Electronic Music Producers - Post Your Songs \ Videos

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, we had a backup rollback last night.

Made this one today:

...and this was made two days ago (link got deleted during the rollback):

I also have quite some stuff laying around in my studio, sometimes it's a bit overwhelming. I counter the problem by only setting up stuff I really need and also keep changing my setup around a lot to prevent procrastination.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Cool stuff. How long does it take you to do an average track?

Most of the time, I'll have the majority of a track completed in a few hours... but then I'll spend another few hours tweaking/fine tuning & adding new bits here and there.
The track I made yesterday however, I got started around 1pm & didn't finish until almost midnight(granted, I did take breaks)
and this is the one from yesterday:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
On average I work three to four hours on a track plus another hour for mastering with Reaper. I like doing things quickly and accept small and not-so-small bugs to creep into the process, keeps things interesting (well, at least from my point of view). I spend way more time with creating new sounds and samples, today I made a new set of drum/perc samples that I used for Neumatom, you'll hear more of it in the not-so-distant future. :)

Oh, and sometimes finding a title for a track is the hardest part.

Nice new track, Cylo, cool 80s feeling with some early Detroit echos! Me like. I often want to make a track like that but end up with my usual boing-peng-boom-tschak...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Undust your bass speakers with Tak's patented Blo-A-Way™ System, only available here:

Good speakers or headphones recommended.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
So... Sunday, Funday.

I sat down to make something, uhm, technoid with voice samples taken from the YT clip Cylo posted but then swapped the TE PO-24 Office for the PO-20 Arcade and had a bassline running in no time... okay, so what about a chord sequence... ah, video game territory. Okay, why not, let's add some boom-tschak then, and there we are. Isn't it magnetic.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
A mix I made last night:

This is the first in a series of short mixes that I'm going to upload to SoundCloud when I feel like it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
This is becoming a Lightman blog, eh... :D

Well then, have at you ->

This is a little funky shifting-pattern something I made after I had created a few samples from the Monotron and Monotron Duo and turned them into string-like sounds. Notator lets you choose an arbitrary loop point for each track, they're all of odd (off-beat) length, except for the bassdrum track that was recorded on the Yamaha QX5 sequencer with 16 bars.

Monotron sounds were sampled, layered and detuned to give them a more lavish tone, I particularly like the low detuned saw-like pad. I've sampled the stuff with the Akai S2000 and spent some hours to loop them and set envelopes, filters and LFOs to add dynamics. I'm still amazed by the Monotrons, they may be small and quite noisy in some settings but if you get down to it and invest some time in them, you'll be rewared with tons and tons of great sounds.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I've basically been messing with just the TG33 as my main instrument. Haven't recorded anything, just trying to make some pads with it. I'll have something to add to this thread soon :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Really love that track above. Good stuff.

I saw this after listening to that track and thought of you:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1604261

Thanks.

The stands look good, guess these are downloadable templates for 3D printing, right?

I've experimented with various setups of my Monotrons and also made a prototype of a stand out of thick cardboard with a similar angle. It's nice but the mini jacks on the 'trons are surface-mounted on the PCB (and very shabbily so I might add) and if you put too much strain on them (where "too much" isn't really that much), they get lifted from their mounting points which breaks the connection. It gets even worse if you use bulky adaptors on the cable. A stand with an angle like that adds to the problem because the cables cannot rest on a surface when plugged in, that's why I canned my stand project, now I'm thinking of some sort of flat slider box where I can slide in the 'trons one after another and have them all in one compact unit. I also want to add a docking station for each 'tron inside of the box and install proper jacks (normal size) for each of them on the surface or sides... well, at least that's the plan, guess it will take a while as I'm not very good with that sort of DiY stuff.

When I'm using my Monotrons live, they sit flat on the table and get connected to my MC 202 via CV/Gate. For taking samples, I just connect them to my sampler and hold them like a video game controller.

I've found an external 1GB SCSI HD with case and cable for my S2000 sampler on local ebay classifieds for 30 bucks, will pick it up next week. Using floppy disks was okay on the little S20 sampler or for storing multi-drum setups where the single samples are very small but if you create longer samples for pads or voices, file sizes become quite large and you'll end up with a pile of 15 disks just for a single sound... when the HD is here, I'm going to go on a Monotron exploration tour again and make a shitload of samples...

I've basically been messing with just the TG33 as my main instrument. Haven't recorded anything, just trying to make some pads with it. I'll have something to add to this thread soon :)

As the wise men from Sonic TALK once said: Noodling gives you wings! :D

Take your time, nothing better than digging deep down into a synth to find out what makes it tick.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
You've been busy lately. I'll have to give those tracks a listen. I'm hoping to get something new done when I'm off this weekend. :emb:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Noticed your mix there. It's been awhile since I've put one together & will hopefully soon.

I started working on another track today... spent most of the day on it actually. I then started over from scratch and put this thing together in a few hours:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Goofing around on the modular (apologies for iPhone potato quality):

I moved my setup away from my PC so haven't been able to record anything properly.

I'm waiting on the power supply and distribution board kits to arrive in the mail so I can finish up the case I'm building and get some more modules. Desperately in need of more VCAs and Envelopes.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Goofing around on the modular (apologies for iPhone potato quality):

I moved my setup away from my PC so haven't been able to record anything properly.

I'm waiting on the power supply and distribution board kits to arrive in the mail so I can finish up the case I'm building and get some more modules. Desperately in need of more VCAs and Envelopes.

Looks good. I've bought a few control models from Doepfer a while ago, a multi-purpose LFO, multiples and a Wasp filter and I always wanted to add some voices to it but there's a gazillion things I need for my studio (among them a new mixer) so I've stopped browsing for new modules at the moment.

IMO a good way to quickly expand a small modular setup is adding a synth voice with additional control options, most of the time it's also cheaper than buying single modules (albeit not as flexible of course). These are my faves:

Intellijel Antlantis

Make Noise 0-Coast

Soundmachines Modular114 Synthvoice

First on my list would be the 0-Coast, followed by the Atlantis. The 0-Coast has a number of interesting routing options, its sound reminds me of Buchla stuff in some settings which is always a big plus in my ears. :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Anyway...

The glittery cold of absolute zero creeps into the Tungsten fuselage of inter-planetary interceptor MU01. Anti-gravity traces scutter through the tactical neural implant, making it difficult for Jan-Ra to concentrate on the Richter manouever he is about to perform. Gravos fired, all systems reverse, another hailstorm of bleeps and shards echo away in the Khafka caverns between Jan-Ra's ears. We are on Seq.MU01 now. Space is cold and deep.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
hello hello!... i should be in bed, but just finished this track. was originally supposed to be "techno"... but changed a tad :spock:

good night!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's electro funk: Sonderzug.

Abstract 5/4 rhythms meet analog bucket brigade delay.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Another electro funkay thing today:

The heavy kickdrum was one of the first samples I made myself with my then brand-new Akai S20 desktop sampler, it was taken from a modified 909 with a longer reverb phase. Very noisy (just listen to its noise tail...) but I still love it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
...and here's the last track for the next couple of days:

Eye Of Taurus

"Under the inverted bowl of the frozen night sky, a somnambulant column of worshippers shuffles across the windswept flagstones of an unlit courtyard behind the Burnt House. As the grey light of dawn seeps into the blackness above, outlining the broken walls enclosing them, the pentinent figures gather around their silent leader in a ragged circle. With a curious gesture, he directs their collective gaze upwards, to a pre-determined point in the heavens. There, a single yellow star commences a deliberate and intelligent series of flashes and darknesses, a cryptically-encoded message from beyond the abysses of time ... a malevolent, signalling eye."

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I felt that 'Lunar Base' track should have an original mix. This time it's more techno~y.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I slightly prefer the mix over the original :)

New track I made yesterday: Netzwerk B

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I dunno Tak... You seem to do a good job consistently. Where as I'll do something under 'Cylotron' & think "cool!". Then I'll get no likes and/or hardly any plays. Yet 'Altern8 Frequen-C' will get more attention.