Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Would’ve preferred the SamSho 2019 (or update) Engine, but what @BlackaneseNiNjA said.
All of their new games since Sam Sho 2019 have been running Unreal 4 engine. Safe bet this one is too unless they've bumped up to Unreal 5, but I highly doubt that.

I think it looks pretty fantastic. They've got the graphics totally nailed down and those stages look great. I just hope it plays more like Garou and less like KOF 15 in terms of timing and feel. Honestly a bit hard to tell here.

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
To those that think this doesn't look good, where do you stand on SF5 and SF6?

I think all modern fighters look bad. SF6 especially looks like ass IMO. But I'm not the target audience at all. I'm sure I just don't get it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

I think all modern fighters look bad. SF6 especially looks like ass IMO. But I'm not the target audience at all. I'm sure I just don't get it.
IMO, the thing is that SFIV did it to death. V seemed to tone it down a bit. I haven't played VI. But it's kinda lame that SNK has just been like "Yeah, sure, just copy that but shittier." It's better than the alternative of semi-realistic art styles, but if they're not going to do sprites - even puppeted sprites - I wish they would just go the ArkSys route, as gross as that feels.

Terry needs some Pantene by the way.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

What would look good to you then in your opinion? Just curious.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
SF6 looks ok IMO. It just doesn't have a good feel when I play it.
That's more important than how it looks.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I personally think the Guilty Gear and Dragon Ball FighterZ look is the most appealing to me. I like that 2d art style.

This Garou game doesn't look that bad but still not my cup of tea. I actually prefer SF V art over VI. I played the VI Demo and didn't like the look and feel. Still prefer the older SF's though. Never got into the New KoF games but I'm not a fan of KOF to begin with. Love the original SamSho games but don't like the look and feel of the new one either.

I'm too old and set in my ways. All this 3d stuff on a 2d plane is for youngsters. It's either all 3d like Tekken or Soul Calibur or just really pretty 2d comic book art.

Theruff

Cheng's Errand Boy

Feel the same way about SF5/6, this new FF game, and most other new fighters: they’re trying too hard. It’s as if they believe people’s attention span is 3 seconds long. If there’s no flashy colors and 1000 particle effects going off at all times, the player will lose interest. I just want to focus on the game without the visual vomit on screen.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
What would look good to you then in your opinion? Just curious.
Like I said I'm not the target audience. I think almost all modern games look bad. For fighters I prefer what was happening around the Skullgirls/KOF13/Persona era. That approach seems abandoned for the most part. Can't really blame the companies, the new games probably cost a fraction to make.

HellioN

20 Year Member
We will probably never see another game that looks like XIII again except for something maybe done by some tiny independent studio.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Like I said I'm not the target audience. I think almost all modern games look bad. For fighters I prefer what was happening around the Skullgirls/KOF13/Persona era. That approach seems abandoned for the most part. Can't really blame the companies, the new games probably cost a fraction to make.
Players today expect modern 3D graphics for a AA/AAA game.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Think they might stick some art of fighting references or characters in this game? After all, in one of the early trailers they had the map of South Town and had some voice clips from both FF and AOF characters playing. Plus it seems pretty unlikely AOF would get its own official separate game.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Think they might stick some art of fighting references or characters in this game? After all, in one of the early trailers they had the map of South Town and had some voice clips from both FF and AOF characters playing. Plus it seems pretty unlikely AOF would get its own official separate game.
Marco Rodriguez is a Kyokugenryu student of Ryo.
We think we've spotted King and Jack in the background of the bar.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It looks marginally better than the last KOF. So at least they're moving in the right direction, even if way too slowly.