Gamestop.....................

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
The last time I ordered from Gamestop was my refurbished PSP. I paid extra for two day shipping and when the box arrived all that was in there were a set of component A/V cables for a PS2. I got it sorted out fortunately, but I was royally pissed, that's a pretty massive screw up. I have not given them money since, this was about a year and a half ago now.

Oh I forgot about my Wii, I bought my Wii from one of their stores about a year ago, but it was only $40, meh.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Given everything that has been said, Why is Gamestop still in business?

Are casual gamers enough to keep the business afloat? Are parents going to gamestop to buy kids their games?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

Are casual gamers enough to keep the business afloat? Are parents going to gamestop to buy kids their games?

We are not the target demo for GameStop. The casual gamer is. They buy nothing but AAA titles and trade them in towards the next one...what GameStop calls the "circle
Of Life". Their profit margin on used is crazy and they are making a killing on selling digital games/items to the point that they are phasing out the last gen stuff at an alarming rate. Sadly...I don't see them going anywhere.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Yeah they are a pretty shit company. I am also one of the many that worked there for a few years, as an assistant manager. When I first started was right after the Electronics Boutigue merger, and things were GREAT. They only expected realistic reserve and sub numbers and they even gave the employees spiffs for exceeding those numbers. Then once all the GameStop corporate bullshit took over, the company went to hell and they pretty much forced me out in a totally stupid way.

This was around the time the first big WOW expansion was coming out, Burning Crusade. Well we had a pretty regular customer that all of us knew who had preordered with Best Buy but wanted to change his preorder to my store because we were doing a midnight opening later that night and Best Buy wasnt, basically he wanted that game. He called early that morning and I told him I wasnt allowed to remove any money from any of his other preorders over the phone or anything. I was covering MY ass. But I did tell him that on my break I would lay down the preorder for him out of my own pocket to guarantee he could come in and get the game later that night. This made the customer happy. But corporate saw me as a liability. And those assholes kept me around for a few months after and waited until one night when I had worked a FULL SHIFT and stayed over to help with inventory to pull me to the back and explain they had to let me go. Giving me all this bullshit about "we appreciate all youve done, youre a great asset, you always go above and beyond, but this conduct is a liability to the company". I later found out that my manager above me was putting himself in a district manager training program and he wanted to show he could be stern, so he made an example out of me. Fucking piece of shit. He still had the nerve to try and be cool with me over XBOXLive afterwards too.

I no longer use them EXCEPT for in very rare cases where I really want something that day and I happen to find it in the exact condition I want or they have one of their ridiculous sales, which I take advantage of. Otherwise I tend to stay away.

At my local store though, there is a pretty cool ASM that I have become friends with, we actually met through other gaming channels. She knows I am a collector and tries to help me out with a few things. She cant really do much about the manuals/promo materials that are set to be field destroyed, which I think is a horrible practice. But she does hook me up with cases when I need them. Like the DS snaplock cases with the GBA slot. Just this week she gave me a bag of at least 40 of them.

I wont lie, I really do miss the days of when you preordered you actually got something TANGIBLE that made your preorder valuable to you. And if you wanted it you had to be one of the first 20 or so to pick it up. Nowadays they take those physical items that are GIVEN TO THEM BY THE PUBLISHERS and then try to sell them or force you to "earn" them via their little rewards program with points. Digital preorder bonuses are bullshit too.

But heres a hot tip, if you want their "exclusive" preorder DLC, but dont want to shop with them. Go buy your game elsewhere then walk into gamestop and ask for a code. You dont have to tell them that you didnt buy it from there, but the replacement codes are automatically generated and are just $.00 skus on the receipt. It costs them NOTHING to print it. Dont fall for their crap.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
There was a cute girl at the one I used to go to but the one she worked out of closed down. It was like 6 blocks from another one.

And I bet you used to hang outside of said Gamestop location and stare at her from a distance. You know it creeped her the fuck out.

156-CWCMegan1.jpg

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
And I bet you used to hang outside of said Gamestop location and stare at her from a distance. You know it creeped her the fuck out.

156-CWCMegan1.jpg

Those 2 fuggos look perfect for each other.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Soccer Moms.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I don't really go to gamestop much. I'll take my daughter there from time to time when they run used game sales. She pretty much only plays rpg type stuff and usually there are plenty of those to be had on the cheap. There are 3 places in town that do used games that are just local or regional stores and really.. they are all not very good for that sort of thing. If you want cod or madden then they are fine I guess but anything else you are pretty much out of luck. That and you'll be paying at least the same as you will at gamestop if not more. One of the shops doesn't even bother to price half it's stuff and they just get on line and look things up when you get up to the counter with something.

Also, the local gamestop has a Baskin Robbins next to it so taking her to gamestop gives me an excuse to go to the ice cream place as it's on the opposite side of town from me.

I didn't really know all the scumbag stuff they did there.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Last time I bought anything from Gamestop was a decade ago.

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
When I worked at gamestop, I hated just about every moment of it. When I was bored, I used to look up rare titles and have them shipped to the store so I could buy them. The best and last thing I ever got was Ninja 5-0 for under $5. Thank the gods I don't work retail or Gamestop anymore.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

As much as they hate used game sales, Publishers need Gamestop.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Only bought twice from them. First was GTA 4 because it was sold out everywhere else and the other when I needed a memory card for the Vita and couldn't be assed to order one from amazon and wait two days.

I usually step into the nearest one once or twice per year, check out the used games they sell at retail price (most of the they look like someone spilled a whole bottle of coke over them too) , leave and have a good laugh with other people who don't go there anymore. I usually buy all my games from amazon or places like the hut and zavvi if I can't get it in Germany for whatever fucktarded reason or if the domestic version only has a german dub.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My favorite Gamestop story, I'll post it because I'm bored:

It was the day that GTA Vice City launched on PS2, and I had to have it. So I go to the mall, walk into Gamestop (Maybe it was EB Games then?) and ask for a copy. There is a huge stack of them behind the counter. The guy gives me the line that they are all for preorders, and I could pay today and get one "tomorrow." It's worth noting that the manager is standing right next to him doing something. I tell him "no thanks" and go about my business. On the way out I run into my friend coming out of the toy store that is literally next door to the Gamestop, I talk to him about my predicament, and he opens up his bag, which contained his own copy of Vice City. So I go to the toy store, was greeted by a very nice lady who happily let me buy my game, and then both of us walked back into the Gamestop to browse and talk for a few minutes.

The manager noticed we had bags, and they were translucent so it's easy to tell the contents. He was PISSED.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
But heres a hot tip, if you want their "exclusive" preorder DLC, but dont want to shop with them. Go buy your game elsewhere then walk into gamestop and ask for a code. You dont have to tell them that you didnt buy it from there, but the replacement codes are automatically generated and are just $.00 skus on the receipt. It costs them NOTHING to print it. Dont fall for their crap.

Are you sure about this? I thought they will ask for either receipt or power-up #

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
The thing that kills me about Gamestop stores is the smell. It ALWAYS reeks of neckbeard and dirty, unwashed, ass. Then the customers amplify that smell by adding the stench of Mountain Dew sweat and Hot Pockets pouring out of their skin.

The last time I opened the doors of a Gamestop (around 6 months ago), I was blown back by the smell, turned back around, and got back into my car while trying to get the funk out of my nostrils.

I would rather deal with the smell of livestock butchering than Gamestop.

LOL. Couldn't be more true! Farming/tractor stores have a better odor than gamestop. Everyone I've ever been too has this same nasty-ass funk! Fucking gross.......

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
LOL. Couldn't be more true! Farming/tractor stores have a better odor than gamestop. Everyone I've ever been too has this same nasty-ass funk! Fucking gross.......

Good pre-starter for Cons.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
i used to work there when it was EB games, then it changed to gamestop and everything went to shit. I go in every once in awhile to see if they have some used wii or ps2 games i might be looking for. i have found a few deals, but i just don't like the way they do business. Best to stick with amazon

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I pretty much avoid GS entirely at this point. I actually amassed a decent collection of PS2 games from various gamestops years ago, but I ended up selling them off once HDLoader became a viable option.

Our local GS had one good real gamer that worked there (IE played more than just FPS crap), and he doesn't work there anymore, so that was about the end of it for me. I've maybe bought 5 or 6 games from there in the last few years, all xbox360 stuff like akai katana or SSF4AE, when I just happened to be in the mall anyway.

My brother worked for a GS for a while, and they always got to take home new games and play them, then sell them as new. The main thing that still "grinds my gears" about GS is the whole "open but new" bullshit. "Oh it's the last one we have but it's still new." "is it open?" "yeah..." "then it's not fucking new, is it?" Between that and treating their employees like shit, I really do try to not support them at all anymore.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
The main thing that still "grinds my gears" about GS is the whole "open but new" bullshit. "Oh it's the last one we have but it's still new." "is it open?" "yeah..." "then it's not fucking new, is it?" Between that and treating their employees like shit, I really do try to not support them at all anymore.

Me: I want new copy of this game (XXX)...........
GS: OK (turn around and open drawer and take out game disc)
Me: I want a new sealed copy, please
GS: It is new
Me: It's open already so it's not new
GS: It is new. That's our last copy in hand
Me: I don't want it. I want a new sealed copy
GS: Trust me it's a new copy, right Robert? (Other rep nods his head) It's brand new except no plastic wrap............