Final Fantasy IV remake for DS

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
FF4 is Square's greatest moment, and to see it finally get the recognition it deserves is great news...

...but I still crack up every time I see Cecil HARVEY. Growing up only knowing him as Cecil, I expected he'd have something a bit more mysterious/noble than that as a last name...heh. I mean, Kain Highwind? Awesome. Cecil Harvey? Well...

-That artwork of Cecil, Rosa, and Kain standing by Baron's moat absolutely, positively MUST be transferred to poster size and be on my wall STAT. Beautiful...I want more of that stuff. I'm not as wild about the individual character art from what I've seen so far (Cecil looks like a woman, Rosa's a bit thinner than I'd imagined, and Kain's armor is that cool metallic blue/green, not navy blue) but I'd still like to see more.

-I don't see the big deal with the SD look. The faces themselves actually look serious, so stop acting like it's Wind Waker (yeah, I'm exaggerating here, but still). For so long, we've only had the in-game portraits and teeny little sprites to get a grasp on what these characters are supposed to look like, and based on what I've seen they look great. Heck, some characters from the original had a different look for their map, battle, AND portrait (like Rosa, who had white, brown, and light green hair respectively IIRC).

--This also means I can finally figure out what some of the more detailed/ambiguous characters, like Dr. Lugae in particular, are supposed to look like.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Ami Tajiri said:
Actually, he did in the original as well. If you watch the ending, he has his helmet off with his blond tresses flowing in the breeze. (God, why do I remember these things?)
CecilandRosaProfiles.jpg
Awesome scans man.
My anticipation for this just tripled. :multi_co: :multi_co: :multi_co:

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Loopz said:
Awesome scans man.
My anticipation for this just tripled. :multi_co: :multi_co: :multi_co:

Yea. That's some awesome artwork. I can see this game sucking up a lot of my free time when I get it.

I wonder if the pink tails/adamant armor will make the transition to the port? Glad to hear Square is doing this in-house, as you were saying in the other thread. It kinda bothers me when they hand off one of their most important titles to another dev, like they did with FF IV Advance -- like they were too busy or couldn't be bothered to do it themselves.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Looks gorgeous.

The in-game sprites are working really well.

I liked them well enough in III but this time around they look much more polished.

It's kind of a small thing, but Dark Knight Cecil flipping his head armor up during conversations is a nice little touch.

I never would have thought I'd be one for seeing 2D games being remade into 3D, but I think SE is making me eat my words with these versions of FF.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'm glad I met someone else who thought Harvey is the worst last name in the cosmos. Not fair, when Cecil's such a cool character to me.
ScreenShots.jpg

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Okay, I admit it, I'm excited to play this again. Hope they don't screw with the music. That music in this game is to DIE for. Best Final Fantasy made.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I like the super-deformed look, but the "hero" 3D model for Cecil looks a bit too womanish...

cecilulu.jpg

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Zenimus said:
I like the super-deformed look, but the "hero" 3D model for Cecil looks a bit too womanish...

cecilulu.jpg
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this picture... (Either way, it's hilarious.)
He is pretty effeminate, but then again, I think effeminate men are hot.
DarkCecilandKainProfiles.jpg

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I haven't used the word "stoked" in a long, long time. But I'm pretty sure I'm stoked.:D

GunDream

Zero's Secretary
I'm so excited about this... FFIV is my favorite FF. I'm going to definitely get this as soon as it's out!

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Ami Tajiri said:
Here we go again:
ArtanComparison.jpg
That image of Cecil and Kain on the deck of the airship battling those monsters is...
Bad. Ass.

I'm going to import this gem, it'll keep my reading/listening skills frosty over the winter break.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Final Fantasy IV DS Official Website
I found this awesome link to the Japanese website for FFIV. It's got some cool looking wallpapers and a description of the story and characters. It was nice, because I finally got to see how characters like Edge and Palom & Porom look in the new game. It's worth a look, even if it takes a little time to load.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Man as much fun as I am having with FF3 DS this looks to top it in every way! Cant wait.

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
Ami Tajiri said:
Final Fantasy IV DS Official Website
I found this awesome link to the Japanese website for FFIV. It's got some cool looking wallpapers and a description of the story and characters. It was nice, because I finally got to see how characters like Edge and Palom & Porom look in the new game. It's worth a look, even if it takes a little time to load.
Man, I'm late to this party but FF4 was my favorite game EVER.

Yes, Harvey is not what I had in mind as Cecil's surname.

I liked Edward better than Gilbart. (Looks dumb with that little derby thing he's wearing in the wallpaper section.)

In this version's concept art they make Kain look like Deflater Mouse from The Tick.

Golbez reminds me of Nightmare from Soul Calibur.

But still...this game looks awesome and hope Chrono Trigger will one day get the same treatment as well.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Jesus this looks fucking awesome. When oh when is this amazing game coming out already?

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
Its nice but I don't like that the players seem so void of life durring cutscenes while trying to push emotions like you would find in the ps2 games. It just comes off boring to me (yeah im the same prick on neogaf that said that). I wish they give them a little more expressions or animation or even a freaking mouth insted of just swaping out mouth textures to simulate talking.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
it amazes me how SE is able to produce cutscenes of that quality on the DS alone. simply amazing.

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
I'm eating my previous words.

I want to buy this.

Take my money, Square-Enix!

EDIT: Looks like the release date is 12/20 for Japan...that brings hope for a fairly quick localization to the U.S., I hope.

Last edited:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
That trailer is pretty fucking amazing.
I need something to keep my reading skills warm over winter anyway.
Import here I come.
I need this and DQIV something awful.