Emulation

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Let me start off by saying that this topic led me to investigate emulation for myself.
All I can say after having downloaded the roms for Metal Slug 1,2 and X, Blazing Star, Ninja Master's and Kizuna encounter is.....Wow. This really is somewhat exciting, and at the same time disturbing, because my desire to buy the aforementioned games in home (AES) cart format has decreased by a large margin. Granted, this is the only way many will ever play some of these games, but I feel somewhat bad about enjoying them so much. I really do feel that the Neo home system is the best EVER, and I think I now know why emulation isn't discussed very often on this forum.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Hey neobuyer, I think you'll find that most people here are not against emulation except in a few cases:

1) If ROMs are dumped for very new games such as Metal Slug 3 and KOF2K, before SNK has a chance to see a decent return at the arcades
2) If pirates try to sell the emulated games burned onto CDRs, as frequently happens on eBay. These guys are just scumbags trying to make money from stuff they had nothing to do with producing in the first place.

Other than those, I have no probs with people downloading and using ROMs on their PC. I've done it myself, but my feeling is that running the games emulated on a PC doesn't come close to equalling the experience of playing the games on your TV from a REAL Neo Geo console, or through an arcade MVS cabinet with REAL cartridges. Most people here, I think, will agree with that.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
sorry my first double post!
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by chimpmeister (edited November 05, 2000).]

ibbo

n00b
Woah, I thought this thread was long dead, hey that rhymes! Personally though I don't even own an AES/MVS system, not even a CD system, the newest system I have is an N64. The main reason why I was interested is because emulation right now is being taken advantage of just to get tings for free, not to enjoy something which you never got a chance to use, I know that in the far east and on ebay that CD Romset compilations of all the KOF and FF games are often entitled as conversions and are priced at about $5-10, that's the section that I don't like, and all that is is panhandling, waiting for some uneducated soul to stumble across them thinking that this is a fantastic deal. The fact that no credit is often given to Emulation authors (Neoragex Authors- Anders Nilsson and Janne Korpela), yet heaps of gratification is given to the roms site owners is another thing which springs infinite wonder for myself. Personally I try to stay away from the widespread emulation scene (such as emux.com) and rarely download any new emulators in a month as I see the constant back-biting and cuss slinging on every other site. Hopefully it's just a passing fad and everyone one will become fascinated with the next new thing (probably a dreamcast emulator) and hopefully leave us all alone. Maybe oneday my dream MVS system will fall open my doorstep.