Fatal Fury Special Impressions

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I never really played much of the FF series, so I wanted to start out with one that is more refined. Supposedly FFS is just the game before treading into real bout territory. Right off the bat I can see the similarities to art of fighting with the music and fonts used.

The graphics are pretty damn nice, and so are the backgrounds.

The music is very good especially on Tung Fu Rue or Duck King stages.

As for the gameplay, the lane changes takes some getting used to at first, the CPU is very good about exploiting this and you have to be careful about when you do it. I've learned to only hop over if the CPU is far away.

I really like the way you can chain punches/kicks in this game, it feels right when you land them, albeit primitive examples, it's pretty awesome.

The difficulty in this game is freaking hard. I'm not the best with fighters I'll admit but I can hold my own just fine, and this game is freaking punishing. I realize that there are going to be patterns and exploits to figure out, but that's when it stops being fun for me.

Overall the game is pretty great though, I only wish it was a bit faster and that the CPU wasn't so damn cheap but I'd imagine with 2 players the game could be much better.

Anyways, just my impression after using this game as my gateway into the FF series.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yea it's one of the best, the only fighter I like better than FFS from that time was SFIIHF.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It's a solid FF game for sure. I have it coming in the mail right now for Home Console.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yeah, the only other thing I forgot to add is the input registration is not very forgiving either, you have to be very precise and hit them corners.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I was never a fan of FFS. It's way too "hoppy," with the constant lane changes that are not at all smooth. This coming from someone who loves AoF2. The series didn't hit its stride until Real Bout, in my opinion, and the first one of those had some highly questionable ring out mechanics.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I was never a fan of FFS. It's way too "hoppy," with the constant lane changes that are not at all smooth. This coming from someone who loves AoF2. The series didn't hit its stride until Real Bout, in my opinion, and the first one of those had some highly questionable ring out mechanics.

It's great that I read this post, because now I can disregard any opinion you have on anything, ever.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

My favorite FF game is Real Bout Fatal Fury Special. I love it.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Fatal Fury Special is a personal favourite of mine, the game play and the soundtrack are top notch.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
FFS is my favourite fighter on the Neo. Everything about it is larger than life, great characters/backgrounds/music. A very affordable classic that gets lots of use in vs around here.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
FFS is just great in almost every way and gets a ton of play. If you think the CPU is hard now wait until you fight Ryo, he will rape you and make you thank him for it.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Fave fighter I have on the home system. I don't find the input hard to do at all. With the old style stick I can pull off even the desperation moves without any problems.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Finally beat this with Terry, and wow is that cpu cheap as you advance. Jubei can seriously lick the backside of my balls. I cant remember the last time I got so angry at a game, I literally considered pulling my own lips off.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Finally beat this with Terry, and wow is that cpu cheap as you advance. Jubei can seriously lick the backside of my balls. I cant remember the last time I got so angry at a game, I literally considered pulling my own lips off.

With Terry you should always be advancing. His jumping LK has the perfect arch, and stays out for the whole jump. If you connect with it, you can usually land a nice combo string when you land. Always end a combo string with your crackshoot (or burn knuckle, but if the opponent is small like Tung or Jubei, use crackshoot to be safe), as it puts you right back in their face + does chip damage. Terry's crouching HK sweep has very good range, too, and if blocked, it can still be cancelled into a crackshoot to put you right back in their face. Sometimes I like to throw out a random power wave and see how they react to it. If they block, follow it up with a crackshoot to hit them for more chip damage. If they jump, use standing LK (an amazing anti-air), which will reset them, and you can land another block string when they land for more chip damage, or mix it up with a tick throw (will have varying success on CPU, though).

I recorded this on Kawaks earlier. Don't mind the shitty playing (I was using a ps3 pad with the gay analog stick). Jubei likes to planeshift when you jump LK him. But maybe it'll give you a new perspective on how Terry can be played.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Wow thanks so much for that advice, the video was above and beyond. I really need to get better with the crack shoots but chip damage seems to be more important than I thought.

Thank you brotha.

With Terry you should always be advancing. His jumping LK has the perfect arch, and stays out for the whole jump. If you connect with it, you can usually land a nice combo string when you land. Always end a combo string with your crackshoot (or burn knuckle, but if the opponent is small like Tung or Jubei, use crackshoot to be safe), as it puts you right back in their face + does chip damage. Terry's crouching HK sweep has very good range, too, and if blocked, it can still be cancelled into a crackshoot to put you right back in their face. Sometimes I like to throw out a random power wave and see how they react to it. If they block, follow it up with a crackshoot to hit them for more chip damage. If they jump, use standing LK (an amazing anti-air), which will reset them, and you can land another block string when they land for more chip damage, or mix it up with a tick throw (will have varying success on CPU, though).

I recorded this on Kawaks earlier. Don't mind the shitty playing (I was using a ps3 pad with the gay analog stick). Jubei likes to planeshift when you jump LK him. But maybe it'll give you a new perspective on how Terry can be played.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
crouch D -> Power Wave all day every day.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Can you please pirate Fraps or Camtasia so it doesn't look like shit?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I tried to get fraps to work with kawaks and it wouldn't pick it up. You'll just have to deal with the shit quality videos you're given.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Damn that was amazing Terry gameplay, who is your best in FFS SonGohan ?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

Damn you are tearing it up with terry :eek::eek:

ChrisB

Another Striker
I actually really like FFS, also have soft spot for Fatal Fury 2 which I play quite a bit but FFS steals the show for me!

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

Hypercam was dropping frames like crazy, and I couldn't get it to pick up sound other than from my webcam, which would always be out of sync by a couple seconds. I did download a newer version of fraps, but I can't get it to just record the Kawaks screen. I remember being able to do it with with World of Warcraft back in 2009/2010. It does record the whole desktop, Kawaks and all, so it's at least a step up from a shitty phone recording of a computer screen.

Some Geese stuff to consider in FFS:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I slightly prefer FF2 due to it being reason I got into the Neo Geo, plus 4 bosses and extended krauser intro and awesome game intro too, but no doubt special is an improvement, Duck king and Tung are great additions.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Damn dude you're beastly.

Hypercam was dropping frames like crazy, and I couldn't get it to pick up sound other than from my webcam, which would always be out of sync by a couple seconds. I did download a newer version of fraps, but I can't get it to just record the Kawaks screen. I remember being able to do it with with World of Warcraft back in 2009/2010. It does record the whole desktop, Kawaks and all, so it's at least a step up from a shitty phone recording of a computer screen.

Some Geese stuff to consider in FFS: