Fatal Fury & Karnov's Revenge illustration scan request

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I have a special request from the community here. I am looking for a couple of high resolution scans of some hard to find Neo-Geo illustrations.

The first is the original, text free illustration of Andy, Terry, and Joe from the back of the Japanese Fatal Fury 1 Neo-Geo insert. Please see the attached photo.

The second scan I am requesting is from the inside of the Karnov's Revenge/Fighter's History Dynamite booklet. It's a black & white line art illustration drawn by Shiroi Eiji/Zin Mera. I think Ray is in it. I could be wrong though. Sorry I don't have a pic to help show what I'm looking for.

If anyone has these rare illustrations and could post scans here in a reply, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ffjap-back.jpg

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i thought this was the illustration you were looking for. but in closer inspection, it turns out it's not the same image.

644db50b7251a59b6be1ffb2f903b771.jpg

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
i thought this was the illustration you were looking for. but in closer inspection, it turns out it's not the same image.

View attachment 42613

Thank you for looking into this. You're right though, it's a different illustration. I think the one I'm looking for is done by Shiroi Eiji/Zin Mera. I don't know if I've ever seen a clean complete version of it:(

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thank you for looking into this. You're right though, it's a different illustration. I think the one I'm looking for is done by Shiroi Eiji/Zin Mera. I don't know if I've ever seen a clean complete version of it:(

Nobody has either of these? I know the Karnov's Revenge one is right there in the booklet. Tanomimasu:)

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Nobody has either of these? I know the Karnov's Revenge one is right there in the booklet. Tanomimasu:)

I'll check my mooks, etc for the fatal fury art and will take a look at the karnov manual later if no one posts it by this evening.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Is this the Karnov art you're looking for? I'm also checking for the fatal fury art.

Fighters History Dynamite.JPG

Edit: No dice on a clean version of the fatal fury art so far...

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Wasn't Karnov originally Russian?

there was a time when asians had trouble depicting the right nationality to certain characters. i think even duck king was portrayed as being white at times.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I think the Fatal Fury illustration may possibly be inside the Japanese AES booklet..

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
That is indeed the Karnov's Revenge one. Thank you so much-you're awesome:)

No prob. Glad I could help.

I think the Fatal Fury illustration may possibly be inside the Japanese AES booklet..

Unfortunately, I didn't see it in there. I looked in every garou ng manual that I have in my possession. I checked the following manuals:

AES Fatal Fury (usa ver)
AES Garou Densetsu (jp ver)
NGCD Garou Densetsu (jp ver)

I also checked my Fatal Fury 1 related illustration books and mooks stuff to no avail :-/

Perhaps a clean version of the art could be present in the manuals/artwork of one of the console ports?...

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
No prob. Glad I could help.

Unfortunately, I didn't see it in there. I looked in every garou ng manual that I have in my possession. I checked the following manuals:

AES Fatal Fury (usa ver)
AES Garou Densetsu (jp ver)
NGCD Garou Densetsu (jp ver)

I also checked my Fatal Fury 1 related illustration books and mooks stuff to no avail :-/

Perhaps a clean version of the art could be present in the manuals/artwork of one of the console ports?...

Thanks again for looking into this. Much appreciated. Hmm.. unfortunately, I think because it looks like a pretty early production sketch it may have not been reprinted outside the JP AES insert.

I'm kinda curious who was the first person to sketch and create the Fatal Fury characters and what their inspiration was. I know it was the SF 1 guy's baby.. but, I'm not sure if he was responsible for character designs.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
They're talking about you boy
But you're still the same

+1 for Nightcall :buttrock:

Thanks again for looking into this. Much appreciated. Hmm.. unfortunately, I think because it looks like a pretty early production sketch it may have not been reprinted outside the JP AES insert.

I'm kinda curious who was the first person to sketch and create the Fatal Fury characters and what their inspiration was. I know it was the SF 1 guy's baby.. but, I'm not sure if he was responsible for character designs.

If it helps, I posted a little bit on Terry's original character designs a little while ago. I could post additional rough designs and images for Andy, Joe, and the gang if it would be useful. The meaning/significance of the "R" used in Terry Bogard's original design was always of interest to me. He lacked the iconic hat and jacket and resembled Duke Edwards from Burning Fight/Cody from Final Fight:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-at-Terry-Bogard-s-original-character-designs

Supposedly, Final Fight (and many other japanese beat em ups via imitation of that title's success) borrowed imagery from the movie "Streets of Fire". Plausible, but the similarities between Final Fight's Cody and Terry's initial design may simply be the result of team members from Street Fighter 1 and the planned beat em up that became Final Fight, leaving Capcom with Nishiyama-san and joining SNK's Street Smart team to work on the "Real Bout" project that became Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu.

Duke Edwards' design from Burning Fight, Axel from SoR, etc I'd chock up to "inspiration" from Final Fight's success. As to the original artist's name for the initial Fatal Fury sketches, I'll see what I can find later if no one else beats me to it.

Last edited:

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
+1 for Nightcall :buttrock:

If it helps, I posted a little bit on Terry's original character designs a little while ago. I could post additional rough designs and images for Andy, Joe, and the gang if it would be useful. The meaning/significance of the "R" used in Terry Bogard's original design was always of interest to me. He lacked the iconic hat and jacket and resembled Duke Edwards from Burning Fight/Cody from Final Fight:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-at-Terry-Bogard-s-original-character-designs

Supposedly, Final Fight (and many other japanese beat em ups via imitation of that title's success) borrowed imagery from the movie "Streets of Fire". Plausible, but the similarities between Final Fight's Cody and Terry's initial design may simply be the result of team members from Street Fighter 1 and the planned beat em up that became Final Fight, leaving Capcom with Nishiyama-san and joining SNK's Street Smart team to work on the "Real Bout" project that became Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu.

Duke Edwards' design from Burning Fight, Axel from SoR, etc I'd chock up to "inspiration" from Final Fight's success. As to the original artist's name for the initial Fatal Fury sketches, I'll see what I can find later if no one else beats me to it.

Lot's of very interesting tidbits of info in there.. you're very knowledgeable.

I read once that the character Guy from Final Fight was inspired by a member of the band Fugazi, Guy Picciotto. And, the song Jungle Bouncer in KOF '94 is basically Surprise You're Dead by Faith no More.. just youtube those songs and you'll see..

But, back on topic..

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Lot's of very interesting tidbits of info in there.. you're very knowledgeable.

I read once that the character Guy from Final Fight was inspired by a member of the band Fugazi, Guy Picciotto. And, the song Jungle Bouncer in KOF '94 is basically Surprise You're Dead by Faith no More.. just youtube those songs and you'll see..

But, back on topic..

Thanks, I'm just an ng nerd who grew up with way too much time on his hands lol

I've heard about capcom basing Guy on a musician, but I don't know much about him (the musician). The music comparison is pretty neat. I've watched a few youtube videos comparing Yuzo Koshiro's music with some classic dance hits too.

Back on topic, I didn't see any information citing a name for the rough sketches. The concept pieces could have been done by anyone. I believe Garou Densetsu cites about 8 or so individuals for character design, but who knows if they were directly involved with the sketchwork or sprites or both.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks, I'm just an ng nerd who grew up with way too much time on his hands lol

I've heard about capcom basing Guy on a musician, but I don't know much about him (the musician). The music comparison is pretty neat. I've watched a few youtube videos comparing Yuzo Koshiro's music with some classic dance hits too.

Back on topic, I didn't see any information citing a name for the rough sketches. The concept pieces could have been done by anyone. I believe Garou Densetsu cites about 8 or so individuals for character design, but who knows if they were directly involved with the sketchwork or sprites or both.

It's all good.. I would like to think everyone here on this site is very passionate about the NG. Probably my favorite Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack is for Revenge of Shinobi.. I think it's pretty cool Data Discs has released a bunch of vintage Mega Drive soundtracks on vinyl.

However, my favorite Mega Drive composer is Motoi Sakuraba of Wolf Team. He did OSTs for Final Zone, Zak, El Viento.. now those make the MD sound amazing IMO.