First games to buy for a NGPC?

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Hehehe... with all the recent polls I figured I would beat PolluxTroy to a topic (yes yes, i'm sure it's been brought up in the past elsewhere on the forum).

Sorry PolluxTroy, i'm not making this a poll though.

I'm a noob to NGPC. Yes other than holding a friend's system i'm a complete virgin to all the games.

What would you buy first? Think a fighter (or 2) and maybe an action or puzzle game.

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Love me some Metal Slugs. Sonic Pocket Adventure is a great Sonic game, probably the best portable one out there.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Get Match of The Millenium (Fantastic fighing game, the best game on the system), both Card Fighters Clash (card puzzle game? I'm not sure how to call this type of games), Puyo Pop (totally awesome version of Puyo Puyo 2), Metal Slug 2 (enough said) and Sonic (This one kinda looks like a port of the Genesis version of Sonic 2 which it the best Sonic ever made IMO).

lions3

Igniz's Servent

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
not sure of your thoughts on MVS/AES Turf Masters, but the pocket version is amazingly solid for what it is, you can't go wrong with it, even if you don't like golf.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
not sure of your thoughts on MVS/AES Turf Masters, but the pocket version is amazingly solid for what it is, you can't go wrong with it, even if you don't like golf.

Seconded, my only problem with the NGP is the back light, I been postponing that project for a long time. That is the only thing missing on the pocket.

Great games overall from SNK at least.

I also have a weird addiction to gals fighters.

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
If you are just starting out, grab Card Fighters Clash, Match of the Millennium, and Neo Turf Masters. Those are three of the best games on the system all with a ton of replay value. I know I put over 40 hours into CFC alone. That'll give you some variety too instead of just having fighters.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Those are three of the best games on the system all with a ton of replay value. I know I put over 40 hours into CFC alone.

Agreed. Although I've put 300+ hours into CFC over four separate playthroughs.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Last Blade, SamSho1 (the black & white game), KOF. And yeah, Match of the Millennium is great. I'd choose the others I listed over it, but that's just me. Fatal Fury is a little stiffer to control, but I like that a lot, too.

Puzzle games... I've played a lot of NGPC Reversi.

Actually, I've been thinking a lot the last couple of days about trying to track down a NGPC and some games to buy. Mine is packed in an unlabeled box in a relative's garage in another country. I think it might still be cheaper and easier to get all-new stuff than to ask them to dig through my stuff, which I wouldn't be wild about anyway.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Match of Millennium as the most bang for your buck as in filled with cool stuff and addictive.

Card Fighters as the new found drug you'll run into, it will suck you in fiercely.

Neo Turf Masters as the greatest opus and testament to handheld golf games, it's that great, even surpassing NTM in some functional aspects, it also leads it to be a bit easier but excellent nonetheless.

You get those 3 and let the good times roll, welcome aboard!

Edit: Incidentally...you could also join in the Neo Turf Masters: Los Turfes Club Pocket League, always open for more members ;)

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
See if Flashmasta.com has any flash carts available. Especially great for testing games or some of the translated games.

Neo Turf Masters, Cardfighters SNK or Capcom, Dynamite Slugger, Samurai Shodown 1 or 2 and Crush Roller are a few of my favorites. Sonic is really good for a port, however the blurring affects gameplay sometimes.

ErFava

n00b
Take Match of the Millennium and Neo Turf Master (this one is my favorite, played for hours.... )

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I love nearly all the NGPC games but the ones I tend to play the most are the sports games.
Baseball Stars Color, Neo Cup '98, Pocket Tennis Color, and NTM are all amazing and addictive.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Will also vote for Match of the Millennium to start with. Definitely biggest bang for buck. Hard to go wrong with pretty much any other game to go with it! I'd happily second a lot of the choices already mentioned, above.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
System scooped.

So I thought most all games were dual language. Wrong. At least NTM and battle of the millennium are dual.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I also haven't noticed anyone mention Pocket Tennis, which is my favorite tennis game outside of Virtua. It's seriously good fun on the go.

and also just an FYI I don't really EVER play sports games, except for these, which I play regularly cuz they're damn good.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Wait. Card fighters is similar to MTG?! Oh lord, where have I been?

As an old timer with Magic The Addiction. This game just became must.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Wait. Card fighters is similar to MTG?! Oh lord, where have I been?

As an old timer with Magic The Addiction. This game just became must.

It's waaaaaay simpler than MtG, but still a good game.

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
Cant go wrong with Metal Slug 1st and 2nd Mission. Those would be my favorite but I love metal slug. I also enjoy Sonic, Match of the Millennium, King of Fighters R2.

nesboy43

n00b
I unfortunately got rid of my system a few years back (before I had a decent job). However, I remember my favorites were:

Beast Buster 1999
Sonic Pocket Adventure
Puzzle Bobble

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
welcome to the Pocket... I love it.
All good starting titles have been mentioned I guess, except maybe Dark Arms - still cheap to be had, nice atmosphere and concept.