Favorite KOF

What is your favorite KOF, now that 2K3 is out?

• KOF 94

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • KOF 95

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • KOF 96

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • KOF 97

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • KOF 98

Votes: 49 25.5%
  • KOF 99

Votes: 26 13.5%
  • KOF 2000

Votes: 24 12.5%
  • KOF 2001

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • KOF 2002

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • KOF 2003

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
galfordo said:
I voted '99. Great gameplay, great backgrounds (the rain stage = :drool_2:), great music. I don't mind the strikers so much.

The rain stage gets my vote as the best KOF background EVER. Too bad the striker system blows in it, since you have to be in your neutral pose to activate them. It has bad ass music too, I think the best in the series, being rivaled by 98, and oddly enough the Ikari theme sounds better in 94 than in any of the KOF's. I know KOF 98 has the overall favorite vote, but my personal favorite is KOF 2002. I think 2002 has the best roster ever. (Even though King was omitted, which there wasn't a team she'd fit on there anyways.) Not to mention my favorite version of Kyo is back as Kusanagi, who hadn't made an appearance since Kyo-1 in KOF 99. The music is decent, nothing special. The NESTS team theme and ESAKA, as well as IKARI get my vote for the best music. The graphics rank among the best in the KOF series. (Which is expected since it's the latest version of KOF, despite the fact the lifebars BLOW. KOF 2001 had the best life bars.) Where 2002 really shines is the GAMEPLAY, which pretty much makes every game. The MAX mode activation allows for about 4 attack cancels, and opens the door for almost godlike combos. (If you've seen the Alucardxx's and Kyo3000's KOF 2002 combo video "DESTINY", you know what I'm talking about. Destiny is the name of the song that plays with the combos, and is done by Stratovarious. My favorite song ever.) For those who hated the striker system, it's paradise, but those who loved the striker system and all the 100% damage that were in 2001, you can still do them, but now it only takes 1 person instead of 3-4, and doing it with only 1 character is so much cooler. I've got no beef with the striker system, but I was happy that KOF 2002 went back to the KOF "roots". As well as bringing the best features of the most recent KOFs along with it. That is why it gets my vote as "Best KOF ever." *Phew* That was a long one!

Brett

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
By the way, I don't know how KOF 99 is beating KOF 2001. 2001 is the same thing, but the system actually works :p

Neo Gunloc

Rugal's Thug
The King of Fighters '98 : Dreammatch Never Ends/The Slugfest.
Definetly the best in the series IMO.
KOF '97 stands a good 2nd place.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Voted for '96, which is still my favourite and the one I've played most. Awesome music, great grafics, kick-ass boss team, goenitz, endings, great intro and beatufil backgrounds. It may have been overcomed technically speaking by it's successors, but as a whole game, is still the best IMO.

'97 is also awesome, but has the great flaw of the music, and '98 is perfect for 2 player game (but has the ugliest intro in the series :p )

[OCEAN]

twodeepuzzler

Geese's Thug
<<goes out on limb>>

I really enjoy '95. Big damage, cool stages (especially the aof stage and neogeo land) Eiji, Iori, etc etc etc.

After that, I'd probably say '97 followed by '01. But then again, I enjoy them all.

TerryBogard

Zero's Secretary
KOF 2000.

Simply put, awesome roster, great music and BGs, wonderful gameplay, and I love the striker system in this one.

Hell, if this game had Geese, Foxy, Mature, and Shermie (playable), it would have been perfect.

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
98= great gameplay!
97= great storyline!

But overall, '98 isstill my favorite.

johnkiddier

Kabuki Klasher
KOF 2003.

Having played 98, 99 and now 03, I find 2003 to be the most fun. The faster style of play and the tag in make the game feel very different but still retaiing that KOF feel.

My only gripe is that DM's are much harder to pull off as the timings must be more exact.

MSRdude

Super Sidekicks 3
KOF 2k3 has new characters which is good, but their characters seem kinda easy than the other KOF

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
The one with the dude from Kizuna Encounter. Can't remember which KOF it was...

Are you talking about the, "another strikers," from The King Of Fighters 2000?

A few of those were Kizuna cameos.

Or are you talking about the background cameos found in screenshots of The King Of Fighters 2002?

--KagerouSama

Despair

Crazed MVS Addict
98' got most of my favorite characters, real balanced out, good music, can play as original characters, has two different fighting systems to choose from to form different strategies

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
the shit will never change. 98 Forever and ever. You can't beat it with a stick.

TacoFace

Rugal's Thug
I vote for 95' . I know they improved alot over the years but 95' was the one that got me into KOF and I get that ahhh back in the day feeln' when I play it . I hate Rugal the cheap bastard at the end though .

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I've been playing KOF 2003 with my friends all frikkin week. I have to say it's definitley one of my favorite, I think it beats 2002, but not as good as 1998. Maybe on par with 2000.

Knatty Dreadnok

Crossed Swords Squire
KOF '96 and '98.

KOF '98 is my all time favorite, it's got pratically everyone and the gameplay is on point. Pulling combos wasn't as HARD as it was in '96 but wasn't as EASY as in '97. Besides they brought back HEAVY D! I don't give a rats ass about his team, but I loved the improvements they made on him... he's a true master of the sweet science! And my all-time favorite player of the series, next to Goenitz.

KOF '96 was the first Cart I ever purchased of the series. And in some instances the most memorable. The music was nice, the stages were excellent and the finale over the top. Goenitz will forever be my all-time favorite boss! He was so good that when '97 came out and I finally fought OROCHI, it was truly anti-climatic. Don't get me wrong the game was good... but the boss in '97 was a real let down.

Last edited: