Favorite game consoles

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I'm curious what people here would rank their favorite game consoles. Maybe some of the choices are going to be obvious; I'd still like to see what people think. I'll list ten, but I'm not going to tell anyone how many to list. If you want to rank every system ever, go right ahead. If you make a controversial choice, it'd be cool to know why.

For me it's something like this, though I could change my mind depending on my mood:

1. Xbox 360 - so many games, and XBLA has a ton of original 2D old school style games. Faulty hardware and poor d-pad makes me think twice, though.
2. SNES
3. NES
4. Nintendo 3DS - I'm counting the fact that it plays the entire library of DS games on top of 3DS. I also like the streetpass function.
5. Genesis
6. Neo-Geo AES - Would have done better than the SNES back in the day if it weren't so damn expensive. The controllers are incredible, too.
7. Playstation - There are tons of games I would play again, and probably will end up owning on various collections and downloadable rereleases for newer consoles. (I'm afraid my old PS will break)
8. Playstation 2 - Similar feelings about this as PS1. I don't make time for it anymore, and I am always afraid it's going to break, but it had a great library.
9. Playstation 3 - Good library, but not quite as good on download titles and exclusives as the 360. Makes a good Blu-ray player. The controller has an okay d-pad.
10. Gamecube - I played the shit out of this thing back in the day. I was addicted to Monkey Ball and Pikmin - spent hundreds of hours with those games alone.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Top 5

In no order:
DS/3DS - I have poured so many hours into these systems its not even funny. Some of my absolute favorite games (ace attorney, 999/zero escape, dragon quest iv-vi, radiant historia, zelda) and so many more to still try out

MVS: I absolutely love the action, the artwork, soundtracks, and almost everything else about the games. Being absurd about the artwork and risky concepts defined this and made itnkne of my favorites.

SNES: I love RPG games, especially those that keee engaged. Earthbound, chrono trigger, some of the best platformers, and some of my favorite memories as a child were with this system.

360: I invested in this during college and was blown away by some of the best gameplay I've ever experienced. Dead space taught me survival horror that I hadn't felt since RE1, gears of war allowee co-op with my brother that was a ton of fun, and a ton of other memories from many many games.

N64: the games were great, but it was all about local 4 player madness that ensued during Mario kart, smash bros, GoldenEye, and many other games. Ocarina of time, super Mario 64, it was amazing.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
In no order:

NES
SNES
Dreamcast
N64
Gamecube
PS2
Xbox 360

honorable mentions:

Genesis
Gameboy Color
Nintendo DS
Colecovision
Commodore 64
Neo Geo
Turbo Grafx 16

I think the Saturn would've at least made the honorable mentions list had I played at the time it was new and imported all the good stuff. When I finally got around to it, superior PS2 ports were in abundance and not to mention the Mameorz just got better and better.

I wanted to put the PS1 on there, but besides MGS1 ... I can't think of another game that'd really compel me to play the damn thing (not saying there weren't other games, it's just that they look like demos compared to their next generation sequels).

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
1. Saturn
2. Super Nintendo
3. Genesis (w/CD and 32X)
4. Atari 2600 (anyone who doesn't like Yars' Revenge can fuck off)
5. NES
6. Neo Geo
7. Playstation
8. Nintendo 64
7. Gamecube
8. Master System
9. Playstation 2
10. Turbografx-16
11. Dreamcast
12. Colecovision
13. Intellivision
14. Xbox
15. Wii
16. Atari 7800
17. Playstation 3
18. Xbox 360
19. Odyssey 2
20. Vectrex
21. Jaguar w/Jaguar CD
22. 3DO
23. Atari 5200
24. CD-i
25. Virtual Boy

Handhelds:
1. Game Boy Advance
2. Game Boy/Game Boy Color
3. Nintendo DS
4. Game Gear
5. Bandai Wonderswan/Wonderswan Color
6. PSP
7. Neo Geo Pocket/Pocket Color
8. Atari Lynx
9. N-Gage

Won't rank the XEGS because it's my newest system and I haven't spent enough time with it. I own all the systems listed, plus a bunch of variations (Game Boy Pocket, DS Lite, Genesis II, etc). Also won't rank current machines like Vita, 3DS, Wii U, PS4, XB1.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Going solely on game libraries.

Console:
1. PS2 - Greatest overall library of any console, especially considering that every model has perfect backwards compatibility with nearly the entire PS1 library.
2. X360 - The best system for shmups. Another extensive library of high-quality games, though it's been diluted by Call of Duty bullshit and it can't match the PS2.
3. Genesis - The superior 16-bit system, even if it hasn't aged as gracefully as the SNES. Sega CD library also has a lot of gems.
4. SNES
5. NES
6. Saturn
7. PS3 (w/out backwards compatibility)
8. Gamecube
9. N64

-100. Ouya

Handheld:
1. GBA
2. GB/GBC
3. PSP
4. DS
5. NGP/NGPC
6. WS/WSC
7. GG
8. Lynx

-99. N-Gage
-100. Tapwave Zodiac
-101. Gizmondo

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
It'd be too hard to try and rank my favorites that I own/have owned in order. So here they are in no particular order.

NES
SNES
N64
GC
TG-16/Turbo Express
Omega CMVS/Neo AES
Dreamcast
Gameboy

I still own/have owned 3-4 times that many consoles. But those are the ones I've got the most time on because I enjoyed them more than the rest.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
No order of preference:

Original Xbox - some stellar titles across all genres but the kicker was linking consoles for Halo local mayhem. No greater fun was ever had on any other console when friends hung out and rocketed each other. Most players we could organize was 12 and it was laugh out loud material constantly.

Dreamcast - it covered the fighters and schmups superbly but also had the party games such as Chu Chu Rocket, Powerstone 2 and Bomberman for the non gamers. Quake 3 arena became a way of life for many years amongst my friends and I.

PS1 - Wipeout 2097!

Xbox360 - an insane amount of quality titles and XBLA to further explore. It will take me years to play the back catalog.

Neo Geo - stands the test of time and the first choice for fighters.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
In order, probably:

1. PS2
2. SNES
3. PS1
4. Neo
5. Dreamcast
6. GBA
7. PSP
8. NES
9. Genesis
10. ??

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
No Order, I could not decide.

Nes
Snes
Neo Geo Home Console
Saturn
Dreamcast
Genesis
Gameboy
3DS XL
Turbo Grafix
Atari 2600
Gamecube
PSP
PS 1 through 3

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
In order...

Dreamcast - Sega's swan song and the last pure gamers console. What I mean by this is the library was varied but was loaded with a lot of hardcore gamer titles (SFIII, Quake III, Gigawing). I got into the console just as it died (that was when I first had some disposable income in college) but I have great memories of it. It's hooked up in multiple rooms ready to go. Skies of Arcadia, Project Justice, Unreal Tournament w/ Panther pad, Cannon Spike, I can just list most of the games I own for it. It's my most prized system.

SNES - Chidhood favorite and 2nd strongest overall gaming library. Also has quite a few of my favorite games ever (FF6, Yoshi's Island, Uniracers, MMX & MMX3) second only to...

PS2 - This system literally has something for everyone. Between that and the volume of games, I question anyone that doesn't have this system in their top 5-10.

GBA - Good as the original GB was, the games didn't hold up to the test of time due to the systems limitations (screen, buttons). This was the pinnacle of handheld gaming. The DS/3DS/PSP/Vita are all good in their own rights, but GBA hit from all sides.

GCN - This system never got the credit it was due from the mass market, but I have put a LOT of time into it. Had a decent variety of games up until the last year or so from a release standpoint, but it was still a strong library.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Saturn
Neo Geo
NES
Genesis
SNES

I'll keep the rest of my hardware around as means to end for specific titles.
I have a pretty deep love for the aforementioned five's libraries.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I'll clarify that I don't consider the Neo AES to be a console in the same vein as the others on my list. It's arcade hardware for the consumer market.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Favorite Old School Consoles

1. Mega Drive
2. Neo-Geo
3. Famciom
4. Super Famicom
5. Pc Engine Duo

Favorite Newer Consoles

1. PS2
2. Sega Saturn (a ton of great import titles)
3. Dreamcast
4. PS1
5. Xbox 360, PS3 (same shit)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
1. SNES - By far, I have the most gaming hours on SNES
2. Genesis - Close second - first console I bought in 1990
3. Neo Geo - Very much enjoying my Neos at the moment, now that I can actually afford the games
4. Wii - Got me back into gaming
5. Gameboy - Great memories with one of these

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I'll clarify that I don't consider the Neo AES to be a console in the same vein as the others on my list. It's arcade hardware for the consumer market.

Interesting point. This is certainly WHY is cost so much, because it wasn't designed to be any different than an arcade machine you could play on a TV. It still fits my definition of a console, though. If you stick an arcade board in a nice easy-to-use box that hooks up to a TV, I would consider that an act of "consolizing" it.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I'd be content for life if all I had were a PS2 and a SNES.

Best consoles

hands down.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd be content for life if all I had were a PS2 and a SNES.
Same here.

Well, I mean, I'm glad I have the others, but I could get by with just those two if I had to. And if I had to, those are the two I would pick.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Top 5:
Mostly going off of game libraries, including imports.

1. SNES - Think of the games, not to mention the controller design. Nintendo first party games, all the best RPGs, great ports of Street Fighter games...
2. PS2 - Literally has it all - fighters, shmups, rpgs, etc. Had a good long run. Backwards compatibility allowed one to access the PS1 back catalog too.
3. Neo-Geo - The system we all worship! Real arcade perfection... a mind-blowing idea. SNK's fighters also are the origin of a lot of gameplay elements we take for granted in every new game.
4. PC Engine - The console and its games have a lot of charm. IMO this is shooter heaven.
5. Dreamcast - Probably had the most pure fun with this system. I was in college when it came out and I fucked with the fighters and shooters especially. I almost put Saturn down in this spot... Both systems provided access to the SNK fighters when I didn't have a Neo-Geo, and some shmups when Mame wasn't cutting it. The DC of course had a lot of other fun games for local multiplayer - Power Stone, Chu Chu Rocket, Cannon Spike, HOD & other light gun games, etc. I'm a big fan of Sonic Adventure and Jet Set Radio for playing solo. On the subject of Sega, I wasn't big into Genesis games back in the day, so it didn't make the list, but lately I am loving the machine.

Possible contender for future favorite: 3DS.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Hrmmm... This is tough. In order-ish:

1. Dreamcast - Great library that plenty of games for most genres, kept 2D alive and gave off the feeling of "this is 3D gaming in its polished form"
2. NES / Famicom - So much fun and so many games.
3. PS2 - Amazing list of RPGs, shooters, and 3D action games
3.5. Genesis / MD - Sonic was awesome. Fuck you. The system really had its own vibe.
4. 360 - For the Cave
5. SNES / Super Fami - Great platformers and RPGs
6. Saturn - Tons of 2D fighters and shooters, NiGHTS
7. PS1 - Squaresoft love
8. DS - Dragon Quest remakes and Professor Layton
9. Xbox - Better choice over PS2 for multi-platform games IMO
10. PS3 - Some great exclusives like MGS4 and Valkyria Chronicles
11. PCE - Shooters

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
1. Wii