Finally got a Neo Geo

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
So, I've been a huge SNK fan since the beginning. I remember seeing the AES console when I was about 10 (1990/91) and thinking that's so cool but I'll never get it. Once I had my own cash I was still playing a lot of the red MVS machines at the arcade w/friends, but the price of carts scared me away from the console. Later on after the demise of the Dreamcast I kinda lost interest in games all togethor. Recently some of my friends have been playing Neo Geo emulators and I got a case of nostalgia. 6 mo ago I started lurking on this forum and dusted off my old NGPC. I almost bought a consolised MVS but timing was bad, I wanted to see some Neo Geo machines again but most of the arcades from when I was a kid are gone now. So even though it took me this long to join you, this forum has really helped me get in touch with my roots and fond memories, not to mention get up to date on the SNKplaymore phenomenon. My new Neo Geo AES (super modded, uni-bios, s-vid, etc) and three games arrived in the mail just a few short days ago. I had the NG buzz like crazy (still do) as I opened the box and reverted to a simpler better time from my past, check; one more life long goal fulfilled. Now a proud member of the Neo Geo elite! :glee:

Nice mate!

What games did you purchase with your AES?
I have an AES too, but I really wanted Garou MOTW and this game is simply too expensive. That's why I decided to get an MVS.

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
Congrats and welcome to the party! Your story sounds similar to mine, but I took the consolized MVS route last year and never looked back. Enjoy the AES. :D

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
Games so far

I had to go the cheap route since the console set me back. So far it's just NAM75, Blue's journey (besides what most think this is one of my fav NG games since I played it years ago and I think it's an awesome platformer), and SS2 (so far I love this game and it's a good refresher for me). My wish list is getting impossibly long and expensive, everytime I see screenshots and read reviews I add new titles to the list. The Neo Geo actually inspired me to get another job since this is an expensive hobby and I want some of the more expensive carts (who says SNK can't change your life?). I hope the new "super phantom" convertor works well, cause some games I want are MVS only or too expensive for AES.
I actually found a surviving arcade too, although limited compared to years ago, they had SVC Chaos and KoF03 (both awesome) for my amusement, and a sad old red cabinet with a really dark and blurry screen SS4, unfortunately no memory card port (I've always wanted to save an arcade game). I made sure all my tokens went to the SNK machines ;) , even though SVC Chaos wasn't in a red cab and had a huge Capcom sticker on it :oh_no: .

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I remember my first "I got a Neo today!" thread, was very exciting.
A few months later I had an empty bank account and around 9 AES games.

I look over at a candy cab, see the price, contemplate how much it will cost to start an mvs collection with it.
Sold all my AES stuff a few months later and bought a nice big candy cabinet with a shitload of MVS carts for around the cost of a used Metal Slug 1 AES.

I feel that I did the right thing.

Anyway anyone getting into the Neo is going to have an awesome time and there is no better way to start than getting an AES, it's always worth what you paid for it.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Welcome to the "insane asylum" and have fun going bankrupt ;)

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Awesome. Welcome aboard. If you're anything like me, you'll soon spend more money than you even thought you made. ;)

brightangel

Crazed MVS Addict
Hey, congrats on realising something that you've wanted for a very long time.

I'm only about 2 months into this and have an AES (unmodded), 7 AES carts (including MOTW...I can't believe I forked out for that) and 3 MVS carts.

After a lot of consideration and help from the members here, I think I will just have to go MVS in order to actually play the games that I want to.

Lachlan hits the nail on the head: for the price of an MS1 cart, he's already got a cab. Imagine the satisfaction from getting that!

I've bought MSX, MS3 and KOF98 on MVS and it hasn't even touched the price I paid for MOTW on the AES.

It's one thing wanting to collect, but it becomes annoying when you actually want to play half of these games.

Still, I don't think there's a need to 'switch' to an MVS system. My intention is to keep the AES and pick up collectible titles when (if ever) I can afford them. In the meantime, the MVS system is supposed to keep me busy. Mind you, I still need to buy an MVS board...*sigh*...a nice consolised 2-slot maybe.

crazycanuck

Crossed Swords Squire
It was a bit the same, I discovered the neo-geo at the beginning, my first game was Trash Rally. Then I bought some games until 94 with the arrival of the playstation.

Then, in 2004, with the boring sequels of new generation console games, I have been caught back by nostalgia and have build a big neo geo collection of 46 AES and 51 CDZ games... and really enjoying all of them !!!

And this community is the greatest videogames site that I have discovered !!! And dealing with neo market is very fun and interesting... so great to hava all these nice looking carts and CD's !!!

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
Has anyone thought about getting that new "super phantom" convertor from neoflash? They claim it's compatible with all MVS carts and it's cheaper than a consolised MVS if you already have the AES.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
If it does what they claim, I'll be all over one.
-BB

KBneospy said:
Has anyone thought about getting that new "super phantom" convertor from neoflash? They claim it's compatible with all MVS carts and it's cheaper than a consolised MVS if you already have the AES.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Welcome...after you have emptied out your bank account, think about selling it all and getting 4x what you had plus a cab :D. I wanted an AES, but a local sailor was selling a 2 slot that he swipped off a ship (the carts he sold me with it are still labled with the ships name etc ) at $350 for a gold cab, and no shipping it just couldn't be beat. This cab has gotten more playtime thenany other console I have ever owned. Anyway, enjoy the AES and the forums.

K'99

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
I actually got lucky and found an Aes on ebay that was really cheap but in great condition about 3 weeks ago with two original joysticks and a memory card for 180$

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I too recently got a Mega Modded AES. My first game is coming soon; Samurai Showdown 2 JPN.

GAMEFAN

Tengu666

n00b
Heh cool KBneospy, my story is the same as yours basically... playing the AES a lot in the early 90's when I worked in a videogames wholeseller after school but never had the dough to afford it.

Some 5 years ago, after I kinda lost interest in videogames for a long time I got into Dreamcast and soon the NG came into sight again and I discovered the MVS phenomenon. So I went on a quest for a cab or supergun because the AES was just out of reach (game prices). But I never actually got one. So I forgot all about it and continued with the next gen stuff...

Until last week : I was looking for a Super Famicom to import when I saw the NG again on e-bay and the buzz hit me again and I just had to save up for an AES. So I sold some of my rare vinyl records (another crazy and expensive hobby of mine) And today I finally bought one! Through e-bay , in Japan! With FF Special and original stick for just $150,- (ex. shipping).

Now, finally a long dream of owning the NG has come true and I hope to get started with collecting some of the great titles I played as a teenager.
This forum has already learned me a great deal about modding, games, hardware, etc... so now I can finally start living the dream :buttrock:

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
Tengu666 said:
Heh cool KBneospy, my story is the same as yours basically... playing the AES a lot in the early 90's when I worked in a videogames wholeseller after school but never had the dough to afford it.

Some 5 years ago, after I kinda lost interest in videogames for a long time I got into Dreamcast and soon the NG came into sight again and I discovered the MVS phenomenon. So I went on a quest for a cab or supergun because the AES was just out of reach (game prices). But I never actually got one. So I forgot all about it and continued with the next gen stuff...

Until last week : I was looking for a Super Famicom to import when I saw the NG again on e-bay and the buzz hit me again and I just had to save up for an AES. So I sold some of my rare vinyl records (another crazy and expensive hobby of mine) And today I finally bought one! Through e-bay , in Japan! With FF Special and original stick for just $150,- (ex. shipping).

Now, finally a long dream of owning the NG has come true and I hope to get started with collecting some of the great titles I played as a teenager.
This forum has already learned me a great deal about modding, games, hardware, etc... so now I can finally start living the dream :buttrock:
Awesome Tengu, I'm also selling some of my previous impulse buys (Airsoft anyone?) to keep riding the Neo wave (no pun intended). I know that NeoGeo isn't just another impulsive hobby for me however since I have always wanted an AES and games. Slowly but surely my collection is building and my money is burning, I do plan on investing in MVS too for the expensive/unavailable games. I'd really like an adapter and a cab too, but I will never sell my AES (or carts) since I wanted one for so long. When I see my beautiful console and games under my screen I feel accomplished, some may flame me for this but it's simply nostalgia for a simpler time.