first CMVS finished at last...

danUK

New Challenger
finally got my first CMVS (MV1-C) finished, full album available at www.sgrepository.com

big thanks to all those that helped, including all the resources available via the search button at neogeo.com, hardmvs, razoola's universebios site, Jeff Kurtz, and of course eric at southtown homebrew for the cool graphics....

normal_f.jpg

Yeti 0f Doom

Rugal's Thug
Looks pretty nice!

Although, it still bothers me a lot when people kill them Agetec DC sticks...

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Nice, I really like the case!

Did you use resistors as a voltage divider for the stereo output? I was checking out the pictures and it doesn't look like you did... Does this board output line-leveled stereo some how?

This really has me thinking about building another consolized mvs. My two slot is rather big and bulky. These one slots look to be the way to go.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Very, very nice. What was the case made of (sorry if it's been mentioned already, I didn't see it)?

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
gamejunkie said:
Nice, I really like the case!

Did you use resistors as a voltage divider for the stereo output? I was checking out the pictures and it doesn't look like you did... Does this board output line-leveled stereo some how?

This really has me thinking about building another consolized mvs. My two slot is rather big and bulky. These one slots look to be the way to go.

You can tap line level stereo right off these boards.

Great job by the way. Looks fantastic!

danUK

New Challenger
Thanks for the comments guys...

Casing was just made out of MDF wood, and lots of time sanding and filling, then sprayed up with aerosol cans called 'plastikote'

DC sticks & buttons were ripped out for Sanwa items and re-wired accordingly using some neo extension cables, i've still got the original PCB and wiring so can always revert these back to dreamcast sticks

and the stereo hack is pretty easy too, must admit i was a bit nervous hacking up a brand new MV1-C board!!

I was a bit unsure if the sony PSP 5v 2A power supply might have enough grunt but its been fine during several 3hr 2 player stints, i guess its when these things are driving cab speakers they need the current

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Congrats man sure is a thing of beauty that it is :buttrock:

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
That looks great, good size for those who have a small living area or want to take it places. Its also good to know you can rewire the DC controllers back if needed, would've been a shame if you couldn't.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Very nice and very clean. :buttrock:

Question though, since you did the stereo hack on the 1C why didnt you just get all the connections off the jamma edge for everything else? You cant exactly just put the 1C back in a cab now since theres no audio amp and the traces are cut.

Also do you make custom wood boxes by chance? PM me if you do.

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
That looks fantastic. I would love to consolize one myself but during the school semester not that much time. I'll get around to it one day.

danUK

New Challenger
i did think about the cab issue etc but i thought if it came to it you could always run the 'stereo out' through an external audio amp similar to if you wanted to run the CPS2's 'stereo out' etc

i also didn't want to touch the jamma edge for fear of it perhaps not looking quite as neat, which I suppose is a bit tricky with respect to the rest of the board anyway as everything is on display with the exception of the pickups for the controller & sync which are underneath, (also making the unibios socket install neat isn't easy!!)

definitely a fair comment though Xian Xi, and i can't think of a good way round it at the minute

i'm not sure about custom boxes yet, and its nice to hear a few people are interested, and i'm definitely not ruling out the possibility

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
danUK said:
i did think about the cab issue etc but i thought if it came to it you could always run the 'stereo out' through an external audio amp similar to if you wanted to run the CPS2's 'stereo out' etc

i also didn't want to touch the jamma edge for fear of it perhaps not looking quite as neat, which I suppose is a bit tricky with respect to the rest of the board anyway as everything is on display with the exception of the pickups for the controller & sync which are underneath, (also making the unibios socket install neat isn't easy!!)

definitely a fair comment though Xian Xi, and i can't think of a good way round it at the minute

i'm not sure about custom boxes yet, and its nice to hear a few people are interested, and i'm definitely not ruling out the possibility

Dan,

Your CMVS looks dam clean on the inside, I'm not gonna even show mine because it looks like a bird's eye view of Medusa eating spaghetti. Your wiring looks like Jeff Kurtz did it as he is a perfectionist when it comes to wiring. I just soldered mine on the jamma edge since the board I had wasnt pretty and I dont have a cab..lol

So how long did it take you from start to finish?

neo geo forever

Cheng's Errand Boy
15 Year Member
Wow super clean. That Bios looks like a fun job to wire. You must have some patience. Once again very nice work.

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
It's cool! I like this setting with 2 dc sticks! :buttrock:

danUK

New Challenger
james, i'd say it must have taken 30hrs+, but i did it over a period of 6-8 weeks so difficult to say for certain, and with it being my first attempt at anything remotely like this it probably took longer than if i was to do it again

i thought the bios was going to be alot more difficult, but didn't actually seem that bad, and being able to borrow a half decent soldering iron helps no end! I was a bit nervous removing the original bios, so in the end i just used a scapel to chop the legs off near the ic body, which once removed, i used some small pliers on each pin and a little heat and they seemed to pull away nicely, alot easier than when i removed a bios on an AES i used to have to install a socket + unibios

as for the D button, it was a difficult choice, i plumped for these sticks so i had the flexibility in the future for AW and CPS2(ish)

anyway at the minute, the top row are B, C, D, and the bottom row is A, blank and then credit (or select in console mode)

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you are ging to use the sticks mainly for fighting games I would make the buttons:

AC5
BD6

And maybe install 2 small momentary push buttons for start and select as you dont really need a coin button since the unibios makes the select button a coin button.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
danUK said:
I'm not sure about custom boxes yet. It's nice to hear a few people are interested, and I'm definitely not ruling out the possibility.

Wow, color me interested in getting one of those custom boxes. :)

That's some impressive work, danUK. The finished product looks very professional.