GameStop Retro Classics question

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Have any of you purchased NES/Genesis/SNES/etc. cartridges with battery backups from GameStop.com's Retro Classics section recently? I'm just curious if GameStop replaces the expired cells inside older carts with new ones or are you left to do that yourself? I would guess that they would take care of that, otherwise they'd probably get a lot of returns for games that can't save progress, but maybe I'm wrong.

I've only purchased GameBoy Advance games from their Retro Classics selection thus far, and both of those had working saves, but, as my other GBA titles all still have working batteries, I didn't expect otherwise.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
No. They don't replace batteries.
They barely clean and test them. They deal in volume, not retro quality.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Have any of you purchased NES/Genesis/SNES/etc. cartridges with battery backups from GameStop.com's Retro Classics section recently? I'm just curious if GameStop replaces the expired cells inside older carts with new ones or are you left to do that yourself? I would guess that they would take care of that, otherwise they'd probably get a lot of returns for games that can't save progress, but maybe I'm wrong.

Your expectations are a bit too high for GameStop. Aim lower.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
They do not open carts period. If they did, we wouldn't have those stories of people getting boots in the mail from them.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
What I've read and seen is that they put as little effort as possible in their "verification" process. They don't open carts, so don't expect them to do that. You can't even be sure if the cart you get is the game you thought you ordered. All they do is see if the game loads on a system, regardless of what game is supposed to be, and then they put it up for sale and destroy the rest. In short, don't support them.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I know for a fact from some buyers who are semi-regular with them on racketboy they do not. They actually will do nothing but basically give you it how they get it, and won't let you know in advance anything. You could easily pay $20 for like Pokemon Red on DMG Gameboy. You could get:
- Perfect cart, good battery
- Perfect cart, dead battery
- Beat ass messed up cart with a good or bad battery
- Might even be complete in the box, or at least with a manual

Still all $20, they don't give a fuck other than to rip someone off for $1 on the game and move it as fast as possible. They do accept returns on anything used no matter what, and you can return it to any retail store so they have to pay to ship it back to corporate on their dime and time. I've noticed most the time the carts have had good stickers and batteries but sometimes not, but the true gamble end up being disc based games as you easily can get a nice or somewhat scuffed one in a lame yellow slip case or end up with something cherry complete in the jewel case. It's basically just pulling the level on a slot machine and hoping you get the jackpot.

fake

15 Year Member
They replace the battery with a non working one and sign you up for a magazine.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I wouldn't give this place a dime of my money fuck that place.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
When your staff doesn't care/doesn't take the time to look for the obvious differences, yes.

Probably min wage people sorting the carts. Would you care?
TBH, fakes are getting very difficult to spot without opening the carts.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Probably min wage people sorting the carts. Would you care?
TBH, fakes are getting very difficult to spot without opening the carts.

I know I didn't.

Those GBA boots were always VERY convincing.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
They replace the battery with a non working one and sign you up for a magazine.

I remember, October 2003, Game INformer started their message board and I joined up. It was a small community at first, like neo-geo. The one editor/writer/journalist/whatever who modded mainly by himself eventually banned me for one reason or another. About 2 or 3 years later he died. I can't even remember his name.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Hahaha SHUT THA FUK DOWN ja deutsch mushroom!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Same here. I know their main office for some time has been in Indiana just over the river from here, so maybe that's why, but they've been expanding if anything. Down from that office off I65 in Shepherdsville KY last year they opened up this huge building with quite a few truck loading docks on it 3 stories tall that seems some traffic going out of it.

They're growing if anything which is a shame, but it's probably now not really just to cover all that old game stuff they love to abuse people over, but the shit ton of toys, plushies, cups, clothes, wall art, funko bs, puzzles, lights, and the rest they sell. They're like converting into a video gamers poormans thinkgeek type franchise. Give it 10 years, that stuff will probably eat up 75% of the floor and wall space. It will all come down to when the industry forces people out of physical media, then gamestop can just relegate a wall to individual game download tickets and scratchers for Nintendo/Sony/MS point cards for their shops.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Same here. I know their main office for some time has been in Indiana just over the river from here, so maybe that's why, but they've been expanding if anything. Down from that office off I65 in Shepherdsville KY last year they opened up this huge building with quite a few truck loading docks on it 3 stories tall that seems some traffic going out of it.

They're growing if anything which is a shame, but it's probably now not really just to cover all that old game stuff they love to abuse people over, but the shit ton of toys, plushies, cups, clothes, wall art, funko bs, puzzles, lights, and the rest they sell. They're like converting into a video gamers poormans thinkgeek type franchise. Give it 10 years, that stuff will probably eat up 75% of the floor and wall space. It will all come down to when the industry forces people out of physical media, then gamestop can just relegate a wall to individual game download tickets and scratchers for Nintendo/Sony/MS point cards for their shops.

Ummmmmmmm...

I'm pretty sure Gamestop's home office is in Texas.

Might want to check that info.