Getting my first Aes Console

Irish Guy

n00b
Hey everyone, new to the forums. I'm a huge fan of old-skool coin-op games from 1985 - 1995 with the exception of the later Neo Geo games. I have 30 - 40% of all Neo Geo ROMS and they all kick ass (bar one or two) But I'm sick of having Neo Roms as there's nothing fun or orignal about them (That and I can only play 1 one player games on the computer, goddamn joypad keeled over on me a while back!), though they taught me what all the fuss was about with the Neo Geo.

Anywho I'm seriously considering in investing in an AES console this summer (Better start throwing them pennies into the jar) I was wondering what would be a good game (1 or 2, however deep my pocket can go!) to get with the console?

I seriously would love to either Fatal Fury 2 or Special.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
SamSho 2 is a given. It's affordable and is a great game; if not the best 2D fighter for the Neo Geo in my opinion.

aria

Former Moderator
Welcome!

If you like fighters, I would say Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown 2 are a good, not too expensive, first pair to have.

Irish Guy

n00b
Yeah I was just thinking, there would be no point get FF2 if Special was available. SS2 was another choice since I remember playing the first one so many times in the arcades when I was a wee lad. I'd love to have one of the KOF games, which is supposed to be the best (just wondering). I hear 96' or 2000' are the best ones? I can't fully enjoy fighter games on the keyboard, kinda tough to orchastrate a set of moves if you know what I mean.

stuffmonger

Baseball Star Hitter
my suggestion for the price influenced vintage gamer (like myself :D ): Get an mvs system, and get someone to consilize it for you... You can get a 2-slot, and even have the same joypads as the aes (I think). The games are also MUCH more affordable... ;)

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
A cheap KOF like 94' should do you happy, Sam Shou 2 is another great budget title :glee:

I could never get into Fatal Fury Special or FF2, I guess it must just be I'd been spoiled by newer (BETTER IMO) versions of the series and felt no connection to the older ones as I didn't grow up with them.

Irish Guy

n00b
Ah, I've a special bond with Fatal Fury. Terry Bogard gave me great inspiration for cartoons (I'm a cartoonist) his character desgin helped me draw my first cartoon character years and years ago. His shoes and the jeans and the mysteriously missing sleeves off his jacket.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
For KOF I would get 98 or 2k2

I know its so common to say those two are the best, but it's true. I'd choose 2k2 over 98 if given the chance, and the price isn't too outlandish right now.

Asura

Hardened Shock Trooper
Some good figthing games would be Samurai Shodown 2 & 4 (on my opinion), Last Blade 2, KIng of Fighters 98 and if you like Terry I suggest you to get Mark of the Wolves...I love his style in this one. Hope this can help you out. :)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
*Enforcer Cardinal jro hat on*
I am glad to see that you have taken Neo-Pope Kawasaki's advice to heart, madmanjock (ref. to sig). Do not forget what hath been spoken by the Neo-Pope.
*Enforcer Cardinal jro hat off*

A couple other cheapie AES carts you might consider picking up would be Magician Lord and Ghost Pilots. Neither one is a AAA title, but both are very solid and can be had for less than $40 for NOS.

Irish Guy

n00b
Cheers guys for all this, I was only expecting at least one reply. Goddamn though can't wait to own a Neo Geo, even during the Snes era I thought the Neo was like some sort of holy grail that only the richest kings of europe could enjoy.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
The Metal Slugs are pretty expensive, but hey're soooo good. :drool_2: I'd save up for 3.

zapatistab

One more suggestion. Unless you prefer the old style sticks or the Neo Pads, I would say get a Neo Hori Stick, or a Neo Mas Stick if you prefer a stick with U.S. parts. A Neo Hori Stick w/Sanwa parts is ideal if your into modding sticks. ;)

Irish Guy

n00b
I'm not too familiar in the joystick compartment. Whats the difference with the normal one and the Neo Hori stick?

zapatistab

Irish Guy said:
I'm not too familiar in the joystick compartment. Whats the difference with the normal one and the Neo Hori stick?

Old style sticks are the ones that originally came with the AES console. And the Hori Sticks are a 3rd party company who makes arcade sticks. Very good quality,

Old Style: http://www.japangamesnow.com/product_info.php?cPath=140_143&products_id=1233

Hori Neo Stick: http://www.japangamesnow.com/product_info.php?cPath=140_143&products_id=2029

Click on pic of stick to enlarge.

Asura

Hardened Shock Trooper
The Hori Neo Stick is more durable,more precise and gives you a more arcade feel than the Old Style Stick one.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
stuffmonger said:
my suggestion for the price influenced vintage gamer (like myself :D ): Get an mvs system, and get someone to consilize it for you... You can get a 2-slot, and even have the same joypads as the aes (I think). The games are also MUCH more affordable... ;)

agreed! and yes, you can use Neo sticks or pads depending on the SG you get. Plus, you can spend all that money you save on numerous MVS carts and throw them in Shockboxes for them to look all pretty on the shelf.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Long as you know what your getting into 'start with these titles.

SS2
SS3
Magician Lord
Nam 1975
Fatal Fury Special
Cyber Lip
Kof 94 or 95

Irish Guy

n00b
Cool, SS2, FF Special and KOF 95' and 96' are relatively cheap enough are they? I saw some great offers on Ebay for Neo Geos

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I'd go with these carts as they are all top games and cheap - £15-£50

Fatal Fury Special
Art of Fighting 2
Samurai Spirits 2
King of Fighters 94-96
Magician Lord

willywalken

Quiz Detective
if you go to www.japangamesnow.com they have really good prices on aes carts. samsho2 is a given. art of fighting 2 is hard as hell but it helped me get alot better with my other fighting games. oh, and welcome!

Irish Guy

n00b
Thanks BIG time WillyWalken for that website, great website. I'm getting Fatal Fury Special for €15.00 exluding post.