Favorite Sound Effect

Lucent Beam

Armored Scrum Object
So I was playing Sonic Pocket Adventure on NGPC & I was underwater, and for some reason I half-expected the REAL sound effect from Sonic 2/3 when you gulp a bubble, but of course it wasn't there.

Anyway, that got me thinking, as lame as it sounds, that bubble-gulp from Sonic is probably my most favorite video game sound effect. I just have always loved it.
Anyone else have a totally random favorite sound effect?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
One of my favorite sound effects (sorry, I don't know the exact name) is when you get that "whoosh" sound when you select a mission on Pilotwings for SNES.

That game totally kicks ass.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Replaying Earthbound brought back a TON of favorites I had long since forgotton:

-The muffled "bem" noise when your character gets hit.
-The crude (yet very effective, if not creative) pseudo 8-bit sound effects from Ness' "Rockin", Poo's "Starstorm", and Paula's various PSI attacks.
-The 9-year-old-boy-esque "burp" from the Stinky Little Pile.
-The 40-something-barfly-esque "belch" from, well, Master Belch.
-Last, and my favorite from any game ever, is the SMAAAAAAAAAAASH hit noise. Awesome to hear that in the midst of battle.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I like it when people are making fighting sound effects and when they throw a fake punch they yell out 'douche'. Why do people use sound effects when talking?:oh_no:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Some of these aren't just sound effects, but they're so short that can't really be called pieces of music either...

Switching weapons in any ThunderForce game.
The jingle of collecting rings in old Sonic games.
Ducking into a pipe in SMB.
The Price Is Right's 'Losing Horns.'
The old fierce hit sounds from SFII.
Strider's sword.
The little synth riff when you beat a level in Last Resort.
Powering up your bat in Baseball Stars 2.
The little sound of moving the glove cursor around in classic Final Fantasy games.
The falling barrels of apples after being sliced in half in Samurai Shodown.
The 'racquetball hitting concrete after being shot out of a cannon' effect from AoF.

Too many great little touches to mention...sound is so important to games.

PUNJABEE

Banned
First and foremost... farts. The whole "frrrrnt" sound. Magical.

Secondly, a foghorn. Usually in cartoons, its used when something is really stinky, like an armpit or something. You just here 'fuuuuuuuu uhhhhrhrhrrrr" Fantastic.

Lucent Beam

Armored Scrum Object
Shiggityputz said:
First and foremost... farts. The whole "frrrrnt" sound. Magical.

Secondly, a foghorn. Usually in cartoons, its used when something is really stinky, like an armpit or something. You just here 'fuuuuuuuu uhhhhrhrhrrrr" Fantastic.

Oh man, the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade game for Sega Genesis had some excellent fart-squelching noises (I think that it was meant to be things falling from the ceiling or whatever). My sisters and I used to fool around with that all the time.
Also the "You chose poorly!" clip from when you pick the wrong grail. God, we must have been annoying children hitting that over and over on sound test.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Shiggityputz said:

Ahhhhh, Ren & Stimpy at its best.

PUNJABEE

Banned
Kiel said:
Ahhhhh, Ren & Stimpy at its best.

Heh, I was actually thinking about the BeetleJuice saturday morning cartoon, but the Ren & Stimpy one works just fine:tickled:

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Loopz said:
The old fierce hit sounds from SFII.

Definitely, which is why I never liked the Super SF games.

Also:

-Baseball Stars 2 music when playing the Fighting League. On a nice stereo setup, listening to the drums go from one speaker to the next. Awesome.
-Smackdown HCTP Goldberg spear/roundhouse kick.
-Super Punch Out super rapid punch when flashing red.
-Hitting the post in the first NHL Hockey for Genesis
-Melee in Halo 2 with shotgun (almost TOO satisfying)
-Death sounds villagers make when snapping their necks with Hunk in RE4
-Alert sounds by enemy guards in Metal Gear Solid
-Water sounds when swimming in Super Mario 64

PUNJABEE

Banned
Lucent Beam said:
Oh man, the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade game for Sega Genesis had some excellent fart-squelching noises (I think that it was meant to be things falling from the ceiling or whatever). My sisters and I used to fool around with that all the time.
Also the "You chose poorly!" clip from when you pick the wrong grail. God, we must have been annoying children hitting that over and over on sound test.

Speaking of Indy movies.. The Indiana Jones PUNCH sound. HELL YEAH. My friend and I labled that sound the "All Purpose Impact Sound". That perfect "PSSSH" sound you hear when Indy punches someone. That is the PERFECT punch sound.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The .44 mag gunshot from the Dirty Harry movies is my favorite sound effect of all time.

The shotgun blast and cock from the DOOM games are a close 2nd.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Talking in Mike Tyson PunchOut!!

It's all blah,blah,blah to me :lolz:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
getting hit in zelda link to the past. that little bew or whatever sound link makes.

grown up link in ocarina of time

HAOSHOKOKEN! whne done by takuma

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
The bubble-gulp sound effect in Sonic the Hedgehog 1&2 were cool.

I like in Wind Waker when Link is inside a barrel and says waaaaaaaaaaah!!! after being shot from a catapult on the pirate ship. lol :lolz:

Last edited:

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Lucent Beam said:
So I was playing Sonic Pocket Adventure on NGPC & I was underwater, and for some reason I half-expected the REAL sound effect from Sonic 2/3 when you gulp a bubble, but of course it wasn't there.

Anyway, that got me thinking, as lame as it sounds, that bubble-gulp from Sonic is probably my most favorite video game sound effect. I just have always loved it.
Anyone else have a totally random favorite sound effect?

Haha no way!

I was playing Sonic Rush DS recently, and got to the underwater stage and just felt a total rush of euphoria and nostalgia at the bubble gulp. It's definately one of my favorites too.

Theres too many to list the others....

barf

Maxima's Barber
When you jump on Yoshi in Mario World.

(When you insert a credit in Killer Instinct, love that too)