Garou Mark of the Wolves question

strider

duck duck goose
So we're doing a top 25 beat-em-ups in Retro Gamer and I'm trying to confirm if Mark of the Wolves is the eight or ninth game in the franchise. I've found a lot of contradictory evidence on various websites and know that you guys are sticklers for detail so thought it best to check here.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
So, which games are ranked from 2 to 25?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The reason there may be some confusion is that technically, MotW is the 9th Fatal Fury game released to arcades. Wild Ambition came out before it and was 8th.

I guess some people may not count Wild Ambition as part of the series, especially since it is kind of a 3D remake of the first game. But I do.

Hell, the 'All About SNK Fighting Games 1991-2000' book counts the PSX game Dominated Mind as a separate game to RBS, which would make MotW the 10th Fatal Fury game.

I guess what it boils down to is that whatever you decide to do, there will be some people somewhere who think you are wrong...

strider

duck duck goose
SouthtownKid said:
The reason there may be some confusion is that technically, MotW is the 9th Fatal Fury game released to arcades. Wild Ambition came out before it and was 8th.

I guess some people may not count Wild Ambition as part of the series, especially since it is kind of a 3D remake of the first game. But I do.

Hell, the 'All About SNK Fighting Games 1991-2000' book counts the PSX game Dominated Mind as a separate game to RBS, which would make MotW the 10th Fatal Fury game.

I guess what it boils down to is that whatever you decide to do, there will be some people somewhere who think you are wrong...

Thanks for this SouthtownKid. It does sound like it should be considered as nine games instead of eight.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Fatal Fury WA is definitely worthy of being part of the total.

It counts.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Probably the safest thing would be to base your headcount on that provided by the "history" section of the series' 15th anniversary website. It shows a total of 10 games -- the 8 installments on the NEO-GEO hardware, plus Wild Ambition on the Hyper NEO-GEO 64 and Dominated Mind on PS1. So, you could call Mark of the Wolves:

- the last of the 10 games in the series
- the last of the 9 arcade releases in the series
- the last of the 8 releases on the original NEO-GEO hardware

In terms of gameplay, Dominated Mind feels like a modified version of its predecessor, RBFFS -- not unlike the SFII'/SFII'Turbo/SSFII/SSFIIX tweaks to the original SFII. Unlike the later entries in the SFII series, in my opinion, SNK regards Dominated Mind as a separate installment in the FF series as it adds its own new portion of story content to the series' overall plotline.

--Chris

Rade K

20 Year Member
Just keep it basic and go by arcade releases.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Soniku said:
MotW isn't a beat 'em up...

Not by US terms, but the words "beat 'em up" are used in the UK the way we say "fighting games". So, to them... it is. But, to me,"beat 'em up"will always be side scrolling fighters like X-men, Final Fight, SOR.

Fish_Monger

Another Striker
Spike Spiegel said:
Not by US terms, but the words "beat 'em up" are used in the UK the way we say "fighting games". So, to them... it is. But, to me,"beat 'em up"will always be side scrolling fighters like X-men, Final Fight, SOR.

Word. Double Dragon is a good example of this. The NES Double Dragon is what we in the USA would call a beat'em up, but the NEO version of Double Dragon is what the UK might think of as one.

River City Ransom, Battle Toads, Bad Dudes, Final Fight, Double Dragon, Robocop, those were some good beat'em ups.

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
Harhar, the thread starter really got what he asked for - an answer which really means "It depends..."
Very much looking forward to that issue, though.
I would not count Dominated Mind as part of the series, neither. But somehow Garou is hardly a true FF, either.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I don't get why people who don't know are making a magazing to tell people who don't know.

surely the people who know, care already.

:spock:

Ukyo

20 Year Member
yeah, i find it totally strange that retro gamer and the UK in general uses the term "beat em' up" to describe a "V.S. fiighter." I subscribe to the magazine, and it just gets under my skin everytime i read it.

Final Fight / Streets of Rage = "beat 'em up" [i also hate the term scrolling fighter]

strider

duck duck goose
Ukyo said:
yeah, i find it totally strange that retro gamer and the UK in general uses the term "beat em' up" to describe a "V.S. fiighter." I subscribe to the magazine, and it just gets under my skin everytime i read it.

Final Fight / Streets of Rage = "beat 'em up" [i also hate the term scrolling fighter]
They are UK terms for a UK gaming magazine i'm afraid :)

One day we'll have enough readers that we can afford to localise it for each region, but until that happens you'll just have to realise that beat em ups are our word for one-on-one fighters.

Sorry.

Incidentally the issue with the feature in is now out and Garou is somewhere in the top three...

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
strider said:
They are UK terms for a UK gaming magazine i'm afraid :)

One day we'll have enough readers that we can afford to localise it for each region, but until that happens you'll just have to realise that beat em ups are our word for one-on-one fighters.

Sorry.

Incidentally the issue with the feature in is now out and Garou is somewhere in the top three...

Why does it cost eleventy billion* dollars to get this magazine in the United States...where's the love?

*roughly

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
jeff bogard said:
i always though of dominated mind as Real bout special 1.1
More like Dominated Mind is Real Bout Special -0.05.:annoyed:

Ukyo said:

I'm with you on this one, but I like to call the beat 'em ups; Brawlers to keep things clear.

Fighting Game & Brawlers, 2 separate mothernuckers!

BTW, how's it going pal?, it's been a while!:p

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
MOTW is technically the 8th Garou game...

But if you think about it, It's really the first...

Side note... Street Fighter II is the third street fighter game to come out.

amano jyaku

Kuroko's Training Dummy
For me :

Street Fighter/Fatal Fury : Beat 'em Up
Final Fight/Streets of Rage 2 : Beat 'em All

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
amano jyaku said:
For me :

Street Fighter/Fatal Fury : Beat 'em Up
Final Fight/Streets of Rage 2 : Beat 'em All
norton9478 said:
MOTW is technically the 8th Garou game...

But if you think about it, It's really the first...
Side note... Street Fighter II is the third street fighter game to come out.

I just need to know what you guys been smoking, 'cause I'm in dire need.:emb: