Fatal Fury Special issue

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
The graphics are garbled on my copy of FFS. It is not a boot. Nothing really looks out of place, but is there a specific chip I can replace to fix the issue? I'm unfamiliar with flashing chips and the like. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
So a few things first

AES or MVS

Have you tried cleaning the cart edges with an eraser and some deoxit (or alcohol)?
Have you examined the solder points for any dry joints that may need to be reflowed (especially around the ROM chips)?

Do you have a unibios to do a CRC check on the cart?

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
So a few things first

AES or MVS

Have you tried cleaning the cart edges with an eraser and some deoxit (or alcohol)?
Have you examined the solder points for any dry joints that may need to be reflowed (especially around the ROM chips)?
I do have a unibios 3.0 but am unfamiliar with doing diagnostic testing with it.

Do you have a unibios to do a CRC check on the cart?

Thank you for the quick reply.

MVS
I have cleaned the contacts.
I do see maybe one small joint that could use more solder. I cleaned the whole cart today with a degreaser and am waiting for the boards to dry (they were pretty disgusting in parts).

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
I also have a unibios but am unfamiliar with using it to debug

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I'd start by just heating up joints that look like they are cracked/dry so they reflow.
Can you post a pic of the issue if that doesnt work so we can see which graphics are jacked up?

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
I'd start by just heating up joints that look like they are cracked/dry so they reflow.
Can you post a pic of the issue if that doesnt work so we can see which graphics are jacked up?

I'll give it a go once everything is dry and I'll add pics as well. Thank you for the help

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
PixEcCE.jpg
DvZBoZL.jpg
Iz67ll8.jpg

In the third pic above where it says B1 there are 8 holes. There is a scratch between two of them (2nd from right) that may be deep enough to be shorting the board. Although, if so, I don't know how to fix it.

On the other hand, it may have nothing to do with that at all.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
In the third pic above where it says B1 there are 8 holes. There is a scratch between two of them (2nd from right) that may be deep enough to be shorting the board. Although, if so, I don't know how to fix it.

On the other hand, it may have nothing to do with that at all.

A scratch might be cutting a trace, and based on what we're seeing this looks like it could be an addressing issue in conjunction with a broken data line. Addressing issues would produce (typically) properly formed tiles in the wrong places / at the wrong time, while a data issue might result in certain color selections being wrong or vertical lines in the graphics.

If you take a clean picture of the area with the scratch that might help.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
This is the best I can do with my phone.

Pmth1SX.jpg

eyDdAJ6.jpg

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I can't see anything that looks like damage. You can try re-flowing the solder on all the ROM chips. I've fixed a FFS this way that had similar graphical problems. Those joints often crack with age and stress.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Trying running the crc check in the unibios menu. It may also be an address line issue somewhere.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
Shadow I'm unfamiliar with that.

I have reflowed every solder joint. Still no lock

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
If you have a unibios, power up the system while holding A, B, and C, then go to "Gamecart CRC check". It should identify the game without any problems, as your program roms seem fine. It will attempt to check that the game's data is intact by performing a cyclic redundancy check. In short, this tool can help identify which ROMs may have issues.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
Nice! I'll give that a shot asap. Thank you

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
Unless I'm reading this wrong, everything looks OK. Any other ideas?

K8WhDwb.jpg

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
These graphics problems are not in the program rom (which is the only one tested by the unibios) but in the graphics roms, so it's normal for that test to come as ok.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
Gotcha, so anyone else know the next place to look/test?