Former Argonaut Staffer Is Reviving The Legendary Neo Geo Title Windjammers On 3DS

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Shit looks done in MS Paint.

Stupid middleware.

Code to the metal, hand drawn sprites-of gtfo.

Randomsense

New Challenger
I have to agree the characters and animation are really rough. The gameplay from what I watched of the video also doesn't have the same sense of speed or power... even on the specials. This is no Windjammers.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The developer posted an update in the comments:
Always great to hear feedback!
The visual aesthetic is aiming at more of Sega 3d sports titles rather than that of a Neo Geo title. Unfortunately 3d 3ds visuals tend to look worse in videos and screenshots than actually on device especially when combined with compression.
Pace of play is obviously really important.- the gameplay was captured at lower difficulty for ease. It definitely gets more frenetic at higher difficulties and in multiplayer. I'll continue to tweak 'til I'm happy with it.
Its definitely not a game with a big budget, but a lot of love and care has gone into and I'm just one guy. I hope you guys enjoy it when it comes out and always happy to hear more thoughts.

I think it does look kinda shitty, maybe some graphics work and played at normal speed it would come off a little better. Either way, we're a bunch of jaded middle-aged Neo Geo fans so we'll always shit on something that's a modern take on a Neo Geo game.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The fan made sequel is a million times better looking and interesting.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I think the use of the term 'legendary' kind of puts into perspective the strength of the neo library outside of fighters.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The developer posted an update in the comments:

I think it does look kinda shitty, maybe some graphics work and played at normal speed it would come off a little better. Either way, we're a bunch of jaded middle-aged Neo Geo fans so we'll always shit on something that's a modern take on a Neo Geo game.

The graphics look like if they added an ultimate frisbee DLC to Wii Fit. He's not doing the genre a favor.

The fan made sequel is a million times better looking and interesting.

It sure does. If they sped up the gameplay a bit, it would be perfect.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
didn't even know about a fan made sequel. crazy power disc looks sweet.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Yup, that was my only problem with it was the speed. If it was the same as the original it would be so damn playable and fun.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The graphics look like if they added an ultimate frisbee DLC to Wii Fit. He's not doing the genre a favor.

Now, this is a lot more like it. If they brought this version to the 3DS, even at the slower pace of things, it would be a hit.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
another wasted opportunity... Windjammers is so choice, why not keep closer to the original?
Also +1 for CPDP.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
Reminds me of when Tecmo thought they had a great idea to bring back Tecmo Superbowl on the DS.. idea was great, but they utterly failed in execution. Looks like what is though.. a throwaway budget title. Too bad..

yeah, that fan made version looks way cooler.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Reminds me of when Tecmo thought they had a great idea to bring back Tecmo Superbowl on the DS.. idea was great, but they utterly failed in execution. Looks like what is though.. a throwaway budget title. Too bad..

yeah, that fan made version looks way cooler.

Tecmo Bowl on DS, while ugly, was a fucking fantastic playing game. Had all the fun of the original, just piss poor visuals.