Robb

Crossed Swords Squire
Strikers 1945+. I can only finish it cuz I have a modded neo ! :tickled:
Ghost Pilots is awesome too...
Blazing Star is a side scroller..
Aero Fighters 2 is good too.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
Hands down TSS.... there is nothing else like it out there. With that being said, Blazing star would be my second choice.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Kid Aphex said:
id say PULSTAR for sure; if nothing more than for the ridiculously amazing intro----no game gets me more pumped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnjB_IIxC64

Agreed, but for more than just the intro. It's just all around quality, and has that old-school shmup feel...ie, no ridiculous chaining or bizarre scoring systems. Yea, I get sick of chaining etc sometimes in the modern games.

lidiaandmichael

Crazed MVS Addict
Come on guys what about Ironclad?:D

Anyone?????????

Pulstar is pretty tight as is Blazing Star but Ironclad is awsome.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Prehistoric Isle 2 deserves some attention. It's good on 1-player playing for scores. If you just play through the game with 2-players you're not really going to appreciate it. It feels more balanced to me (i.e. it doesn't kick my ass as early in the game as most Neo shooters do).

I don't know why people dislike Ghost Pilots. For what it is, it's very fun.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Robb said:
Strikers 1945+. I can only finish it cuz I have a modded neo ! :tickled:
Ghost Pilots is awesome too...
Blazing Star is a side scroller..
Aero Fighters 2 is good too.

How many times did you go through it. I only ask this because when you beat it you go to board 2-1. Lots and lots of bullets.........

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Strikers 1945. I've played the other shooters on the hardware, and this one still stands out for me. The zero fighter is my favorite.

Neo Alec said:
Prehistoric Isle 2 deserves some attention. It's good on 1-player playing for scores. If you just play through the game with 2-players you're not really going to appreciate it. It feels more balanced to me (i.e. it doesn't kick my ass as early in the game as most Neo shooters do).

I don't know why people dislike Ghost Pilots. For what it is, it's very fun.

PI2 is a great game, we had a little competition here a few years ago and Gemant came, he saw, he conquered all. He eventually divulged the secret to us.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
lidiaandmichael said:
Come on guys what about Ironclad?:D

Anyone?????????

Pulstar is pretty tight as is Blazing Star but Ironclad is awsome.

OK. So whose opinion is that...Lidia or Michael's? Do you two get in fights over whether Blazing Star or Pulstar is the superior horizontal Neo shooter?

bogsie

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Viewpoint was a massive reason for me getting into NG gaming, but Pulstar is just superb. Everything about both of these titles screams quality.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
LadyVamp said:
Blazing Star, baby. BLAZING STAR.

I owned it for a little while. It took me forever to get to the end, and when I finally did, it was a giant friggin floating baby. A god damn giant baby! Haven't played it since.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Blazing Star's scoring system really is annoying. I can't understand how some fun can be found in it.

Sonic Wings 2 then.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
Strikers for me, but by a small margin it would have been blazing star but the never ending cry of 'BONUS' is the only thing I hate about it!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
GunstarHero said:
PI2 is a great game, we had a little competition here a few years ago and Gemant came, he saw, he conquered all. He eventually divulged the secret to us.
Whis is... ?

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I never "got" Blazing Star. Couldn't get into it I guess. I don't see what the big deal with it is.

Now Last Resort is great. I love the control of the orb and the stages are awesome.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Even though I much prefer vert shmups, Last Resort.

Something so classic and classy about Last Resort.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
neofonta said:
Ghost Pilots rules dudes

Ghost Pilots is dross and you know it.

I'd probably pick Pulstar although I usually prefer vert shooters.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
qube said:
Even though I much prefer vert shmups, Last Resort.

Something so classic and classy about Last Resort.

Last Resort was always referred to as the "poor man's Pulstar" and I never thought that was fair. Pulstar is gorgeous, but it is just so damn frustrating for me. Maybe I am just terrible at it, I think I'm pretty decent at shooters overall, but Pulstar hands me my ass and I just walk away from the machine angry (the main reason I don't own it any more). Last Resort, though, is so much more moody and cool, it also seems to be more fair. I was always hoping I would "get" Pulstar one day and a light would flip on for me or something, but I never could get into it.

As for favorites, up until Strikers 1945... shit... maybe Aerofighters 2 or 3. I even really enjoy Alpha Mission and Andro Dunos... All have their merits. Captain Tomaday I wish was just a smidge better... but shit... there are just so many great Neo shooters.