England/Britain, same thing or what?

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
I was playing poker with this guy with a heavy accent and I eventually asked if he was from England. He went into this little tirade (in a friendly way) that he was from Britain not England and that there's a big difference between the two. The guy wouldn't explain himself though so maybe someone here can shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
He could have been from Wales or Scotland or (giggle) Northern Ireland.

Its like someone getting upset that you said they were from New York when theyre from South Dakota.

^What Nesagwa said.

But really, the Brits do love to rant when they get drunk. You just gave him an excuse.

Tell him you believe they all drink warm beer, that'll get another good tirade going. :)

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
He was definitely from England/Britain because he kept talking about it and said himself he was from there. If he hadn't made it clear earlier in the game, I would have asked if he was from the UK. Nice and vague, since I would need Wikipedia to tell me all the places that make up the UK. :emb:

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Dude- if someone is that vague- ya gotta press them.

Here's a scenario for you:

"So uh, your accent makes me think you're from.... England?"

"Uh- don't go there miss thang- I be from Great Britain!"

"Uh, ok homegirl- by Great Britain I take it to mean a nation made up of several countries- in your case Mother England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales?"

"Yo - represent!"

Ok, for some reason I got Englishmen and fat, American, jive-talking black women confused, but you get my drift.

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
talks2wall said:
I was playing poker with this guy with a heavy accent and I eventually asked if he was from England. He went into this little tirade (in a friendly way) that he was from Britain not England and that there's a big difference between the two. The guy wouldn't explain himself though so maybe someone here can shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

it is funny you saying that as I on the other hand am known as english and i wont put british on any form i have to fill in because british could mean anything (even a nigerian who has married a british lady could get a british passport)

but what i want to know now from someone as too lazy to find out myself and i live here but what is the difference between united kingdom and britain because i have heard ppl say they are from england, they are from britain or they are from the united kingdom

what is weird too though is although i am english i dont have the english flag as my location flag but i have the union jack as to me the union jack stands more for good old fashion english/british values

Last edited:

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
Lee Gray said:
but what i want to know now from someone as too lazy to find out myself and i live here but what is the difference between united kingdom and britain because i have heard ppl say they are from england, they are from britain or they are from the united kingdom
According to the New Oxford American Dictionary via my Mac:
uk.gif

UK is a collection of countries, while England or (Great?) Britain refers to a single country that's within the UK. So if you're from England then technically you're from the UK, but being from the UK doesn't mean you're from England. Like saying that I'm from California means I'm from America, but being from America doesn't mean I'm from California. Maybe the Brit I was talking to had some special distinction is his heart about being from England vs Britain. :conf:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
talks2wall said:
According to the New Oxford American Dictionary via my Mac:
uk.gif

UK is a collection of countries, while England or (Great?) Britain refers to a single country that's within the UK. So if you're from England then technically you're from the UK, but being from the UK doesn't mean you're from England. Like saying that I'm from California means I'm from America, but being from America doesn't mean I'm from California. Maybe the Brit I was talking to had some special distinction is his heart about being from England vs Britain. :conf:

No.

UK = The Isle of Britannia + Northern Ireland

Britain = All the countries on the island (Scotland, England, Wales, Cornlawl.)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Go colonialism!

Nes is corect.

CIA World Factbook said:
Country Name:
conventional long form: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; note - Great Britain includes England, Scotland, and Wales
conventional short form: United Kingdom
abbreviation: UK

Your first stop for geography should always be here:

The CIA World Factbook

Great, free, resource updated every year from government (CIA) intelligience.

And just when you thought the structure of the UK couldn't get any wackier, lets not forget about the Commonwealth!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I'll bet that guy was from Scotland. For some reason, Scottish people always hate being confused with someone from England.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:

Its like someone getting upset that you said they were from New York when theyre from South Dakota.

Yeah, still an ass... He could have said... "No, I'm from Scotland or whatever."

melchia

Franco's Trainer
zenimus is probably right...he was more than willing to tell you that you weren't right but not so willing to give the correct specific location. makes sense :spock:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I tell people that I Live in the E.U.

Estados Unidos

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member
Nesagwa said:

I'm from South Dakota

aria

Former Moderator
If you want to be more formal its Great Britain (GB). GB is England, Scotland and Wales. UK is GB and Northern Ireland.

Zenimus said:
I'll bet that guy was from Scotland. For some reason, Scottish people always hate being confused with someone from England.

Or even Welsh, I've known a few --they're usually not as pissy when you mistake them, but they can be proud of their heritage and sometimes nonsensical spelling (as a result of "Cymraeg" or whatever the call it). As was said earlier, alcohol helps loosen those juices.

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
It's just odd because he kept going on and on about England, but then corrected me without much clarification to where he was really from. Oh well, I forgive him and this has been a good geography lesson for me. :) Normally I don't make much idle chat when playing poker anyway.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Take the Lime out of your Gin and tonic and throw it at him.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
talks2wall said:
It's just odd because he kept going on and on about England, but then corrected me without much clarification to where he was really from. Oh well, I forgive him and this has been a good geography lesson for me. :) Normally I don't make much idle chat when playing poker anyway.

Well, if he sounded like Shrek, Fat Bastard (from Austin Powers), or Sean Connery, you can bet it was a Scotsman.

Off the top of my head though, I can't seem to remember what any of the Welsh accents sound like. All I know is, heaven help you if you try to pronounce the full name of the Llanfairpwll Railway Station. :loco:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Zenimus said:
Well, if he sounded like Shrek, Fat Bastard (from Austin Powers),
:

best was the father from So I Married an Axe-Murderer?