Game Boy Advance version of Metal Slug

strider

duck duck goose
Does anyone know what happened to this? I've been doing some research, as we have a making of Metal Slug, and I stumbled across some press shots of it. I've found some footage on YouTube which looks great, but I can't see why it was cancelled.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Does anyone know what happened to this? I've been doing some research, as we have a making of Metal Slug, and I stumbled across some press shots of it. I've found some footage on YouTube which looks great, but I can't see why it was cancelled.

If the Saturn needed an extra 1MB of RAM for Metal Slug, and it still had issues, then there's no way the GBA could have handled it.

There was never a reason given for its cancelation, so I'm assuming SNK just couldn't fit Metal Slug on the GBA and gave up.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
There is a Metal Slug Advance game, that's what it's called also.

strider

duck duck goose
If the Saturn needed an extra 1MB of RAM for Metal Slug, and it still had issues, then there's no way the GBA could have handled it.

There was never a reason given for its cancelation, so I'm assuming SNK just couldn't fit Metal Slug on the GBA and gave up.
You're right, that probably makes a lot of sense. Based on this though it looks quite nice.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I have it, Metal Slug Advance was never cancelled, what are you guys talking about?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Metal Slug Advance is a completely different kettle of fish than a *port* of Metal Slug to GBA.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
You're right, that probably makes a lot of sense. Based on this though it looks quite nice.

I would imagine it was cancelled due to lack of funding or perhaps programming problems, too much slowdown, etc. That footage looks great, though. I'd love to play that on my GBA.

strider

duck duck goose
I would imagine it was cancelled due to lack of funding or perhaps programming problems, too much slowdown, etc. That footage looks great, though. I'd love to play that on my GBA.
It does look tasty. Still I enjoy Metal Slug Advance, so I guess we'll have to make do with that :)

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I get it you guys are talking about porting the original slug to the Advance. Now I get it, i sonder if it got canned for the same reason 94 Rebout got canned for Xbox. I was really looking fwd to that game.

theGau

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
I would bet money that the footage from that video is not running on gba hardware. Most likely just a video of the actually neo geo version instead

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Surprised by how many people in this thread didn't know there was a planned port for the original Slug to the GBA. It was hot news for a while here.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I would bet money that the footage from that video is not running on gba hardware. Most likely just a video of the actually neo geo version instead
Yeah it looks like the real game in low resolution for the video. Really doesn't look like GBA.

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I think it was cancelled because they were about to release Metal Slug Anthology on the PSP, PS2, and Wii. Since MSA has seven complete games they probably figured it would be pointless to release a GBA cart with just the first one.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
At one of the first New York Comic Con's I went to they had a small room set up with some game companies showing off some new stuff and SNK/Playmore had a table. They had a TV set up with King of Fighters 94' Rebout on the original Xbox and a GBA game, I'm not sure if it was Metal Slug 1 or if it was something else. They had a big sticker on the table with METAL SLUG 1 COMING SOON TO GAME BOY ADVANCE! I asked the rep at the table if he knew when the game was going to be coming out and the guy just gave me a stone faced look and said, "I donno..." This was WAY before Metal Slug Anthology because this was a few years before the Wii was even announced. Nothing but classic SNK/Playmore vaporware.