ethnic foods

Legend_of_joe

Cheng's Errand Boy
i really love ethnic foods. they expand your horizons as far as taste goes. around here weve got alot of mexican resturaunts and asian resturaunts. since its a small town we actually know the people too which makes it even better. its like youre coming over to their place to eat rather than helping their business. my favorite dish is the chimichanga at a mexican place. and i also love it when they bring out the steaming platter of fried vegetables and chicken. think ill go eat there now :tickled:

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Legend_of_joe said:
i really love ethnic foods. they expand your horizons as far as taste goes. around here weve got alot of mexican resturaunts and asian resturaunts. since its a small town we actually know the people too which makes it even better. its like youre coming over to their place to eat rather than helping their business. my favorite dish is the chimichanga at a mexican place. and i also love it when they bring out the steaming platter of fried vegetables and chicken. think ill go eat there now :tickled:
So its like paying to eat at your friends house? That sounds shitty :kekeke:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
beans give me the shits, true story.
Ehh. Maybe not.

The traditional mexican food joints suck down here cause you get to lucky getting bones in your food. I love this one chicken burrito they have, but eating it is to much of a gamble. This sucks to, because no other food joint has that same burrito. *as far as I know*

Last edited:

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Legend_of_joe said:

You scare me.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Indian food is where it's at. Also, there is a sushi buffet here that is great that also happens to have korean barbecue. Really nice stuff.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm all for foreign foods, I love trying new things.

If it was once a living animal and has been prepared the right way, I believe I'll give it a go. :mr_t:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Yeah I like to spectrumize my ethnic foods. I regularly enjoy...

Japanese food
*Real Chinese food (not Americanized Crap)
Thai food
Indian food
Wild Game
Greek food
Vietnamese food
Mexican food

of course mixed in with the American greasy cheeseburger, fries & coke.

GK

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
Grizzly King said:

Word!

Official Chinese food tastes so much cleaner and tastier - - there's not 10 lbs of grease slapped across it.

I also really, REALLY dig Ethiopian. Their spicy goatis fucking good.

PUNJABEE

Banned
Legend_of_joe said:

Chimichanga is not 'mexican'. It's Tex-Mex.

You want Mexican, eat some chile relleno, Menudo, Fajitas (not chicken Fajitas, mainly because chicken fajitas don't exist in our reality), Posole, Machacado or Cabrito.

*about the Chicken Fajitas comment. "Fajita" is not the way you cut the beef. It's a PART of the cow. In english the Fajita is commonly referred to as the "Beef Skirt". Whenever you go to Taco Cabana (a fake mexican place) and order Fajitas, they ask you "chicken or beef". That's like ordering a Pork Chop and then they ask you "deer or fish?" Sorry. that annoys me to no end. /rant.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Grizzly King said:
Yeah I like to spectrumize my ethnic foods. I regularly enjoy...

Japanese food
Thai food
Indian food
Wild Game
Greek food
Vietnamese food
Mexican food

of course mixed in with the American greasy cheeseburger, fries & coke.

GK

Greek food is good but its either hit or miss. To many things are nasty. Avgolemono soup is so rich you will be dying finishing it.

My ultimate passion is and always will be Italian food. It has no nasty side effects like the mexican shit and I love so many dishes I could probably just randomly order something at buca and be happy.

Legend_of_joe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
Greek food is good but its either hit or miss. To many things are nasty. Avgolemono soup is so rich you will be dying finishing it.

My ultimate passion is and always will be Italian food. It has no nasty side effects like the mexican shit and I love so many dishes I could probably just randomly order something at buca and be happy.

hm i dont think ive ever had greek food before. ill try and get some first chance i get. yeah there isnt too many good italian places where i live. maybe 1 or 2. but there are quite a few hawiian joints.

YO-YO-Boy

Benimaru's Hairdresser
IMTheWalrus said:
Indian food is where it's at. Also, there is a sushi buffet here that is great that also happens to have korean barbecue. Really nice stuff.
indian & shushi are the tightiest!

then again so are fish pork deer chops! :loco:

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
I have an endless list of ethnic foods. Here are some of my favorite ones:

Korean short ribs BBQ
Filipino Lumpia
Vietamese Pho(beef noodle soup)
Japanese spider roll sushi
Malaysian Curry fish head soup
Chinese Mongolian Beef
Phad Thai noodles
Indian pan bread/ Tan dori Chicken
Ethiopian sponge bread with curry dip
Common Italian dishes
Shake n Bake pork chops

Beverages:
Taiwanese Bubble Tea(Taro flavor)
Thai Ice Tea
Vietnamese Cafe Suda
Filipino Halo Halo

I'm a sucker for a good ol' burger as well. Too bad we don't get Carl's Jr. or In N Out up here.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
dakingofzumunda said:
I have an endless list of ethnic foods. Here are some of my favorite ones:

Korean short ribs BBQ
Filipino Lumpia
Vietamese Pho(beef noodle soup)
Japanese spider roll sushi
Malaysian Curry fish head soup
Chinese Mongolian Beef
Phad Thai noodles
Indian pan bread/ Tan dori Chicken
Ethiopian sponge bread with curry dip
Common Italian dishes
Shake n Bake pork chops

Beverages:
Taiwanese Bubble Tea(Taro flavor)
Thai Ice Tea
Vietnamese Cafe Suda
Filipino Halo Halo

I'm a sucker for a good ol' burger as well. Too bad we don't get Carl's Jr. or In N Out up here.

heeeeeeeey i actually got a chance to have ethiopian spongy flat bread with that
sauce.
pretty cool.
i'm a fan of indian food, good hot food.
i like thai, real mexican food :0
and of course korean food.
never had "real" chinese food.
i have no idea where to start looking either.
alot of it is just buffet places.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I love Mexican food, real Mexican food, not Taco Bell. Family owned restaraunts are the only joints I eat at. You can always tell how good of a restaraunt it is by how the chile relleno or the enchilada's taste. And I always get a couple of Coronas w/lime & salt to wash it down.

I also love Italian Food. Again family owned restaraunts are the only way to go.

Damn, I'm making myself hungry, and it's almost 11:30 at night here.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
rarehero said:
never had "real" chinese food.
i have no idea where to start looking either.
alot of it is just buffet places.

I first had it in China Town Chicago when I was up there in 1998 to meet Chow Yun-Fat and see the world premiere of The Replacement Killers. The regular menu was in English and was your basic Sweet & Sour Pork, Beef & Broccli etc. I asked to eat as a native and the waiter said "Very Good Sir" and he brought me a menu all in Chinese. Then I had to ask. What is what. What would you recommend.

Ended up having this grilled fish soup with the head attached, + camel guts w. spicy sauce and some other dish that was like Mushu Pork only a bit better and a much bigger portion. Damn good food. One of my contact's families here in SATX sister is from Taiwan. Whenever she's in town I get treated to "REAL" Chinese food. Basically you have to either have to live in close proximity to a chinatown of sorts, or know someone who can cook it, which is usually elderly ppl since most girls today throw shit in a microwave in China/Taiwan/Hong Kong no different than here. Next time Shu Hua is in town I'll give you a buzz and make you my guest of honor.

GK

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
ki_atsushi said:
I love Mexican food, real Mexican food, not Taco Bell. Family owned restaraunts are the only joints I eat at. You can always tell how good of a restaraunt it is by how the chile relleno or the enchilada's taste. And I always get a couple of Coronas w/lime & salt to wash it down.

I also love Italian Food. Again family owned restaraunts are the only way to go.

Damn, I'm making myself hungry, and it's almost 11:30 at night here.

What italian joints you visit?

For others in cali:
Only greek joints I've been to were Papa Cristo's *awesome kebabs there* family owned.

The other is Yanni's, which had excellent ambience. Yanni's didnt get a fair shake from me. I ordered something I didnt like and should have cycled more. Its awesome cause it feel's like you are inside of this ship when you enter. Good stuff.

The bouzouki music was good for both. I prefer the folk music with singing sometimes. (Kanzantzidis is awesome). Fragosyriani is a great song and you will probably hear this tune and not know what it is. Theres different versions of this song, but on a cd called "Dinner in greece" the best version I've ever heard is on it. The song is good for eating, its great dinner music. Gives you a chance to absorb some culture and eat a meal. Just be aware the food is super rich, so order the smallest amount. You won't be able to handle a big meal if you are not used to it.

rarehero

20 Year Member
Grizzly King said:
I first had it in China Town Chicago when I was up there in 1998 to meet Chow Yun-Fat and see the world premiere of The Replacement Killers. The regular menu was in English and was your basic Sweet & Sour Pork, Beef & Broccli etc. I asked to eat as a native and the waiter said "Very Good Sir" and he brought me a menu all in Chinese. Then I had to ask. What is what. What would you recommend.

Ended up having this grilled fish soup with the head attached, + camel guts w. spicy sauce and some other dish that was like Mushu Pork only a bit better and a much bigger portion. Damn good food. One of my contact's families here in SATX sister is from Taiwan. Whenever she's in town I get treated to "REAL" Chinese food. Basically you have to either have to live in close proximity to a chinatown of sorts, or know someone who can cook it, which is usually elderly ppl since most girls today throw shit in a microwave in China/Taiwan/Hong Kong no different than here. Next time Shu Hua is in town I'll give you a buzz and make you my guest of honor.

GK

rock on brother.
i need to learn how to cook korean though.
start bugging my mom about that.
:chump:

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
rarehero said:
rock on brother.
i need to learn how to cook korean though.
start bugging my mom about that.
:chump:

Ed:

If you long Korean Barbecue and want DIY, it's easy.

1. Buy Korean Barbecue Mix by NOH of Hawaii

2. Instead of just adding water, do this

-Prepare 1 to 1.25 libs of thin sliced beef, chicken, or pork, better with some fats
-Put the sliced meet with sauce mix + 1 cup of mized water/soysauce (depending on how much stronger you want the taste, I recommend 1/3 soy sauce and 2/3 water) + 2 tea spoons of sugar + 4 inches of chopped green onion
-Store in fridge overnight, 4-5 hours aren't enough, half way through, turn the container around so the meat get evenly marinated.
-Use mini grill like George Foreman, don't use the large ones as the gap is too high for the meat to get brown, use the tiny one.
-Serve the meat with rice and kimchi, yummi, you'll have a real treats for your buddies, I did this with some of my friends and they love it.
-While you marinate, do not add garlic or ginger at all since this will kill the taste of the barbecue.
-You can prepare more by multiplying everything above (maintain the proportion though)

3. The purpose of Korean barbecue is, you grill while chat with guests.

4. Obviously some restaurants have their own secret recipes but this is much easier and practical.

I've also learned how to cook some of Taiwanese dishes on my own, I've developed hatred toward fast foods here, we're not just talking about obesity, but also heart burns, high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart attacks, if I don't cook, I'd starve.

Last edited:

rarehero

20 Year Member
thanks vince.
i like the hot pork bulgugi myself.
definitely on the marination though.
that's one thing i've never learned to do.
i work around alot of international students and
am pretty fond of all of their cook skills,
definitely a pretty special trait.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
My father works with a man who's wife makes the most amazing spring and egg rolls I've ever tasted.

One day I will kidnap her.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Unfortunately, I've been subjected to Americanized crap as GK put it, however, I have have authentic Mexican, Cuban, Japanese, and Jamaican.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I live in Germany and they have a million Turkish kebab shops around here. That shit is so good it will make you want to slap yo mama.

I just have a liking for things from the areas in and near the middle east, and this food just tickles my fancy(that sounded gay)

p.s. turkish girls are hot.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I'll tear up some...

Tex-Mex
Thai
Japanese
Italian

...and the typical american fare.

Chimichanga
Pad See-Ew
Sushi
Fettucini

...gimme, gimme, gimme.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
What italian joints you visit?

For others in cali:
Only greek joints I've been to were Papa Cristo's *awesome kebabs there* family owned.

The other is Yanni's, which had excellent ambience. Yanni's didnt get a fair shake from me. I ordered something I didnt like and should have cycled more. Its awesome cause it feel's like you are inside of this ship when you enter. Good stuff.

The bouzouki music was good for both. I prefer the folk music with singing sometimes. (Kanzantzidis is awesome). Fragosyriani is a great song and you will probably hear this tune and not know what it is. Theres different versions of this song, but on a cd called "Dinner in greece" the best version I've ever heard is on it. The song is good for eating, its great dinner music. Gives you a chance to absorb some culture and eat a meal. Just be aware the food is super rich, so order the smallest amount. You won't be able to handle a big meal if you are not used to it.

I usually go to a small joint called "Luna's". It's a family owned italian restaraunt that's been around for over 30 years! Good food. I like their calzones and meatball sandwiches. Their bread is baked fresh all day, so chances are you're going to get a loaf that is still warm and fluffy. The bread is complimentary too!