FFXI Online 360 Beta

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Anyone playing this?

I got it a couple of days back to see if its much different from the PC version, took about 3 hours from inserting the disk to actually getting to play, ages to sign up, ages to download, ages to update, ages to install. Takes up about 5GB on the harddrive.

This disk is on the latest OXM magazine btw, should be the same in the US aswell.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I used to play the PS2 version, but got sick of the farming and lvling grind. I'm thinking of going back when the 360 version comes out and the expansion comes out, but I doubt I will.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
GregN. said:
I used to play the PS2 version, but got sick of the farming and lvling grind. I'm thinking of going back when the 360 version comes out and the expansion comes out, but I doubt I will.

The inflation is just fucking insane now.

It happened right after Christmas, when all of the gil-selling sites (*cough* IGE *cough*) had major sales on their stock.

It's gone down a little since then, but for the most part, it doesn't look like things will be getting back to normal anytime soon.

We're at the point now that a new player would pretty much have to buy gil online in order to stay up-to-date with the best equipment and food.

I honestly wouldn't blame them either, because nobody should have to farm Silk Thread for literal months to afford an Ochiudo's Kote at 34 (which is at about 8-10 million on Bismarck last time I checked) or to keep themselves stocked with Meat Mithkabobs (going for 10k a stack.)

I don't know though... despite my bitching, I'm still playing.

I did want to take BST all the way, but thanks to the new mob respawing rules, their ability to solo has been seriously nerfed (thanks SE...), so I sold all my stuff and started leveling my Galka mule as a Monk.

The expansion seems really interesting and hopefully the inflation will start to stabilize soon [O.Kote and Brown Belt are coming up for me, so I pray it does], but either way, I'll probably still keep on playing despite all the things wrong with the game and its players.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
i cancelled my pc content id when my laptop crashed a few weeks ago, and i'm not sure i'll be coming back. although i probably should sell off all my gear and donate it to the linkshell, that would require a reinstall etc. on my new computer which i'm not up for. maybe i'll ask neojedi to log on to my account :cool:

RXBANDIT

Zero's Secretary
kafuin_gaira said:
i cancelled my pc content id when my laptop crashed a few weeks ago, and i'm not sure i'll be coming back. although i probably should sell off all my gear and donate it to the linkshell, that would require a reinstall etc. on my new computer which i'm not up for. maybe i'll ask neojedi to log on to my account :cool:

hey id be more than willing to buy your gill and items if possible. Not sure how id transfer that to my charecter tho. being a mere lv1 red mage sucks i get my arse kicked lol

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I'm up and running finally.

Shoot me a message if you want to party up.

Edit: Played for three and a half hours and only made it to level three?!

Oh boy, I can see I'm in it for the long haul. Good thing this bad bear is free for another month and a half or so; it would be most unfortunate if I couldn't transfer my character after spending that time. Hopefully, there'll be some achievement points for just completing the sign up process, damn thing took almost two hours. Fun game considering it's my first mmorpg. What would be the best way to earn gil here in san'doria (sp?)? Fishing? Leather making? I can fish all day in Animal Crossing, I wonder if it's any different here?

Last edited:

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
Magician said:
I'm up and running finally.

Shoot me a message if you want to party up.

Edit: Played for three and a half hours and only made it to level three?!

Oh boy, I can see I'm in it for the long haul. Good thing this bad bear is free for another month and a half or so; it would be most unfortunate if I couldn't transfer my character after spending that time. Hopefully, there'll be some achievement points for just completing the sign up process, damn thing took almost two hours. Fun game considering it's my first mmorpg. What would be the best way to earn gil here in san'doria (sp?)? Fishing? Leather making? I can fish all day in Animal Crossing, I wonder if it's any different here?

first, and most important. get signet from a gate guard. then, in sandy, kill bats and rabbits right outside the gates and keep all the crystals, bat wings, and rabbit hides you get. don't sell any to vendors. keep everything until you have a stack of 12 and put it up for sale on the auction house.

you'll need to do quite a bit of research for this game. i'd recommend ffxi.somepage.com or ffxi.allakhazam.com for starters.

ask away if you have more questions, i still remember a ton even though i don't play any more.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Magician said:
Oh boy, I can see I'm in it for the long haul. Good thing this bad bear is free for another month and a half or so; it would be most unfortunate if I couldn't transfer my character after spending that time.

Although party invites depend largely on your job (BRD's get a free ride while DRG's get the shaft), it takes your average player a year of play to get his/her first job to level 75.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I have already started, but I have to wait to be consistantly on, though. I'm hoping my new broadband hookup arrives this week, but I'm unsure on average wait time on it.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
kafuin_gaira said:
first, and most important. get signet from a gate guard. then, in sandy, kill bats and rabbits right outside the gates and keep all the crystals, bat wings, and rabbit hides you get. don't sell any to vendors. keep everything until you have a stack of 12 and put it up for sale on the auction house.

you'll need to do quite a bit of research for this game. i'd recommend ffxi.somepage.com or ffxi.allakhazam.com for starters.

ask away if you have more questions, i still remember a ton even though i don't play any more.

Thanks for the links.

I did a little online research when it came to my character creation at least. Tarutaru, Black mage with intentions of either white mage or red mage subjob, when the time comes. A rotation of those three classes when I want to level up.

Do I set the price for the stacks of items in the auction house or is there a preset auction price for all items, individual and stacks?

K'99

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
I recently cancelled my account also, but Im wanting to try the beta version for 360. Where did you get it?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
You can get it from February's OXM magazine. It's the one with the Ghost Recon guy on it. It's a two disk special. One of the disks is a demo disk made for both Xbox and 360, with different stuff on it depending on which system you run it on.

The other is the FFXI beta disk.

This issue is currently on store shelves at News stores or Game stores that carry OXM.

Be warned, since this beta has to be the easiest beta I've seen, in terms of getting access to, be prepared to deal with people who never ever played an MMORPG before. Online, it's not so bad; but you may want to avoid the forums as you deal with very immature kids. It's fine to go on the PC forums and ask questions, just don't say you're on a 360 playing it. Them kids have given 360 users a bad name and as usual with people these days; many in the other groups have generalized that all people playing on 360 are bad because of the loud few problem people. Just be warned.

That's why very limited access beta (like the usual) is better because it filters out the lesser desirable people that you'd play online with.

Then again, anybody who's played Guild Wars (including myself) will recognize that greater or easier access often trades off for a lesser quality forum community.

Last edited:

Kagutsuchi00

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Can you hook up your keyboard and mouse to the 360 to play FFXI?

If you can I am starting right away!

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Keyboard yes. Actually, USB keyboards are supported native with the system, and FFXI doesn't do anything specific to disallow it. I think only the numeric keypad is not supported unless the numlock is on, but that's it.

Mouse, I don't think is supported. Fortunately, this is FFXI (which is designed with the controller in mind) so you'll be using the controller, anyway. Most of the people, I know, who play the PC version, buy a console-like controller to control their character and use a controller+keyboard setup.

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Im using a WiFi Keyboard setup, works the same as a PC any USB keyboard that doesn't require drivers to be installed will work fine, so mine was all good except for the obvious multi media functions dont work.

Im now a lvl 7 half way to lvl 8 Red Mage, played it a bit yesterday and made about 750 gil just from walking to the auction house, buying an item, and selling it for 135 more than I paid to the shop :chimp: It was a high end scroll that obviously nobody could use, there was 10 on there for cheap because no-obne was the level to use them, but they sell for 485 in the shop, so I bought them all for 320-400 each walked over and sold them to the shop :)

Bought some nice armor, just need to get to level 8 so I can buy a Tunic and the RDM Boots, all good 900exp to go :emb:

Im a Tarutaru Red Mage called Olly in Windhurst maybe on server Hydra? possibly..

Olly.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Average Joe said:
I have a friend who's been playing FFXI since the launch, and his sentiments about the economy are basically the same. Apparently its gotten absurdly bad on his server ot the point of where the only way for him to purchase new equipment would be to sell the really nice stuff he already has, or to buy Gil online.

Meanwhile, Blizzard just adds 2 new servers on a near weekly basis.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Doesn't matter to me. As long as Blizzard keeps Earthen Ring and it doesn't go to heck, I'm fine.

All I can say is, my new broadband can't come soon enough. Still waiting..........

pyrokilla

Vice's grappling partner...naked,
Hey guys , I'm on VALFORE server , drop me a line sometime :) Mabey I'll give ya a power leveling :)

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I'm on as Furrivaser. Obviously a Mithra, though. Of course, Neo-geo.com's resident fox boy will be a furball.