Game systems you have to completely recuse yourself from

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Terrible thread. Ban plz.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
All 8 bit and older consoles. Some good games but mostly shit graphics and plinky-plonk sounds.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Anything that primarily uses casettes or floppy discs. Fuck magnetic tape media.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Anything that primarily uses casettes or floppy discs. Fuck magnetic tape media.

I have a Yamaha CX5MII/128 MSX computer that I mainly use for making music (it has a builtin FM synth) and all loading and saving of patches is done on tape. I also still have my C64 with a 1541 floppy drive that is permanently set up in my studio, as well as two Atari STs and a number of other floppy-based machines (Ensoniq Mirage, Akai S20 and S2000, etc.), they all run flawlessly and I keep making backups of all their media on a dedicated old laptop.

While it's true that old tapes and floppy disks can be a problem, it's all a matter of using the technology of today to keep the stuff from yesteryear running, and it's not too much of a fuss if you know a thing or two about it. The contents of tapes and floppies can be transferred to your computer via audio recording or by using special cables to connect your old floppy drive to PC and have direct access to the files. You could even get yourself an everdrive/floppy emulation smart media cart solution that is available for a ton of old systems (even music gear).

Initially, it may take slightly more dedication to get an old 8bit micro up and running than just pushing a cart into a console but it's worth it in my opinion. I still consider quite a few 8bit micro games superior in terms of gameplay and presentation to anything that came afterwards, it would be a shame to miss this part of vg history.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

I would agree, but some of these systems such as the C64 are getting flash card loaders so you don't have to worry about the old media bit rotting away.

My vote goes to anything Atari. The graphics and sounds are too abstract to enjoy nowadays on the 8-bit systems, and the Jag was basically only good for Tempest.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I have almost no desire to play any console pre-NES except a handful of titles.

I do however enjoy the Odyssey2, but mainly for that bitchin' boxart.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
Anything before the NES. If I need tons of imagination to get, what is going on on the screen, it isn't clearly for me.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Magnetic media can be a bitch, especially old PC games.

I've had to use a heat gun to carefully remove the label from Disk 1 of my War in Middle Earth for PC from the 5.25" floppy disc to transfer it to a new old stock 720k 5.25" floppy of the same manufacturer to keep it in "working" condition.

I've also cracked open a few old Sierra 3.5" floppies and replaced the internal magnetic disks with new working ones.

I take care of my stuff, but after 20+ years, there's no telling what works anymore. I'm just glad I made archival disk images back in 2001.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Anything before the NES. If I need tons of imagination to get, what is going on on the screen, it isn't clearly for me.

This. Some 2600 and Commodore 64 stuff I can still play though.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yeah I am not interested at all in anything pre-NES. Sold all my Atari games last year and do not regret it at all. I not interested in a lot of the more obscure systems (CDi, CD-32 etc) including the Jaguar, there just isn't enough on that system. I also don't have any Microsoft systems, or even a functioning Windows computer at the moment. It is probably easier to make a list of consoles I am interested in (SNES, NES, Genesis, Turbo, Saturn, Neo-Geo, PS 1/2/3, Dreamcast and GBA/3DS.) My friend has a coleco and some of those systems which I enjoy playing at his house but they are not anything I can't live without. I do wish Tapper got a NES release but I can't justify buying another console for just one game.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
N64. Never really liked it even when I was a kid in its target age range :kekeke: and I don't think it's aged well.

RGB modded one for a local retrogamer and it almost felt like a waste, in that now you can see those bad textures and bad blur with nothing in your way. Bet Mischief Makers would look great through RGB though.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
N64. Never really liked it even when I was a kid in its target age range :kekeke: and I don't think it's aged well.

RGB modded one for a local retrogamer and it almost felt like a waste, in that now you can see those bad textures and bad blur with nothing in your way. Bet Mischief Makers would look great through RGB though.

Dude. You seriously stole my entire post. Including the RGB modding part. The shitty textures was due to the anti-aliasing HW in the console. It's a shame, because emulation makes the games much better to look at.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just because most N64 games have shitty textures doesn't mean RGB mods aren't worth it. I have an RGB modded N64 and it's still a noticeable improvement over s-video. The text, character models, and backgrounds are much clearer especially in games like Super Smash Bros and Yoshi's Story.

As far as pretty RGB output goes, though, I think my favorite systems are SNES and Jaguar. Rayman on Jag is fucking stunning in RGB, and it's a huge improvement over the Jag's notoriously shitty composite and RF outputs.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The N64 takes a lot of shit, and rightfully so in many respects, but there are some great games on the system. Sure most games suffer from those early 3D game challenges like a camera that gets in the way, but plenty of games are still fun IMO. Last year I got hooked on Banjo Kazooie and it was a title I never played BITD so it wasn't the nostalgia effect. If you stick w/first party games you're in good shape and I remember some of the Star Wars games being fun as well.

Generally speaking, I don't fall into the nostalgia trap for the most part. Case in point, I got an Atari 5200 years ago, which I never played growing up, and really enjoyed a few of the games. Yes, the controllers are shit, but you can get adapters. Qix and Pole Position on that platform are still fun to me. The NES was the first system we had that I was old enough to really understand, so if there would be any nostalgia effect it would be there, but revisiting the NES library over the last 15 years I've realized how much shit there really is on that system.

I would have to say the Jag is the only system I wish I could quit. I keep getting drawn back in only to be disappointed nearly every time no matter how much I try to appreciate it for what it was back in its time.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Nintendo64 - the only console where it's Everdrive costs more than owning all the good games worth playing on it. Combined.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
RGB is of course an improvement for the N64, just to me it's the last console I care about improving the output of.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
There are not enough interesting games for me on the N64 to warrant a purchase, so yeah, it definitely is one of the consoles I never owned and never will.

EDIT:

If I got a good offer, and I mean a REALLY good offer, I'd buy a JAG just for T2k. :)

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Did the AVGN post a video recently saying the N64 is "an assload of donkey shit sucked out of a rhino's dick" and now everyone is on the N64 sucks bandwagon?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Back in the day, I bought a N64 for a friend who was on holiday with his missus when the console came out over here, he was a huge Nintendo fan and wanted to make sure to get one. He told me to unpack and test the machine so I did just that and played Mario64 and Turok for a few days. I liked what I saw at first but after a while, I found that most games that came out for it just weren't up my street. There were some cool ones as well but not enough to make me buy the system.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Atari Jaguar is probably the biggest piece of shit system I've owned. 32x was pretty lame as well but that's not even really a system. N64 was better than those but I wasn't a big fan of that either. I guess I just hate anything 3d that came out before the Dreamcast.