Finally my ticket out of horrible retail jobs?

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
This week some old woman at my work (Toys R Us) who's been there for a long time started talking to me about the job because she'd heard that I was looking to go into business for myself. She asked me if I liked working retail. She then went on to say that in order to do it for a long time you need to really love it and have a passion for it because it doesn't pay anything. Wow, no shit lady? But have a passion for it? What? I didn't know what to say. I just stared at her. I don't even want to hear her tell me that she loves working there. It's not the worst job ever, but come on. Is it even possible to want to be in retail for your whole life unless you own the store or are the boss or something?

So I am trying to learn how to go into business doing mortgages and I have a really promising interview at a bank tomorrow. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET ME OUT OF HERE. I'm 25, way too old to still be stuck at these dead-end jobs.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The morgatge job is likely to be a different type of dead end job...

But it is better because:

It likely pays better.
It looks better on a resume.
Women (or men if you are gay) will actually respect you.
It may open doors to a different but unrealted career.

TheBigBB

norton9478 said:
The morgatge job is likely to be a different type of dead end job...

But it is better because:

It likely pays better.
It looks better on a resume.
Women (or men if you are gay) will actually respect you.
It may open doors to a different but unrealted career.

Hmmm

I am not being hired into the mortgage business, but rather eventually learning how to go into business for myself. The bank is just a stepping stone in that pursuit, although I plan to stay there for a while and see what happens. I would possibly work anywhere long term if they kept promoting me. My contingency plan is to be my own businessman selling mortgages. Both of my parents are remarried and 3 out of 4 of them are in business for themselves owning companies, selling mortgages and doing real estate. And all of them think it would be great if I could get started at a bank. :)

Well this is probably boring, I mostly wanted to bash retail cause I'm sick of it.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Dude im right there with you. I was making really good money being a higher up for GameStop but I realized that the retail occupation is just full of sharks. Everyone out for blood, everyone out for your job, every move you make being scrutinized, silly ass policy and all that crap. So I made the decision about a month ago that I had to get out. Im now currently looking into going back to school for nursing....YES I SAID NURSING before anyone tries to rag on me. I just decided I wanted more out of life. At 25 I needed more than just a "job" im looking for a career and retail just wasnt gonna give me that. I was running my own spot BUT GS ran me out of business basically. Then I went to work for the beast and after a year I couldnt take it anymore. It was all bullshit. I wish you look at your interview though.

O.

TheBigBB

O. Yashiro said:
Dude im right there with you. I was making really good money being a higher up for GameStop but I realized that the retail occupation is just full of sharks. Everyone out for blood, everyone out for your job, every move you make being scrutinized, silly ass policy and all that crap. So I made the decision about a month ago that I had to get out. Im now currently looking into going back to school for nursing....YES I SAID NURSING before anyone tries to rag on me. I just decided I wanted more out of life. At 25 I needed more than just a "job" im looking for a career and retail just wasnt gonna give me that. I was running my own spot BUT GS ran me out of business basically. Then I went to work for the beast and after a year I couldnt take it anymore. It was all bullshit. I wish you look at your interview though.

O.

Yeah, I saw my last boss get run out of the business by being walked all over and stressed over things that weren't her fault. She was honestly the best employee they could have had working for them. She even won an award for being such a great employee and got rated above average on a few things on her evaluation (very hard to get above standard on those things). Yet they wore her down and she left the job because she could not handle it. Sad.

As for me, I could never earn a promotion. NO ONE EVER OBSERVED ME WORK. EVER. I had no motivation to do good work. I was being paid rock bottom wages and no one was watching me. I had a job at a supermarket where I would spend entire shifts in the back room with my head in my hands sitting down, or reading Rolling Stone Magazine, and no one ever noticed. In fact, everyone said I did a great job compared to the other guy who did my shift. Mostly because the other guy would ruin the store because he was nuts.

melchia

Franco's Trainer
hey man, good luck. if you get the job, it doesn't have to be a dead-end thing. you can use it as either a stepping stone toward a better job, or you can keep your head up and ears open for any other investment or other opportunities that come your way. jobs like those can easily be used as entrance into other far more lucrative fields/opps. it's only dead-end if you focus solely on doing your job and fail to see the outside-the-box opportunities. ;)

aria

Former Moderator
O. Yashiro said:

O.

Listen, Gaylord, there ain't nothing wrong with nursing. It's a long path if you're aiming at RN, but all of it's a good, well-paying and respected profession.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Bobak said:
Listen, Gaylord, there ain't nothing wrong with nursing. It's a long path if you're aiming at RN, but all of it's a good, well-paying and respected profession.

I saw that one coming lol. But I was being very serious....well not about getting ragged on but about wanting more out of life than retail could offer. It got so stressful to be the reason the district (GameStop) I worked for to constantly be in the top 10 in the company, constantly in top rankings for reserves, top ranking for sales (comp), yet never feeling appreciated. Then if you dropped ever so slightly in one single area, reserves for example, your ass got ran into the ground. Silly stupid ass policies being imposed by people at HR who dont work a single day at the store level but expect us to abide by rules that we arent supposed to break BUT if its a customer service issue we can get fired for not breaking. It was just too much. The few years I ran my shop were so liberating yet I knew I couldnt survive with the likes of GS out there.

I already have my Associates Degree in Computer Science but the computer field, quite honestly is oversaturated in my area. Im afraid to venture out too far also. I looked into law but DAMN I dont have the time or the money to do that, especially at 25 already. I just see nursing as a field with instant rewards. There will always be a job available, which gives me the option of relocation. It just seems like a field that will always grow and I can grow with it.

thats my rant for now

*awaits custom male nurse rank :)*

O.

aria

Former Moderator
O. Yashiro said:
I saw that one coming lol. But I was being very serious....well not about getting ragged on but about wanting more out of life than retail could offer. It got so stressful to be the reason the district (GameStop) I worked for to constantly be in the top 10 in the company, constantly in top rankings for reserves, top ranking for sales (comp), yet never feeling appreciated. Then if you dropped ever so slightly in one single area, reserves for example, your ass got ran into the ground. Silly stupid ass policies being imposed by people at HR who dont work a single day at the store level but expect us to abide by rules that we arent supposed to break BUT if its a customer service issue we can get fired for not breaking. It was just too much. The few years I ran my shop were so liberating yet I knew I couldnt survive with the likes of GS out there.

I already have my Associates Degree in Computer Science but the computer field, quite honestly is oversaturated in my area. Im afraid to venture out too far also. I looked into law but DAMN I dont have the time or the money to do that, especially at 25 already. I just see nursing as a field with instant rewards. There will always be a job available, which gives me the option of relocation. It just seems like a field that will always grow and I can grow with it.

thats my rant for now

*awaits custom male nurse rank :)*

O.

Other than the Focker reference, I was serious ;)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What Kind of Nursing program you in?

2 year? 3 Year? BS?

Nothing wrong with nursing....

It's just about the only occupation where anyone who completes a 2 year program can get hired immediately for $30k minimum.

And you can move wherever the fuck you want.... Not job searching. Move to any small city and apply at every hospital, Nursing home and facility. If you don't have a job within 3 weeks, then you are not trying hard enough.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
@DM

Go to grad school...it helps out significantly if you would like to wind up in a better place for work.

TheBigBB

So, I got the job! Best interview ever. One of the assistant managers kept saying "I like this kid!". I somehow managed to flatter two of the women who were interviewing me. I had three of the head people working there cracking up like it was a party or something. Seriously I don't think I'll ever have a better job interview.

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
you know.
not that i'm trying to steer you on this kind of thing, but
an older guy i know actually does the whole buy a house and sell it.
like they have on the infomercials at night.
makes he admitted around 40 which isn't a whole lot it would seem but
he said that was only a few houses and he took a break during the holidays.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
norton9478 said:
What Kind of Nursing program you in?

2 year? 3 Year? BS?

Nothing wrong with nursing....

It's just about the only occupation where anyone who completes a 2 year program can get hired immediately for $30k minimum.

And you can move wherever the fuck you want.... Not job searching. Move to any small city and apply at every hospital, Nursing home and facility. If you don't have a job within 3 weeks, then you are not trying hard enough.

Im gonna do a 2 year program (which I can finish in less than that) at my local college then upon completion I plan on relocating to a larger city either in state or MOVING altogether, getting a job in my field, and then going to a university to finish my studies. I pretty much have tunnel vision on this b/c like I said I need to be doing something more. But as for my field I am doing respiratory.

DM: Congrats man. I hope this works out for you.

O.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
dmhawkmoon said:
Yeah, I saw my last boss get run out of the business by being walked all over and stressed over things that weren't her fault. She was honestly the best employee they could have had working for them. She even won an award for being such a great employee and got rated above average on a few things on her evaluation (very hard to get above standard on those things). Yet they wore her down and she left the job because she could not handle it. Sad.

I had this happen to me a few months back. My last boss, who was cool as hell, quit the job because his boss was on his ass constanly about the smallest stuff. His boss had (and still has) no social skills whatsoever. He ran the number one store for three years, always stayed on top of his game and was very fun to work around with (sometimes). Yet this bitch comes in and just runs him and everyone else down! She even had the nerve to actually talk down one of my former co-workers in front of other customers of all things! It sucks, I know, but I sometimes feel that the higher ups sent her to my district to basically get people to quit the company so that they can hire new people; they don't want to fire anyone so that they can avoid paying unemployment.

As for me, I could never earn a promotion. NO ONE EVER OBSERVED ME WORK. EVER. I had no motivation to do good work. I was being paid rock bottom wages and no one was watching me. I had a job at a supermarket where I would spend entire shifts in the back room with my head in my hands sitting down, or reading Rolling Stone Magazine, and no one ever noticed. In fact, everyone said I did a great job compared to the other guy who did my shift. Mostly because the other guy would ruin the store because he was nuts.

I've worked at Blockbuster for two years and all i've gotten was a $0.20 raise and a new position. Within the transfer to "game advisor", I got nothing extra and no extra benefits other than PTO and tuition remburshment. When they have no one else that'll come in for them, who shows up? Me! If someone decided not to show up for work for whatever reason, who shows up? Me! I'm leaving Blockbuster once I get back from Japan so I can't bitch and complain too much about the place right now. Working at the university and at my internet company gives me more opportunities anyway.

Peace and love!
Maury V.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
O. Yashiro said:
Im gonna do a 2 year program (which I can finish in less than that) at my local college then upon completion I plan on relocating to a larger city either in state or MOVING altogether, getting a job in my field, and then going to a university to finish my studies. I pretty much have tunnel vision on this b/c like I said I need to be doing something more.

O.

That's a good plan... Since you are a nontradional student (as many nursing students are), That's the path that I'd recomend. You can hit the ground running with just the 2 year degree. Many clinical institutions have very generous tuition reimbersement. Some don't even require you to make a comitement.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
As for work...

I don't understand why so many people do retail...

I'd rather work in a factory.

TheBigBB

norton9478 said:
As for work...

I don't understand why so many people do retail...

I'd rather work in a factory.

It's very easy to get hired at a retail job. If you have no job and you need one immediately, retail is the easiest place to go. Some people get lazy and don't bother trying to escape. Other people are terrible at interviews and have a bad resume or bad history and they just stay at retail because at least it's something.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Another plus for the retail sector is that often thay can be more flexible in the hours they can offer you...which can leave you free to pursue other interests (other jobs, continuing education, etc).

And congrats on the successful interview.
icon14.gif