First album you ever bought?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
For me it was either Beastie Boys: Licensed to Ill or Nirvana: Nevermind.

Since I didn't have a CD player of my own I had to use my parents stereo to copy them to tape so I could listen to them on an old Walkman. I messed with their stereo so much they ended up buying me a Discman for my birthday.

I also remember buying some goofy shit like Guns N Roses Use Your Illusions 1&2 and House of Pain.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I had a little portable 45 player as a kid in the 80s, and received the occasional single here and there. But in about 1990 or so, I got a boom box with a cassette deck for Christmas or something, and Lach will appreciate this, but the first tape I went to the store and bought was 'MC Hammer - Please Hammer, Don't Hurt em.' Ha! I still have it in a box somewhere in the basement.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m pretty sure the first album I ever bought was Nirvana: From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah on tape. The live version of Drain You is the best.

I didn’t really get in to music until I was in like the 7th grade. My friend used to copy his CDs to tape for me.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
First record was Thriller :emb:

Never bought any tapes

First CDs were Pearl Jam Ten and Vs. at the same time :emb:

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member

My big bro (RIP) would bump his music when I was growing up. Eazy helped me learn english.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I didn't really buy many albums. but I do recall getting an MC Hammer cassette tape in like 3rd grade.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Got a Pink Floyd A Momentary Lapse of Reason cassette tape for Christmas one year, when I was eight or so. Didn't really buy a lot, just mostly listened to the stuff we had around the house.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Probably Thriller

Edit - looking at the release date I was too young for that, and for Bad too.

So, don't know.

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
I know I’m into hardcore rap, grindcore and death metal buuuut…
New Kids On The Block - Step by Step

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
My dad would take me to record stores a lot growing up starting around 1989/1990. At first, I would just look at the NES games and occasionally convince him to buy me a used game. Then, I started to dabble in tapes and CDs, but only the absolute cheapest of the cheap. I didn't have much spending money in elementary school, so I'd buy whatever I recognized in the 10-cent or 25-cent tape bins or the dollar CD section. I picked up a lot of random stuff early on like Beach Boys, Weird Al, Spin Doctors, Guns N Roses, Salt N Pepa, Simpsons Sing the Blues, Beavis and Butt-Head Experience, etc.

The first CDs I ever bought brand new were Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill and Foo Fighters' S/T in the summer of 1995.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The first record album I bought was Hysteria in 1987, shortly followed by Appetite for Destruction and Bad. When I got a CD player in '91 the first few I bought were The White Room, Somewhere in Time and the Batman soundtrack. I had a few cassette tapes here and there but it was mostly vinyl and CDs. Everyone probably thinks the music of their youth was the best but it really was a great period across multiple genres.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The first CDs I ever bought brand new were Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill.
Same.

Edit: Wait, no, it was What's the Story Morning Glory. Jagged Little Pill was the second.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
1992, first CD ever was the soundtrack to Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country. I was 11, and apparently one big fucking nerd.

First ever album that I have a memory of hearing was the soundtrack to The Hobbit, the Rankin Bass cartoon, on vinyl. Around 1984 which I was three.

Again, big fucking nerd.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I definitely remember a lot of friends getting movie soundtracks as the first music they were allowed to get for themselves.

Batman
Addams Family
TMNT 2
Waynes World

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Huh... I wanna say my first cassette was Thriller in '86ish but the first one I vividly remember was Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation around when it came out.

First CD was Faith No More- The Real Thing when I got a CD player in '90.