Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

"The Zodiac Age is a high-definition remaster of Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System, which adds to the original Final Fantasy XII with reconstructed game design and additional systems, with further system improvements and current generation technology."

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/final-fantasy-xii-zodiac-age-announced-ps4

I may go for a platinum trophy run if it has fast forward.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I re-ran this on PS2 a year or 2 ago. Great game, but it definitely needs some fixes to the battle system so you aren't spamming endless Quickening chains at high levels.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Fuck that...I'm holding out for the Final Fantasy VII remake...

*forever in waiting*

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Fuck that...I'm holding out for the Final Fantasy VII remake...

*forever in waiting*

It may not be what you think it's gonna be, for one it's separated into multi parts, so there's gonna be more than one purchase. They're changing the battle system and everything. It won't be the same game, just roughly the same story and characters/settings. Unsure if that's what you're hoping for or not, some people like that some don't.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It may not be what you think it's gonna be, for one it's separated into multi parts, so there's gonna be more than one purchase. They're changing the battle system and everything. It won't be the same game, just roughly the same story and characters/settings. Unsure if that's what you're hoping for or not, some people like that some don't.

Meh...I'll wait and see how back the muck it up. I've played FFVII...a ton. Where it had easily been 10 years since I last played it, I kind of have that "been there, done that" with the game.

A fresh take on it wouldn't bother me at all. I really liked the story of the game as well as the characters and the setting. The music is also iconic as well. I just hope they don't fuck with the Materia system, I really liked it.

With as many games have been screwed up, I really do not get excited about much anymore. If it's good, I'll get it, if it isn't, oh well.

xorthen

Banned
Not bad. I liked 12 but I didn't like the character designs. Goofy ass Rabbit Elf bitch and the effeminate protagonist had me cringing. Balthier and Basch were the only good male characters IMO.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I don't like XII.

Or X, X-2, or the XIII series, for that matter.

I, II, and IV-IX are where it's at

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'll only ever revisit this game with the cheats that speed up the gameplay like they did with VII, VIII, IX and so forth. WAAAAY too much of a grindfest. Everything takes too damn long in this game.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
So they remodeled the characters to PS3-quality... Doesn't that mean they'll look pretty weird set against PS2-quality scenery?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
FFXII is the one that "got away" for me.

I bought the collectors edition and strategy guide on release, played it for an hour, and never touched it again. Part of it was a grueling work schedule, but the other part of it was I was just burnt out on JRPGs and time consuming video games in general. I haven't bothered to revisit it since. Played and enjoyed FFXIII (a fair bit of the hate is unwarranted), and FF XIV: ARR.

I'll be picking this up and dedicating some time to it so I can see what I've missed.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So they remodeled the characters to PS3-quality... Doesn't that mean they'll look pretty weird set against PS2-quality scenery?

Cash grab. People will buy it so they put in the minimum effort to claim it's a HD remaster.

fake

15 Year Member
Cash grab. People will buy it so they put in the minimum effort to claim it's a HD remaster.

That's what I figured. I'll just play the PS2 version. I got the collector's edition but only played the first 5 hours or so because some life drama happened and I just put it aside permanently. I need to replay IV and finally try V first, though.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I loved FF12 back in the day; my PS2 save file has like 160 hours on it. The only thing I didn't do was finish off that final optional mark boss fight (Yiazmat), that giant dragon was crazy hard. I disagree with xorthen about Fran, she, and Viera bunny girls in general, are smoking hot; I concur that Vaan sucked though.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
this is the game that put me off final fantasy forever. i hated the levelling up system. it was just a clusterfuck of nonsensical confusion for me :very_ang: .

Fygee

20 Year Member
This one has a jobs system that is supposed to alleviate some of the frustrations with the previous leveling up system.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
This one has a jobs system that is supposed to alleviate some of the frustrations with the previous leveling up system.

Wait, an actual change to XII's core gameplay that streamlines the leveling?

Well, I'd be down for that. That was one of my two biggest problems with XII. The other was the ridiculously long time it took to complete side objectives.

And they need to fix the summons. I thought they sucked, but since there were so many other ways to win that game I didn't let it bug me much.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Correct. I don't know the details or how much it changes, but its different from the base game. The "better" edition was only released in Japan as far as I know a year after the first release. This remaster will be based on that.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Ive played the ps2 version of this, when you make your character you have to choose a job for them, and you cant change it. Jobs have unique sphere grids so you have to choose wisely, but any character can use any grid. There are a lot of new items and enemies to kill, but the killer app was being able to toggle speed mode which sped the game up like 2x.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'll definitely pick this up as I never played it on ps2.

fake

15 Year Member
Ive played the ps2 version of this, when you make your character you have to choose a job for them, and you cant change it. Jobs have unique sphere grids so you have to choose wisely, but any character can use any grid. There are a lot of new items and enemies to kill, but the killer app was being able to toggle speed mode which sped the game up like 2x.

Shit, well you just changed my mind. I'll buy this when I get a PS4.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I did enjoy this game, and I might just pick this version up. My gripe with it hwoever, was that even though I liked the battle system, the gambit setup was very cumbersome for me. I recall that I got to the final version of the last boss, but couldn't beat him cuz I couldnt figure out the proper gambits to setup pre-battle.:very_ang:

Also this game was a mad star wars knock off but I didnt mind :lolz:

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
zodiac job system rules!
red mage Fran FTW

xorthen

Banned
I loved FF12 back in the day; my PS2 save file has like 160 hours on it. The only thing I didn't do was finish off that final optional mark boss fight (Yiazmat), that giant dragon was crazy hard. I disagree with xorthen about Fran, she, and Viera bunny girls in general, are smoking hot; I concur that Vaan sucked though.

It's not too hard, it's just a really long battle.