Firearm enthusiast thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ok.
The only gloves I've ever worn shooting have been the mechanic type.
My last job gave us padded gloves (we did lots of riveting) and I never thought to try them shooting.
Then again I don't have anything big bore to beat myself up with.
Honestly the worst one is probably that little 442 air weight S&W.

Hey, horsepower to weight ratio...caliber doesn't matter, weight does. Those little airweights are hand smackers with +P ammo. I can't imagine the pain of the 11oz .357 they make.

All joking aside, I really do need some gloves...but I'm afraid they'll mess with my accuracy and grip. I'm finding that the grip is so crucial with a large gun and I'm afraid that a glove will take away the connection.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I find a pair of snug gloves work the best.
I just had to be aware of small trigger guards, like my Glocks and my Hudson, need to be sure not to get
It caught up on the trigger itself.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
It's funny...shooting a large bore magnum revolver will make you feel "like a virgin" again...

There is such a learning curve with one, they're so damn difficult to master. With the 1800 fps 180g hand smackers I'm currently loading, I can't stand much more than about 40 of them before my hands are too sore to shoot anymore.

I took out my 38 revolver just so I could get a win for the day...my shit groups with the 44 weren't a good way to end the day.

More like too expensive to master when a single round of anything over .44 such as 454, 460, 500, etc can cost $1.50-$2.00 The real good hot loads of .44 by Federal/American Eagle are 80 cent per round. You can easily fire off $100 in a hour or less.

The very first handgun I ever fired was a 50 cal and after popping my cherry on that whenever I switch over to a 9mm or 40 its like I'm firing a toy pellet gun.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Haven't posted on here in some time, been messing around with reloads all summer/fall. Mostly 44 special and magnum, 9mm.

A few years back, I wanted to build a benchrest AR that I could consistently shoot sub MOA at 100 yds. I built one with an 18" 1:8 223 Wylde barrel and some other franken-AR parts...manged some nice groups with it, sub MOA like I had started to achieve. My next step was to reload ammo that would shoot sub-MOA through it. I began that by purchasing a RCBS single stage press and the necessary equip a few weeks back. I initially took out some reloads on 12-29, didn't have the best results. 69g Sierra Match King reloads managed a .938" group (5-shots), I was doing something off with 77g Sierra Match kings, best group with those was 1.482".

Back to the drawing board last week, refined some processes, took my time, went back out on 1-5. It was 42F outside, wind 18-20mph right in my face, so I wasn't expecting the best results. In the end, I was pleasantly surprised, 69g SMK shot a best of .920", the 77g SMK really shined with a best of .488".

For a firearm I assembled from random parts and reloading my own ammo...I'm very happy with the results.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Picked up my first new pistol in years, a CZ P-01 Ω Urban Grey Suppressor-Ready. Really like it so far. Trigger is excellent. Have a Taran Tactical +4 mag extension coming in which with a new spring and follower should bring it up to 19 rounds I'm hoping.

fbyDtQol.jpg

dfh5p0sl.jpg

Last edited:

HellioN

20 Year Member
Picked up my first new pistol in years, a CZ P-01 Ω Urban Grey Suppressor-Ready. Really like it so far. Trigger is excellent. Have a Taran Tactical +4 mag extension coming in which with a new spring and follower should bring it up to 19 rounds I'm hoping.

fbyDtQol.jpg

dfh5p0sl.jpg

This is basically the metal framed version of my CZ P-07 suppressor.
Even the colour!:cool:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
It's all I've got. Don't laugh at me, lol.

Ruger 10/22, new stock, new trigger assembly, kidd bull barrel, Nikon 22lr scope. I'm not a "gun guy" obviously, but this was fun for plinking at the range and i could shoot for around 3 hours for about $40 including range fees, targets, clays, and going through a 325 round box. Haven't been out in a while and it doesn't look like I'll be out for a while longer. Either way, I'm bored, so I'm posting it :)

20150228_140134~2.jpg

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
This is basically the metal framed version of my CZ P-07 suppressor.
Even the colour!:cool:
How do you like CZ's polymer framed pistols? I don't think I've ever shot one. How is the trigger?

It's all I've got. Don't laugh at me, lol.

Ruger 10/22, new stock, new trigger assembly, kidd bull barrel, Nikon 22lr scope.

NOTHING wrong with .22lr's at all! They're a blast to shoot, quiet-ish, and you can't argue with the cost savings. I bring my CZ-USA CZ 455 Varmint Tacticool Suppressor-Ready out to the range every time and love it.

HellioN

20 Year Member
How do you like CZ's polymer framed pistols? I don't think I've ever shot one. How is the trigger?

I have a P-07 and a P-09 and I really like both. I know that really helped you right there.
I'll say I've seriously considered replacing my G23.3 with the P-07.
Far as the trigger goes both guns have the same Omega trigger as your P-01 so unless you've done some upgrades they are probably really close to what you have right now.
Are you using the lever as a decocker or safety?

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member

NOTHING wrong with .22lr's at all! They're a blast to shoot, quiet-ish, and you can't argue with the cost savings. I bring my CZ-USA CZ 455 Varmint Tacticool Suppressor-Ready out to the range every time and love it.

I just watched a review for yours. Looked really cool. Do you think the suppressor extensions are worth it? I can add one to the end of mine, but i never have.

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Are you using the lever as a decocker or safety?

It's installed as a decocker right now as I've never had one before (man, this sentence could already go bad right now lol) and wanted to try 'it' out lol.

I just watched a review for your. Looked really cool. To you think the suppressor extensions are worth it? I can add one to the end of mine, but i never have.
You're talking about a suppressor or silencer? A suppressed .22 is about as quiet as it gets and is hearing safe even at indoor ranges, or under covered outside ranges like mine is (both of which are louder than simply shooting out in the open). A .22lr suppressor is about $300-500 + a $200 tax stamp with up to a ~6-9 month wait... so it's up to you if you think that's worth it.

I have a 300 Blackout SDN-6 Suppressor for subsonic use and it's amazing (can use that same can on a 5.56 as well... but suppressed 5.56 is still VERY loud no matter what); and own an Octane suppressor for .45 and 9mm as well so I'm definitely a fan of shooting suppressed.

I would also keep in mind that a .22lr is pretty much the quietest caliber anyway (some of my more stupid friends shoot theirs without ear pro all the time despite me yelling at them), so the difference between a .22lr normal and .22lr suppressed is no where near as drastic as a 9mm normal vs. 9mm suppressed for example.

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
It's installed as a decocker right now as I've never had one before (man, this sentence could already go bad right now lol) and wanted to try 'it' out lol.

You're talking about a suppressor or silencer? A suppressed .22 is about as quiet as it gets and is hearing safe even at indoor ranges, or under covered outside ranges like mine is (both of which are louder than simply shooting out in the open). A .22lr suppressor is about $300-500 + a $200 tax stamp with up to a ~6-9 month wait... so it's up to you if you think that's worth it.

I have a 300 Blackout SDN-6 Suppressor for subsonic use and it's amazing (can use that same can on a 5.56 as well... but suppressed 5.56 is still VERY loud no matter what); and own an Octane suppressor for .45 and 9mm as well so I'm definitely a fan of shooting suppressed.

I would also keep in mind that a .22lr is pretty much the quietest caliber anyway (some of my more stupid friends shoot theirs without ear pro all the time despite me yelling at them), so the difference between a .22lr normal and .22lr suppressed is no where near as drastic as a 9mm normal vs. 9mm suppressed for example.

Thanks for the info. At 5-700, I'll hold off, haha. When I'm at the range i usually have plugs in under my other ear protection. Not for mine, for my buddy next to me who brings his bigger stuff.

He makes fun of me for using the scotch tape trick to switch my eye dominance so i can shoot righty. I should probably learn to shoot lefty, but it's uncomfortable.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've been hiding in my basement, doing some catchup on reloading. It seems we're in the midst of another panic driven ammo run...and that includes reloading supplies it seems...so perhaps I'll need to slim down this summer's activities...but we'll see.

With the "real" range closed (I have another place I can shoot on private property, but it's limited what I can do there), I've slowed down on my 44 mag reloading. Not much use if I can't stretch it out. Same goes with bench shooting an AR.

This week has been processing all my 223 brass...which takes a supreme amount of time. I'll say this, screw reloading plinking 223...no, I'll pick up a case of Wolf for <$200 when this panic subsides. Reloading 223 is just too much work. Now...for match ammo? That's a different story.

I'm currently loading 38 special for just under $5/box...I use that for open steel shooting with my S&W 627.

I figured it's been some time since I popped up a gun pic on this site...so here goes. Here's the 44 magnum with a Burris scope I added about a month back:

NQE5KkNl.jpg

She's a serious boomer with hot reloads...I love shooting it...

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Is there an online place you buy ammo from? Everything seem to be backordered or sold out.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Is there an online place you buy ammo from? Everything seem to be backordered or sold out.

Honestly, I won't even bother at the moment. My long time go-to is SGAmmo and they got hammered so much, they locked down their online sales. You can search places like Midway usa, Brownells' , AIM surplus, Natchez, Lucky Gunner and the lot...but most seem to be sold out, or price gouging.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Don’t buy from the gougers.

100%...that just empowers them to do it again.

Fucking scumbags...every time, they're there waiting. It used to irritate me, but in all honesty, I'm rather used to it now.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
https://ammoseek.com/ is a good tool for finding stuff

luckily instead of buying toilet paper when this was all about to kick off I grabbed a bunch of 5.56 and 9mm.

lol

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member

I went on ammoseek and found some, but they can't ship straight to a customer in California anymore so i didn't order.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
CA is fucked mate.

We have to get a background check to get ammo now. It’s possibly the most egregious burden on our right currently. The other stuff is bad, but this is the worst.

I don’t shoot much anymore, but when this is over I need to buy at least a box of ammo a month.

I still have a decent amount of 7n6 &#55357;&#56397;

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
CA is fucked mate.

We have to get a background check to get ammo now. It’s possibly the most egregious burden on our right currently. The other stuff is bad, but this is the worst.

I don’t shoot much anymore, but when this is over I need to buy at least a box of ammo a month.

I still have a decent amount of 7n6 ��

Holy shit man that's nuts...

I knew about the featureless rifle/standard capacity thing, but wow.