Galaxy Fight - Hidden Gem or Overrated Trash?

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Okay, so lately I have been hearing mixed opinions on Galaxy Fight. Some people say it is a hidden gem while others consider it a broken mess. I just purchased a copy myself, so I figured why not start a forum on this? Let me know what you think of this Sunsoft fighting game for the Neo Geo. Hidden Gem or Overrated Trash?

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
It's got its charms and is a unique game. But the engine for Waku was so vastly improved that it's hard to put much real time into Galaxy.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
I remember getting this on AES Euro ...& TBH left a bad taste in my mouth..i just could not get into it...incredibly slow & clunky.
I tried to like it & the second time i had a go..i thought yeah....i'm selling it.
WW7 was great though..

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
horrible crap - if it wouldn´t have been released for teh holy neogeoz, nobody would talk about that game (only thing would be: "meh, it was crap.")

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Don't be silly, the game had fun characters, cool stages, and decent controls. There are much worse fighters out there on and off the neo.

It's hardly slow and clunky.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Horrible, bannable, controversial opinion but... I enjoyed Galaxy Fight > Waku Waku 7.

I quite liked the pace and feel of the fights in GF. Whilst WW7 looks and sound s absolutely amazing, I didn't like many of the 7(!) characters outside of Arina and Rai.

I got more out of Galaxy Fight. I'd say it's worth the cheap entry fee...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I like it, but it's an experimental experience, probably as intended by Sunsoft themselves. BTW, the idea of borderless stages was later cleverly reused in RBFF. True, GF is hidden behind WW7 & PIM... tho it's certainly not a gem.

Offbeat fighters like Ragnagard, Gowcaiser or Far East of Eden mostly offer you just that, a bohemian take on a stale genre. Just don't take them too seriously, they're not an exercise in multi-digit combo-attacks, rather a jocular commentary on the significance of fighting games for the nerdy types.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Galaxy fight is neat, and I like that There's no solid walls on the play field, but it feels kind of unpolished.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Don't be silly, the game had fun characters, cool stages, and decent controls. There are much worse fighters out there on and off the neo.

It's hardly slow and clunky.

In your opinion, what are 5 worse fighters on the Neo?

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
In your opinion, what are 5 worse fighters on the Neo?

I would rather play Galaxy Fight than art of fighting 1 and 3, fatal fury 1, aodk, 3 count bout (if you want to count it as a fighter), fight fever, gowcaizer, ragnagard, world heroes 1, or karnov's revenge.

Just my opinion since you asked for it.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
When you take away the nostalgia, aof1 is too primitive as a vs fighter. Aof3 is pretty looking, but the pace of the matches is aweful and the characters are boring. Feels like tekken in 2d. You spend more time flat on your ass than fighting.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Okay, so lately I have been hearing mixed opinions on Galaxy Fight. Some people say it is a hidden gem while others consider it a broken mess. I just purchased a copy myself, so I figured why not start a forum on this? Let me know what you think of this Sunsoft fighting game for the Neo Geo. Hidden Gem or Overrated Trash?

Do you always buy games first then ask if they're good after? LOL

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Do you always buy games first then ask if they're good after? LOL

No, I just wanted to hear other's opinions first while I wait on the game. I am always interested in hearing other's opinions on games while I await to play it and have my own opinion. I haven't played much of Galaxy Fight (although I did so with an emulator), but with my CMVS and a proper controller, I am gonna spend more time on it and give my full opinion on the game :P

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Galaxy Fight was just okay upon it's release but with my last go around with it, I found it to be unplayable...It just didn't hold up.
BB

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
It's interesting for a while, then I just find myself wanting to play WW7. There are definitely worse Neo fighters (e.g. Gowcaizer) but it's indeed neither a gem nor hidden.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Horrible, bannable, controversial opinion but... I enjoyed Galaxy Fight > Waku Waku 7.

I do like the character designs and overall aesthetic of Galaxy Fight a lot more than Waku Waku 7. But it's clunky as hell.

I don't think it's overrated, though. I've never heard anyone claim it to be secretly great until this thread. And even this is second hand. I'm not sure I believe anyone ever really said it.

Waku Waku 7 is the game I think is vastly overrated.

of3 is pretty looking, but the pace of the matches is aweful and the characters are boring. Feels like tekken in 2d. You spend more time flat on your ass than fighting.
YOU spend more time on your ass because you fucking suck at it. AOF3 is a great game. Matches are great, pace is great, and the characters are great.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
AOF3 is a great game. Matches are great, pace is great, and the characters are great.

Even though I am not great at it, I still think and feel that this is correct. I've never not liked playing it.

I never even thought of Galaxy Fight when it came to purchasing one of the 'odd' fighters, only WW7 came to mind and now I see why. WW7 is much better if it's considered in the same pile.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
haven't played galaxy fight in years. but remember not liking it. might try it out and see what i think of it now.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Why are you buying games based on others opinions. It's not like Galaxy Fight is a new release that you can only pick up at a brick and mortar. Download the ROM and give it a whirl in mame or buy the Saturn one which should only cost you a few bucks. Shit, even watching YouTube videos will give you a better idea then just blindly following peoples opinions.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Why are you buying games based on others opinions. It's not like Galaxy Fight is a new release that you can only pick up at a brick and mortar. Download the ROM and give it a whirl in mame or buy the Saturn one which should only cost you a few bucks. Shit, even watching YouTube videos will give you a better idea then just blindly following peoples opinions.

I could do that, but I can't experience Galaxy Fight the way it was intended to be played if I bought a port or downloaded an emulator. I have seen gameplay videos on YouTube, and I think it looks interesting. Like I told Pasky, I did play it for a bit on an emulator, but using a keyboard and mouse is not the same as using either a controller or an arcade stick. Also, my USB controllers seem to have some input lag when I use it on emulators, same with the Ouya controller when I use the .emu emulators on it. So I am not blindly following opinions, I am actually very curious about this game myself and want to play it on an actual cartridge, on an actual system. One more thing, I don't own a Saturn, haven't since last year when I sold my Saturn and collection to pay off bills because my job at the time wasn't giving me enough hours. But now that I work 6 nights a week, I make enough to pay bills, save money, and buy stuff.

Last edited: