English-friendly Wonderswan games?

Austin

n00b
Hey, I am curious to know what Wonderswan games exist (color or b&w) that do not require any sort of Japanese to understand. Platformers, shooters, arcade titles, etc are what I am primarily interested in discovering.

I am aware of a few titles such as the Ghosts N Goblins title, Gunpey, Beatmania, Rockman & Forte. What else am I missing--any ideas?

Last edited:

crux

New Challenger
If you're willing to pony up some dough, there's Dicing Knight and Judgment Silversword. Import friendly and two of the best games for the system. There's Crazy Climber, which works pretty well on the system due to the vertical (TATE-esque) setup. There's a number of puzzle games, like Tetris, Magical Drop, Mr. Driller, Gunpey, Taro no Panda, Puyo Puyo 2, etc. There's Guilty Gear, Golden Axe, Space Invaders and others. I haven't played the vast majority of them (I only own Beatmania, Judgment Silversword, and Crazy Climber), so I can't comment on their quality, but that should give you a place to start.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
I bought a Wonderswan specifically for Makaimura (Ghosts and Goblins) since Im a big fan of the series. It's a black & white game but no Japanese required to enjoy.

I also have Beatmania, which is a pretty good handheld version.

If you are into fighters, I heard the Guilty Gears and Pocket Fighter are decent games.

Austin

n00b
Nice, thanks for the responses guys. It looks like there is a lot more out there than I thought.

Beatmania is one of the ones I am most curious about... Used to own all of the PS2 releases (at least back when 11th style was still new). Is the mini turntable accessory necessary to play the game? It seems I only see loose cart-only copies of the game on eBay.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
What kind of Wonderswan hardware do you have? B&W, Color, or Crystal?

Austin

n00b
I have a B&W unit on the way as I write this. I will be getting a color unit as well as soon as I can find a complete one at a decent price online.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Is there nothing on the SwanCrystal that you want?

Austin

n00b
I was under the impression that the Crystal was just a Color with a better screen?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Yeah, you're right. There is nothing exclusively playable on the Swancrystal.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Run=Dim is very good
Digimon Battle Spirit 1.5 is excellent
Guilty Gear Petit

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
Nice, thanks for the responses guys. It looks like there is a lot more out there than I thought.

Beatmania is one of the ones I am most curious about... Used to own all of the PS2 releases (at least back when 11th style was still new). Is the mini turntable accessory necessary to play the game? It seems I only see loose cart-only copies of the game on eBay.

The mini turntable is not necessary to play. It basically fits over the "A, B" buttons but not very useful. I actually play without it since it doesn't fit too well on the color wonderswan.

Austin

n00b
The mini turntable is not necessary to play. It basically fits over the "A, B" buttons but not very useful. I actually play without it since it doesn't fit too well on the color wonderswan.

Ah, cool. I will snag a cart-only copy then if it's not required. Will be much cheaper than that $30+ complete copy that just sold on eBay.. :)

Last edited:

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
Has anyone played Dicing Knight and Judgment Silversword on actual hardware? I'd like to know how they compare vs. emulation.

crux

New Challenger
I've never played it via emulator, but likely the biggest difference would just be the buttons. Tiny buttons on the handheld, thus adding a challenge. Plus it's just cool doing a TATE setup on a handheld.

Judgment Silversword that is. There shouldn't be any significant difference whatsoever with Dicing Knight.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
I've never played it via emulator, but likely the biggest difference would just be the buttons. Tiny buttons on the handheld, thus adding a challenge. Plus it's just cool doing a TATE setup on a handheld.

Judgment Silversword that is. There shouldn't be any significant difference whatsoever with Dicing Knight.

So it doesn't suffer from flickering? I'm really interested in Dicing Knight too, I have almost all of Platine Dispositif's games.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Can someone describe Run=Dim? I can't find much info on it.

I just got Rhyme Rider Kerirocan which I think is from the Vib Ribbon designers. It's short but good and doesn't require Japanese to play as long as you have the box, which has the instructions printed on it.

I also got Gundam Operation UC, which is a horizontal shooter. Just got it today, though, so I haven't tried it yet.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Can someone describe Run=Dim? I can't find much info on it.

I just got Rhyme Rider Kerirocan which I think is from the Vib Ribbon designers. It's short but good and doesn't require Japanese to play as long as you have the box, which has the instructions printed on it.

I also got Gundam Operation UC, which is a horizontal shooter. Just got it today, though, so I haven't tried it yet.

I had Run=Dim back when I had a Wonderswan. It's pretty good, albeit super easy. It plays like a typical hori shooter, with a little mech character. Handful of powerups, etc. All nicely rendered even if there is nothing groundbreaking. I played it quite a bit along with Digimon 1.5

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I had Run=Dim back when I had a Wonderswan. It's pretty good, albeit super easy. It plays like a typical hori shooter, with a little mech character. Handful of powerups, etc. All nicely rendered even if there is nothing groundbreaking. I played it quite a bit along with Digimon 1.5

Sounds good. I'm assuming it's expensive :(

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
hell yeah

:vik: I found a place in Oosu, Nagoya that has looooooooots of old/retro/vintage gamer stuff, among them, Wonder Swan colors for 10usd... I'm definitely gettin' one, and in Akihabara may be the Golden Axe or the Guilty Gear petit :buttrock::buttrock: