan. I used to have this on AES and considered buying the MVS version of it for my current setup, but then I remembered how little I played GP.

Like Alpha Mission II, it gets kind of tiring when you constantly find yourself losing planes and going back to the standard 2 shot attack. It seems that it takes TOO LONG to power up to reasonable levels, and even then you won't last long enough with them. Taking out the bosses with the standard 2 shot gun just takes too long. I like games where the power ups are frequent..where you can go from 2 shots to 4 shots and so on quickly.

Your plane is a bit too large and the screen dimensions seem a bit odd...the bomb attacks are weak as many have mentioned and the collision detection is kind of funky. It's a decent game, but not something I'd spend the $$$ for again.

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
A LOT dated but it does take a while to complete so it is value for money unlike these other games that ae completed in 25 minutes

M

mr.nippy

Its still playable today, admittedly nothing great by today's standards, but I still like a go occasionaly.

Back in the day SNK were all about churning out all sorts of different types of games for the arcade, just to get the ball rolling.

I don't think it's fair to take these early games to pieces and disect them nowadays, look at games like League Bowling, and the Mahjong games, there's nothing great about them graphically, however they did their job - put coins in slots!

SNK never set out to make any masterpieces in the old days, they just liked to make stuff that was different from the others, to get everything off the ground. Ghost Pilots just filled a gap in their schedule at the time "WW2 Shooting game", just like their "American Football game" Football Frenzy, it was just like painting by numbers! loco

Baseley09

Hair Group,
It was average in its day, though not a bad play.

Then i would have given it maybe 75%, now its just far too outdated considering it wasnt a classic originally.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I think the openning intro and music are very cool...

Just wonder if anyone ever finishes this game????

BBH? I'm counting on you wink

thefub

Armored Scrum Object
Well I came home from work and decided I will try to beat this game. I had to cheat but I did it. I can't believe how long this game was. Of course the ending was not worth waiting for either. I can't see how anyone could endure this game in the arcade for that long. Sorry, but this game was just aweful.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
thefub:
Well I came home from work and decided I will try to beat this game. I had to cheat but I did it. I can't believe how long this game was. Of course the ending was not worth waiting for either. I can't see how anyone could endure this game in the arcade for that long. Sorry, but this game was just aweful.
Are you using emul, right? There is no way you can "cheat" on AES/MVS.........

Freelancer

Banned
Liquid Snake:

The only way I can finish it was by continuing over and over. This is also one of the few early Neo Geo games that doesn't have any voice!

thefub

Armored Scrum Object
Liquid Snake:
thefub:
Are you using emul, right? There is no way you can "cheat" on AES/MVS.........
I used my debug chip and gave myself 99 lives.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Liquid Snake:

if you mean on one credit, then sorry, there's no way I could ever do it :(

I did play all the way through it with a shitload of continues on an emulator. But it really wasn't that much fun.