• KOF 98

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Super Turbo

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
and I could go on with posting the music for Urien, Akuma, Makoto, etc. The music, for the most part, is really good. It has a lot of drum n bass influence on it. I like heavy metal guitars as much as the next guy, but good music is still good music, bro.

Maybe I didn't make my point clear. ( sorry! :p )

I don't think 3S music to be terrible. It's not great either.
It simply doesn't fit the ambiance and gets boring very fast.

In the other hand, 98 tunes ( because this poll is about that game ) pumps me up into action
in every single combat.

It's not bad music, it simply doesn't fit. Doesn't make it bad, but I found that that comment coming
from you, was a bit of sacrilege! ;)

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Other personal favourite's from the Street Fighter III 3rd Strike OST includes...

Gill's Psyche-Out soundtrack has to be my favourite boss music ever in a video game.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
The only problem with SSF2X, is that in essence, it's SF2 - which I now find a real bore to play. It's too barebones in the system dept for my liking nowadays. It's obviously the perfect execution of 'SF2', but I just don't enjoy playing at at all. I hear a small groan in my head, pretty much no matter which character my opponent picks: EHonda *groan*... Blanka *groan*... Zangief *groan* etc.

In terms of moves and the system, I just don't feel that there's enough to work with vs my enjoyment. I'm starting to feel that way about the Alpha series too now, unfortunately, although I still enjoy Alpha 3 (still feels more fresh).

I too, still think 3S is the best 2D fighter ever created. MOTW is good, but it never clicked with me like 3S did. Although, SFIII in general did take a lot of time to 'get', but I love the game. For many reason. In particular, the fact that it doesn't matter how much time I spend with it, I always feel like there's more to learn. I also believe 3S is great at making a better player out of you. You have to be really switched on to play it competently.

Unlike many, I like the SFIII characters too. All the returning characters play the best they ever have imo, esp. Chun Li. I would have killed for SFIII iterations of Guile & Sagat though.

-

TL;DR: I voted 98 > ST. 98 isn't my fave KOF, but I enjoy it a helluva lot more than Street Fighter 2...

ESP_SVT

New Challenger
ST is the best fighting game ever, KOF '98 is a close 2nd. Super Turbo/2X set the standard. Straightforward gameplay, every character is viable (though some require more execution or mind games), and every hit counts. KOF '98 is SNK's magnum opus...a brilliant fighting game in it's own right, but a bit harder to master than ST. Both are insanely fun and stand the test of time.

Also, CPS2/MVS > GGPO/emulation/ports

Strange

War Room Troll
Also, CPS2/MVS > GGPO/emulation/ports

I agree from a performance standpoint... STILL, you can't deny the convenience and practical use of online gaming, and it will evolve for the better. Emulation, net code, and internet infrastructure will always be getting better and the future for relevant classic fighting games is online... Things Change

Before you know it SNK Playmore will unleash KOF98UM Final Edition on the next generation consoles with incredible net code and a great lobby system. And it will seem absurd to only play KOF98 at home on the Neo Geo, by ourselves most of the time.

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
Before you know it SNK Playmore will unleash KOF98UM Final Edition on the next generation consoles with incredible net code and a great lobby system. And it will seem absurd to only play KOF98 at home on the Neo Geo, by ourselves most of the time.
LOL comon now... incredible netcode...hahahah....snk playmore...hahahaha

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Even if you have zero lag, nothing beats playing on a cab. Online you have less intimidation, less stress, you don't have to worry about joystick reading (hearing or watching) it's like a sporting environment that you take all the pressure out of. I love online, but playing someone who's not even in the room does kinda water down the experience a bit.

The plus is the competition online, but a good chunk of competitive players who get ready for tourneys stay away from online like the plague cause it changes the variables no matter how good a connection is. If you want to be razor sharp at a game, online is not the place to be. It's just fun.

Strange

War Room Troll
Hey, we have to be hopeful with SNK Playmore. 98 Final Edition's online is supposed to be flawless on the Nesica x Live arcade platform in Japan. Of course their internet over there is ridiculously fast. With proper Third Party collaboration (Iron Galaxy anyone?) 98 Final Edition would be awesome on the new consoles... but yeah let's forget about those online monstrosities on the 360.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hey, we have to be hopeful with SNK Playmore. 98 Final Edition's online is supposed to be flawless on the Nesica x Live arcade platform in Japan. Of course their internet over there is ridiculously fast. With proper Third Party collaboration (Iron Galaxy anyone?) 98 Final Edition would be awesome on the new consoles... but yeah let's forget about those online monstrosities on the 360.

I really couldn't give a shit about online play. That shit is for bums.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Deciding between Super Turbo and KoF98 is impossible.

Completely different worlds, no, galaxies.

I also don't like online gaming, too many idiots out there.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
There is so much lost battling online.

I'll take the 3-5 days a year (if that) that I get to play fighting games face-to-face over endless XBL matches.

I enjoy every aspect: trash talk, social, strategy discussion, atmosphere.

You can never recreate the feel of the arcade or a bunch of friends killing each other and trying to knock off the top dog.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
There is so much lost battling online.

I'll take the 3-5 days a year (if that) that I get to play fighting games face-to-face over endless XBL matches.
This.

I really tried to get on board with online vs when SF4 hit homes back in '09. It was fine, up until aggravated losers kept pulling the plug on the match if things didn't go their way. I went from having a respectable amount of GP (BP?) to nearly fuck all in several rage quits. Usually Gouki/Akuma players. Figures I guess.

Scumbags.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
This.

I really tried to get on board with online vs when SF4 hit homes back in '09. It was fine, up until aggravated losers kept pulling the plug on the match if things didn't go their way. I went from having a respectable amount of GP (BP?) to nearly fuck all in several rage quits. Usually Gouki/Akuma players. Figures I guess.

Scumbags.

Rage-quitting is one of the main reasons I don't really play online fighters anymore. Other reasons being lack of consistent competition and lag/connection problems.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It's been awhile since I've gotten on XBL for fighting games, but it's really not so bad. I mean, yeah, if your only source of competition is always hitting random matches, then you'll probably have a shitty experience 60% of the time. The goal is to cultivate a friends list of good players you come across. If somebody rage quits, then you just move on. It happens. If somebody sends you shitty messages, then save them and upload them to Facebook or something. Have fun with them. I played a lot in 2008-2011 and have at least 30 people on my list that I met from various games. If I log on and want to go a few rounds, I usually have a few people willing to throw down. No big deal. Sometimes I'll throw fight request on and see who comes my way.

I don't think it's a substitute for face-to-face gaming, but it can still be a lot of fun.

Strange

War Room Troll
Online fighting games are here to stay, and the experience is only going to get more and more refined as time moves on. That's not to say local play for fighting games is irrelevant anymore, its by far the premier way for hardcore tournament play. It's just not the only game in town anymore, and for most of us who aren't professional street fighters online absolutely is a heck of a lot of fun.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Online fighting games are here to stay, and the experience is only going to get more and more refined as time moves on. That's not to say local play for fighting games is irrelevant anymore, its by far the premier way for hardcore tournament play. It's just not the only game in town anymore, and for most of us who aren't professional street fighters online absolutely is a heck of a lot of fun.

Please stop posting here.