Flickering video with AES - need help!

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hi everyone, I'm having problems with an AES I've just sold. It's a US system NEO-AES board modded with RGB bypass, stereo sound, reset LED and unibios 2.1. I tested it well before I sent it off and it was working fine, never had any problems with it. I've just had an email from the guy saying that the picture is flickering. He's sent me a video of it but I don't have any webspace to host it, so if anyone could host it for me it'd be much appreciated. :D

I've suggested he tries cleaning the cart contacts, although it doesn't look like the usual picture with dirty contacts. He's using the original power supply with a stepdown converter. I thought it may be a problem with the frequency, but he said he has used two Jap systems on the same tv and they worked fine.

Has anyone got any other suggestions? I'd feel really bad if I'd sold the guy a system that doesn't work properly :(

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The wiring for the RGB mod may have come loose in shipping. also other factors may be at work but that would be the simplest explanation.

cheers,
-DT

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Thanks for the suggestions guys. None of them sound good though and would involve posting the Neo back to me to fix it, bugger! I wouldn't have thought a loose wire would give this flickering screen though and those solder joints were pretty sound anyway! Surely that would result in a missing colour or no image at all?

It'd probably give you a better idea of the problem if you could see the video he sent me of the flickering screen. Does anyone have about 5mb of webspace spare to host the video file?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
When you tested the system were you using this guy's PSU and scart cable or your own? Because the problem may well be in the difference between his and your setup. Original power supplies are getting old by now and that one may have issues. It happened to me before: I was sent a bare system that I modded and after shipping it back the owner tells me he sees some faint lines or flickering, so I send him my own PSU and everything was fine.

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
When I tested the system I was using the power supply and scart cable that I sent with the system. Although saying that I did this a few weeks before I sent the Neo to him. I did a quick test before I packaged it up but I just plugged it into my personal Neo power supply. The guy has two other Jap systems and he said he's tried using his own scart cable with it as well. I'll suggest he tries using the power supplies from his Jap systems as long as they're the correct voltage.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Watched the video, I wonder if you have tried a different TV because it looks like the TV dosent like the video signal.

Raz

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Razoola said:
Watched the video, I wonder if you have tried a different TV because it looks like the TV dosent like the video signal.

Raz

Well if Raz got the video to work then it must be working ok! I wondered if it was the tv but the guy said he has two other aes's that work fine on that tv. Do you think the rgb bypass mod could cause this?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The video is a little weird cause it looks like the media player window is still trying to connect. You just gave to keep waiting (while it says connecting) and the video will start eventually.

Raz

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
Also, unless you have the proper extension for firefox, you'll have to watch it in internet explorer. Otherwise, you get a "you need to download the plugin" message and a link that will never give you the proper plugin, lol.

And that sucks about the neo... I recently purchased one, and the picture quality is heavily pixelated. I've got to drop the sharpness on my tv to pretty much nothing in order to have it look right.

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
ShyningFade said:
Also, unless you have the proper extension for firefox, you'll have to watch it in internet explorer. Otherwise, you get a "you need to download the plugin" message and a link that will never give you the proper plugin, lol.

And that sucks about the neo... I recently purchased one, and the picture quality is heavily pixelated. I've got to drop the sharpness on my tv to pretty much nothing in order to have it look right.

Hhm well as long as the video uploaded to the site ok then there's not a lot else I can do. It's only a basic .avi file so it should play ok.

It does suck and I have to get it sorted. The neo was working fine when the guy bought it so I need to figure out what's causing the problem. If it's the neo then I'll need to sort it out.