Favorite fighting games with one player experience.

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I ask this after realizing that my friends don't touch these games anymore and I recently tried out games like Red Earth and JoJo's Bizare Adventure for CPSIII.

Mine would have to be Last Blade 1, KOF 97, Samura Shodown 2, SFA 2 and SFIII 3rd Strike.

I really like the leveling up with multiple enemies for Red Earth and JoJo's BA may be simple gameplay wise, but has a lot of comic style cut scenes.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Yeah, I actually really enjoy KOF '97 for solo play. I still don't understand why people shit on that game. SVC is awesome for solo play.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I used to play a lot of SF2 and MK2 single player, trying to get the endings. And the Tekken games since they always had those cool CG endings. I find playing fighting games alone incredibly boring now.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury 3 and Real Bout Fatal Fury are both excellent 1 player experiences. Maybe the best 1 player fighters I've ever played.

Samurai Shodowns 3 and 5 are also a lot of fun 1 player.
World Heroes Perfect.
Art of Fighting 2 & 3.
I also like Rage of the Dragons and Double Dragon a lot 1 player.
Ninja Master's.
Last Blade has a great one player experience.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SFA3 on DC (World Tour mode is friggin' awesome).

Last Blade and LB2 (cool atmosphere, nice pics and level intros)

...another vote vor KoF97

Art of Fighting 3 ('nuff said)

Capcom Fighting Jam (character swapping)

World Heroes 2 Jet (team-style matches)

...etc...

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I like art of fighting 2 ONLY as a one player game. Amazing graphics and lots of story to look at. The engine is not so great as a VS fighter but if you play it as if every match is a boss fight and you figure out patterns and counters its very fun game to play alone.

EDIT: same goes for fatal fury. FF didn't really get solid as a VS game untill FFS in my opinion, but FF1 is still fun to play alone for me.

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Yeah, I actually really enjoy KOF '97 for solo play. I still don't understand why people shit on that game. SVC is awesome for solo play.

It just has so much to offer team-story wise. There are some many nice mixed teams with actual endings and I like the BG graphics and the audience sounds which a lot of people rip on.

I used to play a lot of SF2 and MK2 single player, trying to get the endings. And the Tekken games since they always had those cool CG endings. I find playing fighting games alone incredibly boring now.

Yeah, the one player experience with the CG endings in Tekken 1-3 were great back then, but now of course eishh. I also enjoyed the really nice CG endings for DOA 3 and 4. Soul Edge and Tobal 2 were also fun when they first came out.

edit: Great mentions with AOF 2, 3, FF 1, 3 and SFA3 World Tour. I just wish SFA 3 didn't have the noticable DC dithering checkerboard effect. I use S-video with my DC. Do other people notice this?

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Many of my favs have already been mentioned. Along w/ the above, I'll say Vampire Savior Saturn rev.

It was Soooo freaking surprising/fullfiling/worth playing solo to unlock the ex options. Top shelf fan service, that.

I also love playing Cyberbots & Tech Romancer single player...lots of cool intermissions/story modes for each of these.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Truthfully, my vote for this thread is Power Stone 2 on Dreamcast simply for the reason of playing and getting all the extra stuff. Sure, arcade-style games have been doing this for years to increase "replay-value" on home versions, but with Power Stone games, it's a damned-near necessity because, as you said, playing the game alone is like playing half (or less) of the game as it was intended.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
JoJo's! Man I miss that game.

Cyberbots was a fun 1p game also.

So are Samurai 2,4,5 and the Real Bout games.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I also love playing Cyberbots & Tech Romancer single player...lots of cool intermissions/story modes for each of these.

Good choices, totally forgot about those. Tech Romancer is really cool in 1P, as is Plasma Sword. Quite underrated games IMO.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
When I think of fighting games with something to offer the single player experience, I think about rewards on my investment of time. Was the game worth playing through? Do I find these characters and this world interesting enough to want to know more about it? At the very least, was there any unlockable content I opened up as a result?

So, with that in mind, here are mine. Note that I'm not endorsing, specifically, the quality of these fighting games. I'm simply saying that as someone who appreciates aesthetics in games, I was compelled to play these games in 1P for the creative aspects and/or the various unlockables.

Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury Special, Fatal Fury 3, RBFF
Garou: Mark Of The Wolves
Art Of Fighting 2, Art of Fighting 3
Samurai Shodown, Samurai Shodown 2, Samurai Shodown 4, Samurai Shodown 5
Last Blade, Last Blade 2
KOF 94, 95, 96, 97, 99. 2K, 2K1, 2K3, XI, MI, MI 2
SvC Chaos
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, SSF2T HDR
Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3 Giant Attack, Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike
Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 4
Capcom Fighting Jam
X-Men: Children of the Atom
Marvel Super Heroes
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Final Fight Revenge
Rival Schools
Rival Schools: Project Justice
Star Gladiator
Star Gladiator 2
Tekken-whole series
Dead or Alive-whole series
Soul Calibur-whole series (including Soul Edge)
Evil Zone (OLD PSX/PSOne game)
Bushido Blade 2
Bloody Roar-whole series
Tech Romancer

These fighting games have great aesthetics and I want to eventually play through them for the story mode and unlocks. To this point, I've only dabbled:

Guilty Gear
Blazblue
Warzard

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
King of Fighters 1997 is one of the best single player fighting games of all time. Definitely at the top of my list.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Wow, Taiso took the whole genre with him. :)

Tao Feng, as a study, has some great elements... um, but you'll need an original Xbox to play it. I think I'm the only person that ever enjoyed this game.

Survival Arts... just because. And Tattoo Assassins. Time Killers, too. Oh, wait, did you want games that were actually good and didn't cause hemorrhaging?

Guilty Gear is always fun on consoles with all the effed up stories. BlazBlue is the same.

My favorites at this moment -
Fist of the North Star
Akatasuki Blitzkampf
GGXXAC
Fate Unlimited Codes
KoF XI
The Rumble Fish 2
Capcom vs SNK 2
SVC Chaos
Melty Blood AB or AA
Sengoku Basara Cross
Arcana Heart FULL! (uh... what?)

.... all of these can really only be appreciated multiplayer.

All time personal lonely single player fun -
Warzard/Red Earth
Jojo's HftF
Rival Schools 2
Gem Fighter
Weapon Lord
Cyberbots
MK: Deception (Konquest!)

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Actually I enjoyed 1P games in CvS2 for the unlockables and special end-boss fights 'n stuff.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Wow, Taiso took the whole genre with him. :)

Dude, you don't even know.

I have piles and piles of art books, strategy guides foreign and domestic, the soundtracks...EVERYTHING. I used to be CRAZY about the artistic expressions of fighting games. I'd study frames of animation for neutral stances, walking, retreating, dashing, rolling, attacks and throws, facial expressions, dialogue interactions...the whole deal.

I still find them to be some of the most colorfully designed and inventive characters and worlds in video games. I've settled down since the halcyon days of the mid nineties, but I admit I still have a soft spot in my heart for this kind of thing (as is evidenced by my list.)

Aesthetics in video games are very high on my list of things to study as it pertains to this genre and most visual mediums of entertainment I enjoy. The more 'full' a game is of these things (like with Fatal Fury 3, which is bursting at the seams with this kind of developer love,) the more I appreciate its art direction and design.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
I was trying to read to your post, but every line reminded me of Guilty Gear. ;)

Seriously, though, totally relate. That's probably why I have such a thing for Tao Feng - they tried so hard to make something amazing... and.. kinda didn't.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury 3.

Ninja Master's is NOT a good one-player experience. Feels too shallow alone.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
@ S: might finally cave & try TFeng...I never knew if your sig was tongue in cheek or not, before reading this thread.

@ Tak: *tips hat* thx for quoting my choices. I have also found these two to be underrated.

@ Taiso: Evil Zone? Word? Another one I have to check out now, as we share a gaming/art brain. Lol.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury 2
FFS
FF3 Road to the Final Victory
Samurai Shodown

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Garou MotW - Mostly for the Survival mode. Best Survival mode in a fighting game ever.
Last Blade - Great atmosphere. Great gameplay.
CvS/CvS2
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Just for the huge amount of characters to play as, if nothing else.
Street Fighter II - Pure nostalgia.
Soul Caliber - The soul still burns. Loved mission mode on the DC.
World Heroes - Just love the humor in this series so much.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
0.jpg

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
3rd Strike. Vampire Savior/Vampire Hunter. Alpha 2.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I still find it hard to believe that at one time I actually cared about fighting game story lines. Granted I was younger but it took me a while to realize that there was never going to be any kind of resolution to any of it and none of them really even make sense.