Game appears in Japanese on a US system

hello all. I recently sold a few Neo Geo games on e-bay and I had one buyer contact me back telling me that the game he purchased is playing in Japanese on what is supposedly a US system. He says he has about 10 other NGH games and they all play in English however for some reason the copy of Baseball Stars I sold him does not. Now... I had never played this copy of the game due to it being new when I bought it so he must have been the first to play it. I assume all his games and equipment were purchased secondhand. So... anyone have a clue what could be going on with it before I issue him a refund?

On a side note I never owned any modded systems and I have no idea if there is some bios mod that could cause something like that.

thanks in advance.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
samuraiX said:
hello all. I recently sold a few Neo Geo games on e-bay and I had one buyer contact me back telling me that the game he purchased is playing in Japanese on what is supposedly a US system. He says he has about 10 other NGH games and they all play in English however for some reason the copy of Baseball Stars I sold him does not. Now... I had never played this copy of the game due to it being new when I bought it so he must have been the first to play it. I assume all his games and equipment were purchased secondhand. So... anyone have a clue what could be going on with it before I issue him a refund?

On a side note I never owned any modded systems and I have no idea if there is some bios mod that could cause something like that.

thanks in advance.

If he has a unibios he can switch it to english at the menu.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm surprised you're considering a refund just because the text is in Japanese.

Perhaps I shouldn't... I don't know. He says he has no mods on the system but I can ask him about the bios. But even if he does have the bios mod it should be the same as any other game he plays.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
maybe its thje first he tryed that had japense text. he need to switch his bios. its on his end that the problem is not the game

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
If he has a UniBios, there should be a splash screen that appears before the Neo Geo logo that says UniBios on it. As it appears and before it disappears, he should hold A+B+C until it loads the config menu.

That said, I wouldn't expect someone to have a UniBios and not know it unless they really didn't understand their system.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
This might sound really dumb, but you didn't accidentally sell him a boot of Baseball Stars that only runs in Japanese, did you? :conf:

SSS

neo retired
Zero Satori said:
This might sound really dumb, but you didn't accidentally sell him a boot of Baseball Stars that only runs in Japanese, did you? :conf:

a boot BS1? That's highly unlikely. I've never heard of one. Especially in homecart format.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Zero Satori said:

Thats not even possible unless it was a boot.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Theres an MVS cab around here set to English. But the Ultimate 11 game in it is always in Japanese. I'm not too sure why, but I believe it may be a bootleg. I have a metal slug 3 bootleg that plays in english even when the mvs board is set to Japanese.

I have no idea why an AES game such as Baseball Stars would play in Japanese on a US system though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Could be that Japanese is the only language stored on the chips, maybe they forgot to put the english in it. So when the board boots it uses the only available language pack.