Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Remake PSP

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Just got this a few hours ago.

A few impressions...

1) New CG intro isn't all that IMO. Nothing to get excited about.

2) Game itself looks freakin nice on the PSP screen, and the text (I'm playing in Japanese with kanji enabled) is super clear and really easy to read.

3) English language is selectable right off the bat. Gave it a quick try to check. You can switch between languages (JPN <> ENG) at any point from the config menu.

4) Music and general sound quality seem top end too.

hanafuda

@ Joe

Yeah, that's the very one.

@ BIG

Just in case you need proof:

FF1A.jpg

FF1B.jpg

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
hanafudaX said:
@ Joe

Yeah, that's the very one.

@ BIG

Just in case you need proof:

FF1A.jpg

FF1B.jpg

You cool with me posting thoes shots on another forum? I made a topic on ign stating the game might support english based off the recent shots s-e sent out yesterday.

Also I so can't wait for my copy to show up next week (i ordered it on tuesday from play-asia). I've been playing the GBA remake on my psp and it sucks the audio kind of meh, should be wicked playing this remake (I never beat FFI).

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Square should have completely revamped the storyline as well.
Because I'm certain it must be completely dated by now.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
LoneSage said:
Square should have completely revamped the storyline as well.
Because I'm certain it must be completely dated by now.

They should have done Voice Overs because there is not a whole lot of text in the first game :P

hanafuda

subbie said:
You cool with me posting thoes shots on another forum? I made a topic on ign stating the game might support english based off the recent shots s-e sent out yesterday.

Yeah, no problem.

Put about 2 hours into this now, and love it. Just really nice to play. Sure, it is just a remake, but the production values are superb.

If you get it, be sure to play with a nice pair of earphones/headphones as the music is sweet.

As for loading, there really isn't much, but you will notice a delay of a second or two when going to or from the menu screen some times.

subbie

Baseball Star Hitter
hanafudaX said:
Yeah, no problem.

Put about 2 hours into this now, and love it. Just really nice to play. Sure, it is just a remake, but the production values are superb.

If you get it, be sure to play with a nice pair of earphones/headphones as the music is sweet.

As for loading, there really isn't much, but you will notice a delay of a second or two when going to or from the menu screen some times.

wicked, I cant wait till my copy shows up in a week or two.

I might very well buy the jpn ver of Final Fantasy II because of this (yet to play 2 but most hate it).

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
Is there anything new in the gameplay or story?

Or is it only graphics and sound enhanced?

EDIT: Just watched that youtube video. No enemy sprite animations? That's cheap.

Last edited:

BIG

sony fanboy
Played it for about 15 mins just now, and all I can say is wow.

I really like the way everything is cleaned up. Everything look really nice on the PSP screen.

Brings back fond memories of the yesteryears..

Hanafuda - Thanks for bringing up the language option. Otherwise, I might 've let it slip by..lol

B-

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
BIG said:
Played it for about 15 mins just now, and all I can say is wow.

I really like the way everything is cleaned up. Everything look really nice on the PSP screen.

Brings back fond memories of the yesteryears..

Hanafuda - Thanks for bringing up the language option. Otherwise, I might 've let it slip by..lol

B-

So it's better than GBA version?

BIG

sony fanboy
Liquid Snake said:
So it's better than GBA version?

Yep.

It seems like everything has been redone. The game is much, much cleaner than its GBA counterpart.

The music is awesome, too.

B-

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
BIG said:
Yep.

It seems like everything has been redone. The game is much, much cleaner than its GBA counterpart.

The music is awesome, too.

B-

and it's not based on PS1/Wonderswan versions, right?

If so then I'll definitely get PSP FF1&2 :drool:

BIG

sony fanboy
Liquid Snake said:
and it's not based on PS1/Wonderswan versions, right?

If so then I'll definitely get PSP FF1&2 :drool:

No.

It's definitely the GBA version.

B-

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I'm 2 and half hours into it and I really don't like the sprites. I think the GBA remake was much better looking. There is something very strange and wierd about it... something wrong with sprites that look so clean and don't animate.

If you like the sprites you will love the remake. The balance and leveling up feels just like the GBA version, it's easier than easy.

I'm playing through the NES one also ... takes 4 hours of grinding before you can even start! I wish this included the NES one (time to throw an emulator on my PSP!)

Overall the FF PSP remake is OK, but I prefer the GBA one.

Am I the only one that thinks the sprites look strange?

What's funny is that I'm complaining about it, but I'm definately going to enjoy playing it through.

BIG

sony fanboy
The sprites look fine to me.

Maybe you just aren't used to seeing hi-res 2-D sprites in such context.

lol

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
BIG said:
The sprites look fine to me.

Maybe you just aren't used to seeing hi-res 2-D sprites in such context.

lol

That's probably true. The sprites aren't animated at all, which is how the orginal was, but they could have added a bit of movement to them. Something about the graphics bothers me.

I have to say though... I'm still playing it, so I must like it.

hanafuda

RBjakeSpecial said:
That's probably true. The sprites aren't animated at all, which is how the orginal was, but they could have added a bit of movement to them. Something about the graphics bothers me.

I have to say though... I'm still playing it, so I must like it.

I have to agree with BIG on this one, as I love the visuals and the music. I wasn't planning on picking up the FFII remake prior to getting this, but after playing this, I'm definitely getting the next one.

May is going to be a major FF month, what with Tactics just a couple of weeks away.

The only gripe I have with this so far is that the random encounters are really extreme sometimes. Quite often you can't even walk for a second (literally) between encounters.

I'm off to kick some vampire ass...

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Yeah I enjoyed it for a few hours but after that I kinda got sick of it. For some reason I'd still rather play it on my GBA for some reason.