Funnyplaying FPGBC - FPGA Gameboy Color

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Just got this in today and it's pretty damn slick. It's nice to have a GBC that can play GB in a nice OG palette. Allows for integer scaling with pixel grid as well. Works fine with my Everdrive X3 as well. Anyone else pick one of these up? The price is pretty nuts, considering what you get. Cheaper than what I spent modding my other GBCs.

1705774168297.png
1705774181773.png
1705774634057.png
1705774648897.png

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
kit is send from USA or China.
Can I use original GBP Grey shell ?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
It’s an FPGA recreation of the GBC hardware right now, so doesn’t play roms yet. Reading through the GitHub for the firmware downloads, it sounds like SD card support is planned in a future revision of this though. Also on the GitHub:

IMG_1390.jpeg

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
kit is send from USA or China.
Can I use original GBP Grey shell ?
From China, and I wouldn't recommend using your old shell. They sell ones that house the laminated IPS and have USB charge port.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Said fuck it, and ordered one. Got the purple shell and buttons. Pretty cool if it'll play games from SD card later on.

Will other systems be supported eventually? Always wanted a portable TG16. Don't need other systems, it'd just be nice.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Looks awesome in those clear colored shells, might have to consider going this route instead of modding my GBC screen.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Said fuck it, and ordered one. Got the purple shell and buttons. Pretty cool if it'll play games from SD card later on.

Will other systems be supported eventually? Always wanted a portable TG16. Don't need other systems, it'd just be nice.
I was thinking about this today as well. If they did Game Gear I would be stoked. They're not the most... ambitious company though, so not holding my breath.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I was thinking about this today as well. If they did Game Gear I would be stoked. They're not the most... ambitious company though, so not holding my breath.
How are their buttons and silicon pads? I tried the anal pocket and was not impressed.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Feel like OG honestly. I was even having an easier time with Skate or Die than I do with my OG Gameboy.
Ok now we're talking. I really don't get the hype for the anal pocket. Yes, the screen is nice but what's the point if the controls are shit, it's like people don't even play their games.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
A slightly updated Game Gear shell design, that had four face buttons and two shoulder buttons, took original carts and had an open source FPGA guts would be tits.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I don’t get why everyone wants to put four face buttons on everything, just let it shine for two button games. GG on this would be perfect.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Meh, just thinking that if it had a decent fpga in it, it'd be nice for MAME, etc. I like the old two button setup as much as the next guy.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
They could easily release an SD card cart for this to load roms for any number of firmware/core upgrades. Which would be amazing.

But we are talking China here, so I doubt any of that will happen. But we can hope!

As it is, as a nice fpga GB/GBC for under $100 with a nice, large screen. I'm pleased.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
@pixeljunkie
Is the shell identical to the original GBC? The front looks the same, but how about the rear? I like the way the original fits in my hands.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
@pixeljunkie
Is the shell identical to the original GBC? The front looks the same, but how about the rear? I like the way the original fits in my hands.

Virtually identical - bubble butt and everything, save for the USB charge port on the bottom and the front is trimmed to easily house the laminated IPS screen. You could mod an og GBC shell to fit this, but the work involved is way more than its worth when you can grab a new shell for $10.

1705863307121.png

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Update. Played quite a few hours on this thing.

The sound output is far superior to a standard GBC. The speaker is great. I've noticed a couple games that don't like the DMG core but work on the GBC one. Weird.

Also, the battery lasts forever.

Sidenote: I buy these acrylic "tea organizers" off Amazon and they are perfect for holding GB carts.

IMG_20240122_202807.jpg

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Does the headphone jack output stereo? Their GBA motherboard replacement didn't.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Does the headphone jack output stereo? Their GBA motherboard replacement didn't.
Are there stereo GBC games? I've never really played the games with headphones on, so I guess I never really thought about it.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
excellent question - game in mind I could test? No lists of GB stereo games outside of pokemon I am aware of?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Play Super Mario Land on something else then play it on the FP device. Should be super obvious, game uses a lot of stereo effects, and some things sound really weird if they didn't do the circuit right and it is only one channel.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Stereo was a big selling point on the original Gameboy. A lot of the early games in particular had really heavy stereo effects.
Can confirm it IS in stereo on the FPGBC