Final Fantasy CC Rings of Fate DS

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I am guessing no one picked this up, as $40 it way too much for a DS game. I really liked the Gamecube version (minus the shitty GBA connection) and think the DS game looks pretty good.

So anyone grab this?

I may break down and grab this and the new Ninja Gaiden DS game, if I find $80 worth of change in the couch cushions.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I could pick one up if I felt a bit freer about using my credit, but let's face it, money is money, even if it in the form of credit. I am hesitant about paying $40 for anything. $35 is the flashpoint at which my wallet closes.

Plus I know practically nothing about this game.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
GAH! I came in here looking for info... echoing pretty much the exact same thoughts as you both. $40 is nuts for a DS game, looks fun, though. Have a little cash to blow since I finally sold off my extra BD player.

I could do with a used copy of this, maybe, save $10 after Edge card. Christ, I can't believe I said that, I sound like a GS corporate or something.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I want to try this also.

The EGM guys said the single player is okay but the Multi is a blast. The problem with that is you cant use the Online WiFi for MP. Only for trading items. :(

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
jro said:
GAH! I came in here looking for info... echoing pretty much the exact same thoughts as you both. $40 is nuts for a DS game, looks fun, though. Have a little cash to blow since I finally sold off my extra BD player.

I could do with a used copy of this, maybe, save $10 after Edge card. Christ, I can't believe I said that, I sound like a GS corporate or something.

:tickled: Sorry.

I went ahead and picked up two copies, one for me and one for my wife.

I put about an hour into the single player and it is pretty good. It looks, sounds and plays really well. The only problem I encounter is that directional movement can suck sometimes because of the d-pad but nothing worse than any other game.

I have put several hours into the multiplayer and that is a blast. Your single player and your multiplayer files are different, so you can have a single player game when there is no one to play with and then jump into a multiplayer game when you have another player. Single player and multiplayer games do not connect in any way.

Multiplayer seems to be just like the single player with less story. You start off by creating a character (picking the class you want) and then one player creates a party, the other player(s) up to three more, then join the party. This works great and only takes a few seconds to boot up. Very impressive. There can be lag during game play from time to time but it really didn't bother me.

Initially you only have the main town (shops for potions, weapons ect) open and one level. As you beat a level (beat the boss) more options open and a new level opens. The levels vary in size and there are extra things you can do in each level or you can just take a quicker path to the boss. Player can explore each floor alone but can't leave that floor until all players meet up at that door. There is a radar/map in this game with dots that represent each character, so it is easy to meet up. Each character class has different abilities and those come in to play for puzzle solving.

After you beat a boss or two (I don't remember) you can start taking on King's Quests by talking to him in the castle. These are real quick quests that are usually timed and are a great way to make money, find potions and level up.

Game play is pretty standard for this type of game. Jump Button, Attack Button and then your potions are on the bottom screen. You can just tap on the one you want and hold the X button and d-pad to drag it to where you want it. (A circle pops up on the top screen, so you can place the spell where ever you want). You get healing potions/spells as well as attack spells that come in very handy.

Boss fights are really cool but have been pretty easy so far. I have heard when you beat the game in multiplayer, you can go back on hard and then very hard.

I really can't recommend this game for single player because of the $40 price point. However, if you have friends to play the game with it is very fun. I still think $40 is crazy for a DS game but my wife and I really enjoyed FFCC for the GC except for the GBA shit/cup carrier and thankfully this game doesn't have that.

From the looks of it, you can have lots of differnt characters for multi-player, in case you plan on playing different games with different people.

If you have any questions, let me know and I will try to answer them.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
How hard is it to stack spells in the 1P game? Most of the reviews seemed to agree that that is the one hardest aspect of playing by yourself, which is what I would be doing exclusively (my wife is not into RPGs whatsoever).

I assume I would just save spells to open doors and such, but I'm still curious.

Actually leaning toward picking this up pretty strongly at this point, since these days pretty much the only systems I still care to play are the DS, the PSP, and the good ol' 360, and there ain't jack coming out on either of the other two for a while.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
jro said:
How hard is it to stack spells in the 1P game? Most of the reviews seemed to agree that that is the one hardest aspect of playing by yourself, which is what I would be doing exclusively (my wife is not into RPGs whatsoever).

I assume I would just save spells to open doors and such, but I'm still curious.

Actually leaning toward picking this up pretty strongly at this point, since these days pretty much the only systems I still care to play are the DS, the PSP, and the good ol' 360, and there ain't jack coming out on either of the other two for a while.

As you level up, play more levels and gain more money, you can buy extra pockets for each spell. Most of the spells start with the ability to hold ten but I have already upgraded most of those anywhere from one to four more by buying extra pockets. The enemies drop a ton of spells so I have got to the point where I rarely buy potions because I end up not being able to carry all of the ones dropped by the enemies.

There are some doors that require that you open them by using spells or dropping a spell (dropping it to the ground and picking it up and then placing it) into a container but those have been really easy so far. Of course I am playing with someone who is carrying an equal number of spells, so that helps. In my hour of one player, I haven't ran into any trouble.

As for combat, I rarely use the spells because I prefer doing the hand combat using my sword. I will occasionaly zap a monster with a fire or ice spell but I like the sword attacks. Even the four or five bosses I have beat so far, I have mainly just used my sword. My wife uses a bow but it doesn't do nearly the amount of damage that the sword does. You can hurt each other but the damage per hit is really low. (Thank God because my wife has horrible aim)

Another option for you is that you can play the multi-player mode by yourself. There is a "solo" option for multiplayer that puts you with computer helper(s). I have seen and read about this option but haven't used it. This apparently is a pretty fun way to play as a party without any human players.

This is a quality game, it is just hard to say that a DS game is worth $35 or $40. I do think you would have a lot of fun with it though. And since the single player is different than they multiplayer, there is always the option to do the multiplayer at a latter date. This plays similar to Gauntlet and that is why it is easy to get my wife to play it.

EDIT: I will say the one nice thing about multiplayer is that your partner can bring you back to life with a spell. However in the single player mode there are check points (crystals) you can save at along the way in each level. In multiplayer you can only refill your health at these crystals and save at the world map. So in multiplayer if you get to a boss that you can't beat and you are out of potions, you pretty much have to go back to the town and restock on everything and then start the level over.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I didn't realize there were two separate modes, seemed like all the reviews were basically saying that even if you play by yourself, you should play the multiplayer with bots in order to get the closest approximation of what the devs meant for the game to be played as...

If you play the single-player quest mode, are you really just running around all by yourself? That seems like it would make the game run better, I guess. Diablo in 1P mode, I suppose.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
jro said:
I didn't realize there were two separate modes, seemed like all the reviews were basically saying that even if you play by yourself, you should play the multiplayer with bots in order to get the closest approximation of what the devs meant for the game to be played as...

If you play the single-player quest mode, are you really just running around all by yourself? That seems like it would make the game run better, I guess. Diablo in 1P mode, I suppose.

Sorry I didn't answer your stacking question above, I really don't have an answer since I haven't had to mess with that.

There is the single player story mode, multiplayer mode for up to four players and then a multiplayer "solo" mode with bots.

In the single player story mode, you are by yourself but it works fine. Single player is a lot about hack and slash and then a little multi-tasking with the spells. Since it is all real time, you have more to deal with but it is fun. Multiplayer allows someone to take care of the spells while the other people do more of the hack and slash combat.

I am going to play through the single player story mode, while I am playing through the multiplayer mode. I guess the single player has a new game plus and a new game plus, plus, so this game does offer a lot, which is good since it is $40.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Picked this up on my lunch break today, figured that this is the type of game that I tend to get sucked into pretty good, which in turn, I'm willing to over-pay for... :annoyed: :emb: :annoyed:

Looking forward to trying it out tonight.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
jro said:
Picked this up on my lunch break today, figured that this is the type of game that I tend to get sucked into pretty good, which in turn, I'm willing to over-pay for... :annoyed: :emb: :annoyed:

Looking forward to trying it out tonight.

Cool. I really like this game but I am mainly just playing the multiplayer right now. I do intend to spend more time on the single player mode this week.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I started playing a game in each mode last night- but right before I could save my game in "Play by yourself" multi, I thought I had it paused (surprise!), and of course, I got killed. Yeppers.

So I have a save game in quest mode, think I'll play that pretty much exclusively, though I may start a game in multi again just to see how the AI is, see if I like that mode at all.

Definitely enjoying it so far, there's certainly something to be said for any game that gets the formula so right... Also have to compliment the production values. Between this and Ninja Gaiden DS, I think the bar is going up for DS titles.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Gameoz said:
Cool. I really like this game but I am mainly just playing the multiplayer right now. I do intend to spend more time on the single player mode this week.

When the day comes ... and we know it will :p .... I want one of those copies when you sell them so PM me and I will have money ready immediately.

Phillip

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Bulletnyourass said:
When the day comes ... and we know it will :p .... I want one of those copies when you sell them so PM me and I will have money ready immediately.

Phillip

:tickled: Man, you know me too well. Actually if my wife wasn't totally into the multi-player mode, I probably would have sold this off by now. It is actually a very good game but I tend to sell off stuff pretty quick. (as you know)

However, with her liking this, I will probably be keeping it for a while. I'll let you know if I see any deals on a copy.:mr_t: