Game/MB Regional Differences [Atomiswave, HNG64, PGM2, Y2]

tDRG

n00b
Hey everyone, I'm interested in learning more about regional differences for some arcade platforms that SNK games were released for (AW, HNG, PGM2, Y2). Specifically, whether there are differences between motherboards, game boards, and labels between different regions (Japan, US, China). I've looked around and have found some vague answers for some platforms, so more info would be great. General info and things to watch out for on all this stuff would be great too. Thanks!

With the MVS, I understand that the motherboards are region-agnostic, and the BIOS chip determines the region. For games, the boards are exactly the same between regions, with English and Japanese labels for most games.

For Atomiswave, are there any differences between the motherboards? Is there an English-version MB, or are they exactly the same? I believe the language can be changed from the settings, but do different MBs default to different languages? For games, I know that labels are different, and the region is denoted by the small orange EN or white JP strip along the bottom. Are there any differences between game boards, or are they identical? And are there other regions? This Guilty Gear X 1.5 cart has language strips for (I assume) English, Spanish, Korean, and Chinese.

aw_ggx1_5_2.jpg

For Hyper Neo Geo 64, are there multiple regions or just one? I've only seen games with Japanese labels, but the JNX Hyper Neo Geo 64 Price Guide has prices for US and JP carts. I understand there are different MBs for different game types, with Rev 2 of the fighting board being the most desirable because the JAMMA edge has audio and no 5V weirdness. 15KHz only and no JVS, but the Rev 2 works with multi-slot MVS harnesses as well with a switch on the bottom.

For KoF 98 UM on the PGM2, I understand that IGS is Taiwanese. Did the PGM2 get an official Japanese release, or is there only one motherboard revision? Can the language be changed? I've seen at least two labels on the game: one labeled Hero and one with Chinese (?) characters. I've seen Hero on some of the loading screens in screenshots, and either Chinese or Japanese characters in others. Were there different cartridge labels on the same game boards, or are there differences on the boards too?

kof98um_ch.jpg
kof98um_hero.jpg

For KoF 02 UM on the System Board Y2, I've seen a Japanese version and an English/Chinese version advertised. Language can be set to English on both boards, and the English title on the Chinese version is Road to Revenge, not UM. Game cartridges have text labels with game title and serial number, so I assume they can be different between the two versions? Are the warning/instruction stickers on the MBs different, and how do the MBs or game boards differ? I understand it can use JVS or JAMMA I/O, and output 15KHz or 31 KHz.

kof02y2.png

Thanks!

tDRG

n00b
Bumping this. Mainly just want to know about English releases of Hyper Neo Geo 64 games. I've seen kits with English "Samurai Shodown 64" art like this, while the JP ones say Samurai Spirits.
1682799485554.png
Is it just the art that's different, or are the games regioned as well? I'm under the impression that they're not.

And any info about KoF98 UM Hero would be great too. Thanks!

tDRG

n00b
are the games regioned as well? I'm under the impression that they're not.
The labels are different but I believe ROMs are the same; both languages are on (all?) carts. SamSho 64, SamSho 64 2, FFWA, both racing games, and Beast Busters got US releases. Buriki One, though an English ROM exists, did not get a US release. The bios on the motherboard determines the region. But I dunno, feel free to confirm or deny any of this.

Last edited:

tDRG

n00b
I had found that PGM2 KoF 98 Hero image here. Haven't seen any others like that in a quick Google search, but I'll keep digging.