Fatal Fury: What's in your Gaming Library?

How much Fury do you have?

• Total voters

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
This thread is being repurposed to track what kind of Neo Geo Fatal Fury (titled) games you have as per suggestion by Xang Xi. You can use the other thread I made to play favourites :)

Last edited:

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
I feel like I can't vote just yet, as I only just discovered the Fatal Fury games via the PS2 collections and I haven't even played the Real Bout games or Mark of the Wolves yet.

I noticed Mark of the Wolves isn't a poll choice, nor is Dominated Mind, Wild Ambition or F Contact.

I really love Fatal Fury 1. As of this moment, I consider it and Fatal Fury 3 the best games in the series (keep in mind my relative lack of experience though). What I like about 1 is that it doesn't play like a typical fighting game: each enemy is unique and a part of his stage. the way Richard Meyer grabs the ceiling and kicks, the way Hwa Jai will grab a beer mid-battle, all that stuff is a really nice touch that really gives the game more personality and character than you usually see in fighting games, both back then and now. I also like that there's actually a storyline when most fighters are just "win the tournament." It really gives you incentive to play with all three characters to see the different progressions for each of them.

That being said, my only problem is that the special moves are near-impossible to do... except for the Burn Knuckle, Zan'ei Ken and Slash Kick, and of course those are the only three you actually need to win. That's my other problem: Once you learn about the knockdown glitch, the game becomes a joke. I nearly 1cced this game on MVS mode with Andy, and I'm not even good at fighting games.

It's all worth it though, to have the Pao Pao Cafe theme music stuck in your head.

I'll be honest, I didn't really like Fatal Fury 2 or Special much the first time I played them. They felt kind of like a letdown. Sure, they fixed some of the problems I had with the original, but now its a standard tournament concept with minimal and its lost a lot of the charm the original had. That being said, the more I play them, the more attached I get.

But Fatal Fury 3 now, that one has my heart and soul. By completely changing up the gameplay, SNK managed to once again make a game that stands on its own and serves as a unique specimen among fighters. Admittedly, it took me awhile to get used to it, and according to the manual each character has a "Super Mode" that allows you to do "Hidden" moves that are basically impossible to pull off (and I've never gotten the Super Mode Enable to work... I think the manual has a misprint), and some of the SDM commands now just do feints (this got me killed once when I was trying to do the Power Geyser. I still don't know what the actual command for it is) But even so...

This is pretty much Fatal Fury perfection. If you can get past the rough start, then the (otherwise) flawless inputs, the fast action, the side-stepping and circling and judging and timing and comboing, hitting them into ponds, being hit toward the screen... you feel like you're there, like you're actually in a bare-fisted brawl for supremacy. This is a man's fighting game!

My only regret is I'll probably never be good enough to face the Jin brothers. But then, as Andy Bogard once said : "If you want to be the best, its practice everyday." Time to pull out my arcade stick and go for it...

Oh yeah, F Contact (for the NGPC) is also decent. And so far Wild Ambition isn't bad, but it feels kind of generic.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Ive got them all (got all the Real Bouts only a couple days ago for AES) i reckon they are all great games!!

For me, Fatal Fury 3 is the one ive found the hardest to get into, i like it, but not as much.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I have them all. I enjoy Fatal Fury Special the most. I didn't take the series seriously until that game came out. It's full of awesomeness.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For me it's RBFFS because it's like FF3 but with more people and some good stuff in it.

Weirdly, I never realized I never did one for the Fatal Fury series. I only did series for KOF, Metal Slug and Sengoku.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
im another vote for gmotw. its right up there with the all time great fighting games. its a shame that its not in the poll.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
Ummm, I hope I did this right. I didn't understand if the question was asking you to decide what Fatal Fury games you have or what Fatal Fury game is your favorite. Because the question is "How much Fury do you have?" I assumed I was supposed to just check off what all I owned, and that's what I did (I own both the collections, though my volume 2 is an import and that's why I've never played it).

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ummm, I hope I did this right. I didn't understand if the question was asking you to decide what Fatal Fury games you have or what Fatal Fury game is your favorite. Because the question is "How much Fury do you have?" I assumed I was supposed to just check off what all I owned, and that's what I did (I own both the collections, though my volume 2 is an import and that's why I've never played it).

Judging by the results I think everyone might have done the same since the original Fatal Fury has 6 votes. I think this thread needs to be killed off and a new one with clear instructions should be made so the results are more accurate.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Judging by the results I think everyone might have done the same since the original Fatal Fury has 6 votes. I think this thread needs to be killed off and a new one with clear instructions should be made so the results are more accurate.

i thought it was the favorite one. oops.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member

Sorry about the confusion Xian Xi and everyone else.

If you could host the next thread Xian Xi then it would go its own way to eliminate thread confusion as well I think. Also, it sounds like people wanted to be able to vote on other Fatal Fury software also so you can add that to the thread as well if you feel it necessary.

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
It is really hard to choose when there are multiple games instead of one, lol. I went with Fatal Fury 1 for complete original experience, Fatal Fury 3 for how much work and atmosphere put into it and Real Bout Special for favorite fighting system and moves, character roster, soundtrack, and AI.

That being said, my only problem is that the special moves are near-impossible to do... except for the Burn Knuckle, Zan'ei Ken and Slash Kick, and of course those are the only three you actually need to win. That's my other problem: Once you learn about the knockdown glitch, the game becomes a joke. I nearly 1cced this game on MVS mode with Andy, and I'm not even good at fighting games.

The moves are damn easy actually. Don't try to input the commands like other fighting games. Just do nice and slow motions for the commands like you are trying to move underwater, lol. Also, some other exploits are: jump in and throw, Andy's Kuhadan charge move timed right with the correct distance, and spamming Terry's power wave.

You really need to go ahead and play Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2. Real Bout 1 is good also, but it felt like a cross between FF3 and RBS. I soon rather play them over Real Bout most of the time. The fighting engine in the later RB games has an awesome pace and combo engine. I still have the most fun playing those two games.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I wouldn't include MOTW in this Rate it since it's a new breed of Fatal Fury.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I wouldn't include MOTW in this Rate it since it's a new breed of Fatal Fury.

wouldnt that discount the sf alpha games from a list of favorite street fighter games then?

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
I dont think we need a new thread do we? I thought it was pretty clear by the fact you can select more than one option that it is which ones you have!! Edit the first post if need be!!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
FF1 and FFS on neo, the rest I have as ports on other platforms.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
wouldnt that discount the sf alpha games from a list of favorite street fighter games then?

No it's because everyone knows that MOTW will always come out on top when compared to the other FF games. When you remove it from the poll you can see what real Fatal Fury game in the series stands out under MOTW.

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
I have them all but I think I like FF3 the best. Maybe its because it has the best intro?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
A poll is not a poll if the same people votes 3 times but whatever. It's RB2 for me. Garou is more a Street Fighter game than a Fatal Fury game. Sure, it's awesome and all but it doesn't play like a FF game. Oh and btw, RB2 is not only the best FF game but also the best VS. neo game in my book. I have to agree with you guys about FF3's presentation though, the train stage was truely awesome at the time.

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah even though it has a low meg count FF3 seems to be packed full of presentation thats missing from other games although RBS has some nice touches.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Voted.

Now, do a poll to find out who's the KING--THE KING OF FIGHTERS!! :D

BizMarkie82

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Voted.

Now, do a poll to find out who's the KING--THE KING OF FIGHTERS!! :D

Actually since the vote itself is called "How Much Fury Do You Have?" I was thinking we could move it to the Unrelated section of the forum and all discuss our jobs. ;)