Gameboy or GBC "hidden gems"?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Actually a really fun game, if you can get over the Ocean logo. I used to be able to beat it in one life. Now, I'm lucky to get past the 1st level. Used to love using well-timed sniper shots (select button) to avoid death.

Jon

Nice! I do plan on playing it - I have ignored most Ocean stuff, but am revisiting some

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Nice! I do plan on playing it - I have ignored most Ocean stuff, but am revisiting some
I was watching a playthrough of Darkman for Gameboy a while back. Much different than the NES version. Side scrolling beat em up, with action game mixed in.

Wouldn't mind a complete copy but, not paying $1k+.

Jon

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
So, just refreshing my memory on Darkman for GB, yes, side scrolling beat em up, mostly. I forgot he has a knee drop when the enemies are down, lol, just like Double Dragon 2 for GB.

Jon

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
The Flintstones on Game Boy, published by Ocean, is surprisingly OK. I used to waste so much time on the minigames, knockoffs of Space Invaders and the like.
I'm guessing that's the one that's based on the movie with John Goodman? Taito also made their own Flintstones game called King Rock Treasure Island. Not cheap, unfortunately.

Jon

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
There's also Bedrock Burgertime on GBC which is pretty fun in its own right. It's basically just Burgertime, but Fred can club the enemies. It has an excellent opening cinematic that looks great on the system. There are a lot of solid Flintstones games out there actually. The NES ones are good too, especially the first one with the overhead map.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
There's also Bedrock Burgertime on GBC which is pretty fun in its own right. It's basically just Burgertime, but Fred can club the enemies. It has an excellent opening cinematic that looks great on the system. There are a lot of solid Flintstones games out there actually. The NES ones are good too, especially the first one with the overhead map.

I was at some game resell shop a couple weeks ago and almost grabbed the Burgertime clone Flinstones. I think it was like $15

prof

If you already have GB Burgertime, I suppose it's sort of redundant. There are some slight variations, but it's basically 95% the same game. That opening cutscene looks as good as any I've seen on the system though. Good use of colors in the levels too.

94TC

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
I had a game simply called "boxing" for the gameboy and it was great, as well as battletoads. Good times, I miss those times.

prof

@pixeljunkie
So should I buy this thing? Been looking into getting a bigger screen for my GBC, but this seems easier. Now that you've messed with it for a while, are you still high on it, or are there downsides?

Edit: meant to post this in the funnyplaying thread. Whoops.

Last edited:

Theruff

Cheng's Errand Boy
Had a buddy who had the misfortune of his parents only getting him these god awful christian gameboy games. He'd always come over to my place to play Mario Land 2 instead

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Irem's Kung Fu Master on Game Boy has the same gameplay as the arcade original but an entirely different aesthetic.

Whereas the original's setting was in a Chinese temple/dojo, the Game Boy version is now some post apocalyptic wasteland closer in theme to Fist of the North Star. The first boss is even a guy wearing a hockey mask, as was the fashion at the time, wielding a chainsaw.

I want to like this but, just like the arcade original, get frustrated after five minutes and turn it off. Still cool trying out a bit.

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Had a buddy who had the misfortune of his parents only getting him these god awful christian gameboy games. He'd always come over to my place to play Mario Land 2 instead
20240219_012047.jpg

20240219_012107.jpg
Still have this one. Only works on an original Gameboy. GBA SP, Analogue Pocket, etc. don't seem to like it too much.

Jon

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
@pixeljunkie
So should I buy this thing? Been looking into getting a bigger screen for my GBC, but this seems easier. Now that you've messed with it for a while, are you still high on it, or are there downsides?

Edit: meant to post this in the funnyplaying thread. Whoops.

I can wholeheartedly recommend. Firmware upgrade sealed the deal for me.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I'm 100% sure that was one of the games he had! Not going to lie, kinda feel motivated now to go find this game just for the nostalgia factor alone.
There are a few others. Used to own Joshua: The Battle for Jericho. I think Spiritual Warfare may have been another. Wisdom Tree also did NIV Bible and the 20 Lost Levels of Joshua, which is one of the rarest games on Gameboy.

Jon

Theruff

Cheng's Errand Boy
There are a few others. Used to own Joshua: The Battle for Jericho. I think Spiritual Warfare may have been another. Wisdom Tree also did NIV Bible and the 20 Lost Levels of Joshua, which is one of the rarest games on Gameboy.

Jon
Just looked them up. The ones I recognize are Spiritual Warfare and King James Bible, completely forgot about them until now. I'll have to reach out to him and see if he still has them